Topics

Pressing arrow keys doesn't move the curser in Microsoft Office Excel

alirezaizadi199912@...

Hello all.
I have a problem with excel when using NVDA.
Sometimes, when I open excel to edit a worksheet, I can't move between the rows and columns using arrow keys, and I have to press tab/shift+tab or enter/shift+enter to go to other cells, or press insert+space to switch to browse mode and then navigate between the cells.
When I press arrow keys in focus mode, it reads the current cell value and doesn't move the curser. I can't select cells by pressing shift+arrow keys.
I'm using Win10/NVDA 2019.2 and Microsoft Office 2019, but I had this problem with older versions of these applications in Win7 too.
It seems that this problem occurs without any changes in settings once in a while and disappears automatically!

Edited

You are using a way-out-of-support version of NVDA in 2019.2, so please update to either 2020.3, or even better 2020.4RC1, to see if the issue still occurs.

If it does, then see my post The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues, and follow those, in order, to see if any one of the three causes the problem to cease.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Rui Fontes

Have you checked if ScrollLock is activated? If it is, deactivate it.

Rui Fontes

the

Às 12:17 de 17/02/2021, alirezaizadi199912@... escreveu:

Hello all.
I have a problem with excel when using NVDA.
Sometimes, when I open excel to edit a worksheet, I can't move between the rows and columns using arrow keys, and I have to press tab/shift+tab or enter/shift+enter to go to other cells, or press insert+space to switch to browse mode and then navigate between the cells.
When I press arrow keys in focus mode, it reads the current cell value and doesn't move the curser. I can't select cells by pressing shift+arrow keys.
I'm using Win10/NVDA 2019.2 and Microsoft Office 2019, but I had this problem with older versions of these applications in Win7 too.
It seems that this problem occurs without any changes in settings once in a while and disappears automatically!

Quentin Christensen

if it's moving through the text in the current cell when you arrow rather than changing cells, then you are in cell edit mode.  Normally you can arrow to tab between cells.  If you press F2, you will go into edit mode so you can edit the contents of a cell (without simply overwriting it).

is that what you are encountering?

If so, and if you'd like to improve your skills with Excel, NV Access has training material for using Excel with NVDA: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/microsoft-excel-training-for-nvda-ebook/

Kind regards

Quentin.