Topics

Problem with NVDA, email, and Esys 80 cell Braille display

John Wells

Can someone offer help please. I am new to NVDA and have a small problem. When I go to my emails, NVDA will read the list in braille and also announce the list with speech. However, when I open an email, the speech is perfect but the braille merely shows the word “payne”. Which settings need to be amended please. I am running Windows 10 and my braille reader is an Esys 80 cell display. I am using windows live mail for my emails and this problem does not occur when I use Jaws.

I thank you in anticipation of your assistance. John Wells.

Quentin Christensen

What do you have braille tethered to?  By default it is tethered "Automatically" which moves between the review cursor and focus automatically.  Sometimes this doesn't work as intended.  If you press NVDA+control+t it will change the Braille tether.

Also, what are you reading your mail in?  (And what version?)

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

John Wells

Hi Quentin,

I am very new to NVDA, having used Jaws for years. I still use windows live mail for my emails and the braille works fine with jaws. However, when I open an email using NVDA the text is read to me but the braille simply lands on the word payne and does not move.  You suggested I press NVDA plus control T. What is the key for NVDA in this case please. John Wells.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:02 AM John Wells via groups.io <johnwellsjoseph@...> wrote:
Can someone offer help please. I am new to NVDA and have a small problem. When I go to my emails, NVDA will read the list in braille and also announce the list with speech. However, when I open an email, the speech is perfect but the braille merely shows the word “payne”. Which settings need to be amended please. I am running Windows 10 and my braille reader is an Esys 80 cell display. I am using windows live mail for my emails and this problem does not occur when I use Jaws.

I thank you in anticipation of your assistance. John Wells.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Luke Davis

It depends on your configuration. When you were setting up NVDA, you either set the NVDA key to be the capslock key, the insert key, or the numpad insert key. or some or all of the above.

Luke

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021, John Wells via groups.io wrote:

I am very new to NVDA, having used Jaws for years. I still use windows live mail for my emails and the braille works fine with jaws. However, when I open an
email using NVDA the text is read to me but the braille simply lands on the word payne and does not move.  You suggested I press NVDA plus control T. What
is the key for NVDA in this case please. John Wells.

Quentin Christensen

As Luke noted, either Insert or Caps lock - and that is set independently of desktop or laptop keyboard layout in NVDA - it's the key that you use with other keys for any NVDA command - eg say all.

As a fairly new user experienced with Jaws, we have a Switching from Jaws to NVDA guide which is well worth a reading: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

And if you think of anything you want to know which isn't covered there, do let me know so it can be updated.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 7:51 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
It depends on your configuration. When you were setting up NVDA, you either set
the NVDA key to be the capslock key, the insert key, or the numpad insert key.
or some or all of the above.

Luke

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021, John Wells via groups.io wrote:

> I am very new to NVDA, having used Jaws for years. I still use windows live mail for my emails and the braille works fine with jaws. However, when I open an
> email using NVDA the text is read to me but the braille simply lands on the word payne and does not move.  You suggested I press NVDA plus control T. What
> is the key for NVDA in this case please. John Wells.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

John Wells

Luke, I can now get the braille to work. When I open an email the only word showing on the braille display is Payne. However, if I tab once NVDA says documents and I can then read everything with the braille display. Is there something I could amend in Settings to ensure it always went to documents, rather than just showing the word payne? Thank you for your help. John Wells.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 03:37 AM, John Wells wrote:
I still use windows live mail for my emails
-
And you really, really shouldn't.  I was a big fan of WLM even for some years after it was out of support, but it is showing its age particularly badly when coupled with accessibility software as time marches on.

It makes sense to switch to a currently supported email client that is likely to remain in support into the foreseeable furture.  Thunderbird is my first choice if you don't have access to MS-Outlook.  eM Client is not horrible, either, but not anywhere near to as comprehensively accessible as T-bird or Outlook.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Gene

What accessibility software doesn't it work well with? it works well with NVDA. I use Windows Live Mail as my main e-mail program.

I've seen some reports of slowness concerning Thunderbird. I don't have excessive slowness with Thunderbird, but on my computer, it takes longer to open messages. It may take about three seconds to open a message. Windows Live Mail opens them much faster. The lag in Thunderbird is really annoying and it wastes time.

I don't knw what other peoples' experience is, but speed is the main reason I use Windows Live Mail instead of Thunderbird.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 03:37 AM, John Wells wrote:
I still use windows live mail for my emails-
And you really, really shouldn't. I was a big fan of WLM even for some years after it was out of support, but it is showing its age particularly badly when coupled with accessibility software as time marches on.

It makes sense to switch to a currently supported email client that is likely to remain in support into the foreseeable furture. Thunderbird is my first choice if you don't have access to MS-Outlook. eM Client is not horrible, either, but not anywhere near to as comprehensively accessible as T-bird or Outlook.

~ Anton Chekhov

John Wells

My problem is purely with NVDA and windows live mail. When using Jaws the braille works well and is instant. No matter what I try with NVDA when I open an email the braille simply shows the word payne. If it cannot be rectified, I will have to stay with Jaws. John Wells.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 03:37 AM, John Wells wrote:
I still use windows live mail for my emails-
And you really, really shouldn't. I was a big fan of WLM even for some
years after it was out of support, but it is showing its age particularly
badly when coupled with accessibility software as time marches on.

It makes sense to switch to a currently supported email client that is
likely to remain in support into the foreseeable furture. Thunderbird is my
first choice if you don't have access to MS-Outlook. eM Client is not
horrible, either, but not anywhere near to as comprehensively accessible as
T-bird or Outlook.

~ Anton Chekhov

Gene

I should have added that I use speech with NVDA and it works well.

I thought of a possible work around. Try using the reading pane. I don't know how you do this using Braille, but using speech, when you are on a message in the list, tabbing once moves you into the reading pane. For some reason, you may not be able to read an opened message, but the view pane may allow you to read it.

I read mail as text. It’s a little safer and I don't want each message I arrow to in the list to be opened in the view pane when reading messages as HTML.

There is a very easy way to read a message as HTML. In the viewpane, use the command alt shift h. That will display that message as HTML while you are on it.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 03:37 AM, John Wells wrote:
I still use windows live mail for my emails-
And you really, really shouldn't. I was a big fan of WLM even for some
years after it was out of support, but it is showing its age particularly
badly when coupled with accessibility software as time marches on.

It makes sense to switch to a currently supported email client that is
likely to remain in support into the foreseeable furture. Thunderbird is my
first choice if you don't have access to MS-Outlook. eM Client is not
horrible, either, but not anywhere near to as comprehensively accessible as
T-bird or Outlook.

~ Anton Chekhov

John Wells

Many thanks for this info. Will give it a try later. John.