Topics

Problem while updating NVDA

hello everyone.
I hope all of you are doing well and safe during this bad situation that we are all facing it.
firstly, I really would love to thank everyone who is contributing to spreading NVDA as a best screen reader for the blind.
I have found a bug on updating NVDA, and I really would love to share it with you.
recently, I have made a clean installation of windows 10 on my laptop, and I have installed MVDA 2019.3.1 on it,
I have tried to update it to the latest version from the help menu of nvda, but unfortunately I have got an error called {NVDA update, error checking for update}.
I have a very good and stable Internet connection.
so what are your advices to fix this error?
I am also using NVDA Add on updater and it’s also not working with me.
last thing to mention, this problem is also happening to one of my friends.
I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best.
Hasan.

Hello Hasan, and welcome.

In a situation like yours, where you sound like you have a very fresh Windows 10 installation coupled with a fresh NVDA install, is simply uninstall NVDA after downloading the NVDA 2020 installer, then reinstall.

Others will likely have other suggestions, and you may end up being asked to supply NVDA logs off-list by those who are able to dig deep under the hood of NVDA.  Mine is the "quick and dirty" method.

I have had Add-On Updater get cranky on multiple occasions, but it generally has resolved itself the next time it determines updates exist and tries again.  That's usually the next day.

Jackie

Hasan, there's a lot you don't tell us. 1 of the questions I have is
what security software are you using, both antivirus & firewall? Also,
are you running as an administrator or just using a standard account,
as updating NVDA likely won't work then.

Hello Hasan, and welcome.

In a situation like yours, where you sound like you have a very fresh
Windows 10 installation coupled with a fresh NVDA install, is simply
uninstall NVDA after downloading the NVDA 2020 installer, then reinstall.

Others will likely have other suggestions, and you may end up being asked to
supply NVDA logs off-list by those who are able to dig deep under the hood
of NVDA.  Mine is the "quick and dirty" method.

I have had Add-On Updater get cranky on multiple occasions, but it generally
has resolved itself the next time it determines updates exist and tries
again.  That's usually the next day.

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment
Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
) , September 23, 2019

Hello Jackie.
I am using the Windows defender antivirus by Microsoft.
And full sure, I am running it as  administrative account. On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 6:36 AM, Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:

Hasan, there's a lot you don't tell us. 1 of the questions I have is
what security software are you using, both antivirus & firewall? Also,
are you running as an administrator or just using a standard account,
as updating NVDA likely won't work then.

> Hello Hasan, and welcome.
>
> In a situation like yours, where you sound like you have a very fresh
> Windows 10 installation coupled with a fresh NVDA install, is simply
> uninstall NVDA after downloading the NVDA 2020 installer, then reinstall.
>
> Others will likely have other suggestions, and you may end up being asked to
> supply NVDA logs off-list by those who are able to dig deep under the hood
> of NVDA.  Mine is the "quick and dirty" method.
>
> I have had Add-On Updater get cranky on multiple occasions, but it generally
> has resolved itself the next time it determines updates exist and tries
> again.  That's usually the next day.
> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
>
> *Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
> platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*
>
> ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment
> Took Hold in the United States (
> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
> ) , September 23, 2019

Best.
"Hasan Tayem"

Jackie

Hasan, did you get any msgs asking you to allow NVDA thru the
firewall? You may wish to go to windows firewall & just make sure that
NVDA is allowed through.

) , September 23, 2019

to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR
by
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

--
Best.
"Hasan Tayem"

I have already went there, and I have added NVDA in the advanced firewall, in the inbound and in the Outabounds.

On 5/27/20, hasan tayyem <hasan.tayyem1997@...> wrote:
> Hello Jackie.
> I am using the Windows defender antivirus by Microsoft.
> And full sure, I am running it as  administrative account. On Thu, May 28,
> 2020 at 6:36 AM, Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:
>
>> Hasan, there's a lot you don't tell us. 1 of the questions I have is
>> what security software are you using, both antivirus & firewall? Also,
>> are you running as an administrator or just using a standard account,
>> as updating NVDA likely won't work then.
>>
>> On 5/27/20, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
>> > Hello Hasan, and welcome.
>> >
>> > In a situation like yours, where you sound like you have a very fresh
>> > Windows 10 installation coupled with a fresh NVDA install, is simply
>> > uninstall NVDA after downloading the NVDA 2020 installer, then
>> > reinstall.
>> >
>> > Others will likely have other suggestions, and you may end up being
>> asked to
>> > supply NVDA logs off-list by those who are able to dig deep under the
>> hood
>> > of NVDA.  Mine is the "quick and dirty" method.
>> >
>> > I have had Add-On Updater get cranky on multiple occasions, but it
>> generally
>> > has resolved itself the next time it determines updates exist and tries
>> > again.  That's usually the next day.
>> > --
>> >
>> > Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
>> >
>> > *Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
>> > platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*
>> >
>> > ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine
>> Sentiment
>> > Took Hold in the United States (
>> >
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
>> > ) , September 23, 2019
>> >

>> --
>> to:
>> wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR
>> by
>> visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
>> & check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com &
>> www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
>>

>> --
> Best.
> "Hasan Tayem"

Best.
"Hasan Tayem"

Quentin Christensen

Hi Hasan,

I have seen an error checking for updates when using a proxy: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/8948

And another more vague one without an obvious cause: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7834

For that second one at least, rebooting the system helped some users.  Brian's suggestion of simply downloading and installing the newest version manually from: https://www.nvaccess.org/download/ should also work.

If you'd like to help try to diagnose a bit more before doing that, what would help us is a debug level log of attempting the update.  To do that:

"Could you get me a copy of your NVDA log to have a look at please, ideally at debug level?
Please send it attached to an email to info@....  Include a description of what you have done and what isn't working as it should (so I know what it's about in case I don't get to investigate today).

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on ""Log level""
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to ""Debug""
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to ""Restart with add-ons disabled""
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - check for updates.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.og (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened."

Kind regards

Quentin.

Best.
"Hasan Tayem"

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 11:36 PM, Jackie wrote:
Also, are you running as an administrator or just using a standard account, as updating NVDA likely won't work then.
Not that this isn't an accurate observation, but I am always willing to make the presumption that someone asking about updating software is most likely using an account with admin privileges.  First and foremost because they get error messages from Windows if they try it telling them they don't have that ability if using a standard account.

It takes about one day, if that, using a standard user account to learn that you are stymied at every turn if doing any kind of software installation, removal, or updating is a frequent part of your routine.

I haven't used a standard account myself for "daily driving" ever, other that to experiment once to see just how restrictive they are.  They're great if you need to "save someone from their own worst impulses" and prevent them from destroying things by button and link clicking at random and installing all sorts of nasty stuff.  But for a serious computer user who "knows the ropes" even somewhat well, they drive you to madness fast.

Hello MR. Quentin.

Thanks a lot for your Email, Much appreciated.

Finally, I was able to solve the problem.

I will try to explain what I have done, nevertheless someone is facing it.

Firstly, I have completely removed NVDA from my laptop, I have removed everything, including the registries keys. I recommend you guys to using one of the uninstallation program to helping you removing the registries keys.

Afterwards, I have installed an older version of NVDA, “NVDA 2019.1”.

Finally, you will be freely able to update your NVDA and your addons.

Mr. Quentin, Today I am going to send you my previous log of NVDA 2020.1 to the menschened Email, perhaps there are a bugs to be able to fix them.

Best regards.

Hasan Tayem.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> [...]

>> > uninstall NVDA after downloading the NVDA 2020 installer, then
>> > reinstall.
>> >
>> > Others will likely have other suggestions, and you may end up being
>> asked to
>> > supply NVDA logs off-list by those who are able to dig deep under the
>> hood
>> > of NVDA.  Mine is the "quick and dirty" method.
>> >
>> > I have had Add-On Updater get cranky on multiple occasions, but it
>> generally
>> > has resolved itself the next time it determines updates exist and tries
>> > again.  That's usually the next day.
>> > --
>> >
>> > Brian *-* Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363
>> >
>> > *Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
>> > platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*
>> >
>> > ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine

Best.
"Hasan Tayem"

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Hasan,

I will keep an eye out for your email!

Ok I am also curious - in order to get to 2020.1 - after uninstalling 2019.3, why did you not simply install 2020.1 rather than installing 2019.1 and updating from there?

Quentin.

Best.
"Hasan Tayem"

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hello again.

Because Nvda 2019.3.1 and NVDA 2020.1 are not allowing me to update themselves as will as the addons will not be updated if I directly installed nvda 2020.1.

I hope you was able to understood what I meant.

Best.
"Hasan Tayem"