From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Konnie Ellis
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 9:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Problem with Outlook

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 on my PC. A recent update must’ve changed things, because now when I arrow through my list of emails, if I stop on one item for more than a second or two, it pops up some other kind of window about replying etc., and I can’t get back to the list.

The only way I’ve found to get back to the email list is to close Outlook completely and reopen.

This isn’t a huge annoyance, now that I’ve learned I need to be quick when looking at the emails in a folder, but it would be nice if I could set things back the way they used to be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Konnie

I have asked about this on a tech geek group, and so far no one can match the description to a behavior they've encountered.

My quick and dirty suggestion for a possible workaround that doesn't involve restarting Outlook is hitting the Escape key when that pop-up pops up.  This virtually always dismisses them, and leaves focus wherever you happened to be prior.

Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: office-accessibility+help@groups.io

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Konnie Ellis

Thanks. Seemed that I tried that solution, but without success. I couldn’t swear to it though. I just tried replicating the issue, and things seem to be working the way they should at the moment. LOL. Go figure.

But I’m kind of glad I’m not the only person experiencing this issue, as nobody else I talked to seemed to be aware of the issue. Thanks for the link.

I have asked about this on a tech geek group, and so far no one can match the description to a behavior they've encountered.

My quick and dirty suggestion for a possible workaround that doesn't involve restarting Outlook is hitting the Escape key when that pop-up pops up.  This virtually always dismisses them, and leaves focus wherever you happened to be prior.

Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: office-accessibility+help@groups.io

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Konnie Ellis

Thanks. I have these types of issues so infrequently with my PC, that I don’t know how much I’d make use of another list.

I’m sure it would come in handy on occasion, though, so thanks for making me aware of the group.

You might want to ask on the office for accessibility group. I don’t have the groups.io website open but I’m sure I have that link somewhere.

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 on my PC. A recent update must’ve changed things, because now when I arrow through my list of emails, if I stop on one item for more than a second or two, it pops up some other kind of window about replying etc., and I can’t get back to the list.

The only way I’ve found to get back to the email list is to close Outlook completely and reopen.

This isn’t a huge annoyance, now that I’ve learned I need to be quick when looking at the emails in a folder, but it would be nice if I could set things back the way they used to be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Konnie

Ann Byrne

Try ctrl+w to close the window and hopefully get back to your inbox.

At 01:01 PM 9/22/2021, you wrote:

Thanks. Seemed that I tried that solution, but without success. I couldn’t swear to it though. I just tried replicating the issue, and things seem to be working the way they should at the moment. LOL. Go figure.

But I’m kind of glad I’m not the only person experiencing this issue, as nobody else I talked to seemed to be aware of the issue. Thanks for the link.

I have asked about this on a tech geek group, and so far no one can match the description to a behavior they've encountered.

My quick and dirty suggestion for a possible workaround that doesn't involve restarting Outlook is hitting the Escape key when that pop-up pops up. This virtually always dismisses them, and leaves focus wherever you happened to be prior.

Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive: <https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics>https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: <mailto:office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io>office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: <mailto:office-accessibility@groups.io>office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: <mailto:office-accessibility+owner@groups.io>office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: <mailto:office-accessibility+help@groups.io>office-accessibility+help@groups.io

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 02:04 PM, Konnie Ellis wrote:

I have these types of issues so infrequently with my PC, that I don’t know how much I’d make use of another list.

I’m sure it would come in handy on occasion, though, so thanks for making me aware of the group.

-
Just FYI, the MS Office Accessibility Discussion Group is very low traffic, but you also have the option, for any Groups.io group, to set up what I call Topic Preview where you will only receive the first message in a given topic unless you choose to follow it.  If you don't activate the follow topic link, you get no more messages on that topic (unless someone accidentally or intentionally creates a spin-off) and if you do, you'll get whatever messages follow-on.  See:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

I'll also say that whether or not one would frequently post to a group such as that one, there is a ton to learn just from what others post about.  I've learned much about Excel that I did not know prior, though it's been a while since any Excel issue has been a "hot topic."

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quentin Christensen

Another thing you can do with queries like this - is ask the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk.  Just from what you've described so far, I can't replicate it on my copy, but it might be a new feature they are slowly rolling out, in which case some users might have it and others not - in that case particularly, Microsoft will be looking at feedback they get to inform how they proceed with the new feature - that includes people saying they love it, or hate it - but also people like you asking "how do I use this" or "how do decide whether to use it or turn it off".

(I suggested the same thing in our In-Process blog recently on the new Simplified Ribbon interface they are starting to roll out to Outlook: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-3rd-september-2021/#SimplifiedOutlook )

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Pranav Lal

Hi Konnie,

I have experienced this on my work laptop but not for all e-mail. I suspect the preview pane may be to blame but I am not sure.

Pranav

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Go into the View menu, Alt V, tab to Reading Pane, and then press enter on it. Finally, arrow down to off and press Enter on it.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 on my PC. A recent update must’ve changed things, because now when I arrow through my list of emails, if I stop on one item for more than a second or two, it pops up some other kind of window about replying etc., and I can’t get back to the list.

The only way I’ve found to get back to the email list is to close Outlook completely and reopen.

This isn’t a huge annoyance, now that I’ve learned I need to be quick when looking at the emails in a folder, but it would be nice if I could set things back the way they used to be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Konnie

Steve Nutt

My guess is she has the reading pane turned on.

Any bets? 😊

All the best

steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

I have asked about this on a tech geek group, and so far no one can match the description to a behavior they've encountered.

My quick and dirty suggestion for a possible workaround that doesn't involve restarting Outlook is hitting the Escape key when that pop-up pops up.  This virtually always dismisses them, and leaves focus wherever you happened to be prior.

Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: office-accessibility+help@groups.io

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gene

I wouldn’t have commented, but you asked if anyone wants to bet.  I don’t think the viewpane is involved.  This sounds like something that opens when you hover over a message with the mouse but in this case, simply selecting it by moving to it causes it to open.  I have never seen a view pane function as described.  And note that the text of the message isn’t shown, only information about the message.  I have never seen focus automatically moved to a view pane either.  I have to move to it.

the problem may not exist any longer, as to the last message from the person who asked the question.  But if it returns, I think the answer is to try to find information about a feature that shows message information when hovered over or perhaps selected.

I have asked about this on a tech geek group, and so far no one can match the description to a behavior they've encountered.

My quick and dirty suggestion for a possible workaround that doesn't involve restarting Outlook is hitting the Escape key when that pop-up pops up.  This virtually always dismisses them, and leaves focus wherever you happened to be prior.

Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: office-accessibility+help@groups.io

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Konnie Ellis

Thanks; I’ll give that a try. Not sure how it would’ve gotten turned on, but stranger things have happened.

Konnie

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 on my PC. A recent update must’ve changed things, because now when I arrow through my list of emails, if I stop on one item for more than a second or two, it pops up some other kind of window about replying etc., and I can’t get back to the list.

The only way I’ve found to get back to the email list is to close Outlook completely and reopen.

This isn’t a huge annoyance, now that I’ve learned I need to be quick when looking at the emails in a folder, but it would be nice if I could set things back the way they used to be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Konnie

Konnie Ellis

Hi, Gene. Yep, this problem seems to come and go. If it happens again, I will consider the hovering issue. I’d actually thought of it before, but nobody else seemed to be considering that as a possibility, so I appreciate the input.

Konnie

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:30 PM, Konnie Ellis wrote:
A recent update must’ve changed things,
-
This comment caused me to raise this issue elsewhere, on a forum dedicated strictly to IT technicians, because one of the members is a Microsoft 365 guru.  Because his answers were broadly applicable to issues with Microsoft 365, with ties to accessibility, I posted the following to the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group:

Microsoft 365 Administration, Accessibility, and Educating Your IT Folks (or at least some of them)

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.