Topics

Problem with NVDA and single key navigation in Chrome

georgijivankin@...

Hello NVDA community,

This is my first post here, and sadly it’s about a problem with NVDA I encountered today that I’d like to get some opinions about.

I’ve been an NVDA user for a couple of years mostly on an Apple MacBook Pro running Windows 10 on Bootcamp or on a Del XPS 13 and I have never experienced what I will describe below. Today I’ve got a brand new work computer – a Lenovo X1 Carbon with Windows 10, Lenovo drivers, Chrome, Slack, Webroot SecureAnywhere and Umbrella Roaming Client by Cisco already preinstalled.

I initially installed an older version of NVDA that I had lying around on a flash drive, which I immediately updated to the newest official version thereafter.

When opened Chrome, I noticed that it reads through the pages in browse mode, it can switch between Browse and Focus modes and it recognizes links, forms and other controls, but none of the single navigation keystrokes like H, E, N, NVDA+Space and other similar keys or key combinations work. Even the NVDA+1 key doesn’t want to turn help navigation on, same for the NVDA+N keystrokes combination.

Once I exit Chrome everything goes back to Normal and NVDA starts responding as it should.

I tried the same with Microsoft Edge and it works – NVDA can successfully intercept and process single navigation keys and key combinations without issues jumping through headings, focusing edit controls, etc.

What I tried so far:

  • Reinstalling NVDA a few times (both Version 2020.1, 2020.2 Beta 1 and snapshot builds),
  • Deleting the %appdata%\nvda directory after each uninstallation,
  • Reinstalling Chrome Version 83.0.4103.106 (Official Build) (64-bit),
  • Running the Windows 10 file check scanner through Powershell as described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
  • Installing the latest update for Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329) and all available security and driver updates through Windows update.
  • Running the Com Registration Fixing Tool a few times.

After one of the first NVDA or Chrome reinstallations, I managed to get it working somehow, but after I kept customising my NVDA the way I like it, after one of the subsequent reboots, the problem reappeared and no reinstallations of Chrome or NVDA managed to fix it ever since.

There is nothing in the log viewer, neither in normal, nor in debugging mode and I am out of ideas.

If you have any suggestions of things for me to try, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Georgi.

hello.
sometimes nvda's keys dont work for me.
for example: if i press nvda plus n, i cant go to the nvda's menu.
i press nvda plus q, but dont confirm any of the options for
restarting or exiting nvda.
in this situation, nvda's restart and exit options are in the background.
i press alt tab to access them and press scape to cancel them.
then, nvda's menus work for me and i can access them without any issue.
sometimes, nvda single letter navigation keys dont work for me in browsers,
and pressing alt tab to go to another program and alt tab again to
return to browser, work for me.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

georgijivankin@...

Thanks for the suggestion, Zahra. This is the first thing I tried when I encountered this strange behaviour, and it didn't solve the problem for me as it is not an intermittent issue but happens every time I open Chrome. Let's see if anyone else has other suggestions.

Best,
Georgi.

[...]

I strongly suspect that this is some sort of weird interaction between something that came preinstalled on your machine, most likely security related, and Chrome and NVDA.

There are several ways you could proceed.

1. Turning off your security software, temporarily, and if that requires rebooting then reboot, and see if the issue goes away.

2.  Make sure you have already set up sound in safe mode with networking (See: Getting Sound in Safe Mode Under Windows 10) then see if the behavior occurs if you boot into Safe Mode.  This avoids loading an awful lot of startup processes to begin with.

3. If either of the above fixes the issue, you will then need to follow the proper procedure to go through the process of elimination to find out what exactly is the root cause of the problem.  What that is varies, so until more data is available it's really not worth going into the details.

Sarah k Alawami

Did you run the com registration tool found under tools in the nvda menu? I have not this issue, yet. And am using brave and chrome and edge over here.

On 20 Jun 2020, at 10:46, georgijivankin@... wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

Your suspicions are correct. It was definitely the Webroot SecureAnywhere software interfering with the installation of NBDA. Since I can’t disable the software as it is being managed remotely by my organization, I tried a brute force workaround just to test your hypothesis – fetched the installed copy from my personal computer and transferred both the main NVDA and the profile directory that resides in %appdata%\roaming to the work computer and low and behold, it worked perfectly. I could successfully start NVDA and use Chrome as normal.

Then I attempted to update it to the latest beta to see if a normal installation would actually work, but after the restart it stopped working again, so I suspect the antivirus blocks some files of being properly copied or accessed by NVDA. I will ask my IT department to allow me to disable the antivirus locally in order to rectify the situation in a more permanent way.

Thank you for the troubleshooting suggestions and for the safe mode with sound script – definitely useful to have it for exactly this type of situations.

Best,

Georgi.

[...]

Yes I did, but it didn’t fix the issue. I just replied to Brian with the workaround that temporarily fixed the glitch. Apparently my antivirus blocked some of the files that NVDA copies during its installation.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Best,

Georgi.

[...]

            You are quite welcome.   I would also suggest that you use whatever mechanism is available in Webroot SecureAnywhere to contact them and ask that NVDA be whitelisted or, at the very least, examined and that they stop marking it as any sort of threat.   There are false positives all the time, and once they're reported they generally get remedied very quickly.

georgijivankin@...

Yes, I’ll contact them for sure as this is pretty inconvenient and I think, it has cause other issues in the past, like this one that I just stumbled across, for example: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6324