Problem to anounce some menu items

Marco Oros

Hello.

I have problem with announcing menu items in Mozilla Thunderbird. Let me explain It deeply:

For example, when I open submenu 'priority', NVDA doesn't report me first item, but when I press down arrow, It says next item without any problem.

Please, could You look on those submenu issues?

Note: I have Thunderbird in Slovak language, not in English.

Thank You.

Best regards

Marco Oros

hello.
this issue is resolved in new nvda version 2021.2.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Marco Oros

Hello.

I know It and yes, in most of menus NVDA announce first item without any problem, but in some submenus actually no.

I have newest version of NVDA.

Dňa 14. 9. 2021 o 17:50 zahra napísal(a):

hello.
this issue is resolved in new nvda version 2021.2.

On 9/14/21, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.

I have problem with announcing menu items in Mozilla Thunderbird. Let me
explain It deeply:

For example, when I open submenu 'priority', NVDA doesn't report me
first item, but when I press down arrow, It says next item without any
problem.

Please, could You look on those submenu issues?

Note: I have Thunderbird in Slovak language, not in English.

Thank You.

Best regards

Marco Oros

Lukasz Golonka

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 14:33:49 +0200
"Marco Oros" <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:

I have problem with announcing menu items in Mozilla Thunderbird. Let me explain It deeply:

For example, when I open submenu 'priority', NVDA doesn't report me first item, but when I press down arrow, It says next item without any problem.

Please, could You look on those submenu issues?
Have you tested this with NVDA 2021.2? This bug is supposedly fixed in
this version.

--
Regards
Lukasz

bering.p

Hi,
I'm not sure if it's the same isue but  when Itype "shift+f10"  with focus on desktop,
NVDA says "context menu" but the first submenu is not announced.
When focus is on thunderbird list, NVDA says "menu".
When focus is in the bloc-note edi   zone, NVDA says "context menu".
I think that the problem is not solved with nvda 2021.2.
Best regards.
Paul.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 05:17 PM, bering.p wrote:
I'm not sure if it's the same isue but  when Itype "shift+f10"  with focus on desktop,
NVDA says "context menu" but the first submenu is not announced.
-
And, based upon what I can see (literally) this would be the expected behavior.  If one has focus on the desktop itself, and not a shortcut or file on the desktop, when the context menu is opened no item in the context menu has initial focus, so there is nothing for NVDA to read to you other than the fact that the context menu is open.  You start having items announced once you begin arrowing through.

This seems to be the case for the context menu in general when invoked either on the desktop with no item selected, or with an item selected.  There is no focus on any specific item in the menu initially, and first focus only occurs once you begin the traversal process.

I don't have Thunderbird installed on this machine, but I do seem to recall that certain menus under Thunderbird behave similarly in that when they appear nothing in the menu itself has focus until you begin moving through it.

While this menu presentation is very far from "dirt common" it's not unheard of, either.  And it's somewhat analogous to what you see, too, in that visually nothing is selected in those menus when they pop-up.  Until and unless you click on something, nothing has focus and no action will be taken if you just hit enter or click anywhere except on one of the menu items.  If you do either of those two things the menu just disappears.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Dave Grossoehme

Afternoon:  Bryan you are correct that no item is read in Thunderbird with Shift + F10 key stroke.  I was reading your message in Thunderbird, so, I pressed the key stroke you spoke of.  You have to arrow up or down once before an item in the menu is spoken.  This is with the version of NVDA that came out within the last few days.

Dave

On 9/14/2021 2:44 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Gene

I’m not sure what the original poster was complaining about.  In general, if you use alt to move to the menu bar, you hear the name of the menu you are on, usually file, and nothing else because the menu isn’t opened. If you left or right arrow across the menu bar, you hear the menu you are on and nothing else because the menu isn’t opened.  If you use a short cut letter such as alt f, that moves you to and opens the file menu so you do hear the first item.

The thing that isn’t clear is whether the person is saying that when he/she  does something that opens a menu such as move to it and down arrow, whether the first item is heard when you down arrow once.  Likewise, if the person uses something like alt f to open a menu, if the person hears the first item or not.