Topics

problems using NVDA with my new laptop

Betsy Grenevitch

Chris, thank you so much. I just realized because of what you said that I needed to make sure the function keys were set to allow home to work with F9 and somehow they had gotten reset. Thankfully, I do not have to go into the bios to change their function but my daughter found that I just need to do escape plus F-end.

You all have been so helpful for me and I have taken notes to have in the future in case I forget since I have memory problems. Thank you so much to those who make this list available to those of us who need it from time to time.

On 12/30/2020 8:53 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi Betsy

The home key is used to move to the top of a list and this is a Windows key command rather than a NVDA command.  One of the responses mentioned the FN key which laptops use as a modifier key to enable the addition  of media keys and I suspect this is the issue here.  Try switching on NVDA keyboard help mode using NVDA+1 (on the number row not the keypad).  The keypresses will then be announced not actioned,so you can check if you are pressing what you think you are pressing as for example NVDA will say “Home” when you press the Home key.  If “Home” is not announced then you may have to use the FN key as a modifier together with the home key to make the home key function properly.  Press NVDA+1 again to return to normal keyboard entry mode. 

Many manufacturers set up their machines so that media keys are the default and you have to use the FN modifier to use, for example, function keys.  There is likely to be a BIOS setting that you can set to reverse this behaviour I.e. the keyboard will then behave as you are used to and you have to use the FN modifier for media key functions.  Note: you will require sighted assistance to access the BIOS.  

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 29 December 2020 22:03
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] problems using NVDA with my new laptop

I received a new laptop and my daughter thought she had exported

everything properly but a lot of the NVDA commands are not working such

as going to the top of a list of emails, going to the top of a file etc.

I am using Windows 10 and the NVDA is set to desktop layout.

I would definitely appreciate if someone could help me figure out what

is going on.

It is an Asus laptop.

Thanks.

--

Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

--

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Betsy, when using a laptop keyboard the only time you use desktop settings is if your keyboard has a numpad.
NVDA+1 on the keyboard is a good way to locate keys. you will still need some sighted help because not all keys are labeled in a way that NVDA will recognize.An alternative is to invest in a USB keyboard or a wireless one. I say this because you will find some of your NVDA key commands fun to accomplish because many of them will require using the FN key to accomplish. thus, my suggestion of using an external keyboard.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2020 6:16 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] problems using NVDA with my new laptop

Thank you, Mareth. I will write this down and try it later today.

I hope you are doing well.

On 12/30/2020 1:20 AM, Hareth wrote:
Hi Betsy,
Try using the "home" and "end" buttons for top and bottom of lists.
And ctrl plus home hotkey for the top of a message and opened text
file and ctrl plus end hotkey for the bottom of it, that works for
some type of lists as well if the 1st one didn't work.
As for the laptops Numlock key mostly
you can do it with pressing the "FN" key combined with another mostly
in the numbers row, and re do it to unlock its a toggle.
The best and easy way to find it is to invoke the NVDA's key helper
mode with hitting the NVDA plus number 1 to turn it on, and test your
keys, press the same hotkey to get out of it.
Happy new year to you and your family.

On 12/29/20, Betsy Grenevitch <blindangel61@gmail.com> wrote:
I received a new laptop and my daughter thought she had exported
everything properly but a lot of the NVDA commands are not working such
as going to the top of a list of emails, going to the top of a file etc.
I am using Windows 10 and the NVDA is set to desktop layout.

I would definitely appreciate if someone could help me figure out what
is going on.

It is an Asus laptop.

Thanks.

--

--

Dave Grossoehme

Good Day:  I have seen this problem before.  It's possible that the NVDA settings in keyboard settings is set to laptop.  If so, none of the numpad keys for NVDA will work.  She will need to go into NVDA and change that to desktop.  In order to answer this, she would need to check and see if any of the numpad key commands work in NVDA..

Dave

On 12/29/2020 7:23 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

Gene, I have used numpad very little until getting this laptop. I assume you mean just pushing the numpad 7 by itself when nomlock is off, right? If that is the case it does not do anything if it can be used in an email as that is where I tried it. When I push any of those three numbers it just says clipboard. If you would like for me to write you privately, please let me know.

On 12/29/2020 7:52 PM, Gene wrote:

it might help clarify things if we knew the answer to the following question:

When you use numpad commands by themselves, do they work correctly?  In other words, does numpad 8 read the current line of the object you are on?  Does numpad 7 move to the previous line and numpad 9 move to the next line? 

I also did a bit of experimentation and if a current or near current version of NVDA is being used, it doesn't matter, for what we are discussing, if laptop or desktop mode is being used.  it may for other commands, but the numpad review commands such as shift 7, 8, and 9, work in both modes.  Before continuing with any experimentation, do the following to make completely sure you are working in the correct screen-review mode:

Issue the command numpad insert numpad 1 until you hear no previous review mode.  If you changed review modes at some point, you may well have unexpected results.

Gene

On 12/29/2020 6:16 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Since you are using a laptop NVDA should be on laptop keyboard layout.
-
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect and, in actuality, very seldom the case or necessary.  If you have a laptop that has a number pad as part of its built in keyboard NVDA installs using desktop keyboard layout because it can since all the keys are there.

I only have folks use laptop layout if they are already familiar with it and prefer it, or if they have a laptop that does not have a number pad as part of its built in keyboard.  That is the minority of laptops produced today.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner 

--

Gene

That may have been true in the past but it isn't now. numpad commands work in either setting.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2021 12:04 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problems using NVDA with my new laptop

Good Day: I have seen this problem before. It's possible that the NVDA settings in keyboard settings is set to laptop. If so, none of the numpad keys for NVDA will work. She will need to go into NVDA and change that to desktop. In order to answer this, she would need to check and see if any of the numpad key commands work in NVDA..

Dave

On 12/29/2020 7:23 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

Gene, I have used numpad very little until getting this laptop. I assume you mean just pushing the numpad 7 by itself when nomlock is off, right? If that is the case it does not do anything if it can be used in an email as that is where I tried it. When I push any of those three numbers it just says clipboard. If you would like for me to write you privately, please let me know.

On 12/29/2020 7:52 PM, Gene wrote:

it might help clarify things if we knew the answer to the following question:

When you use numpad commands by themselves, do they work correctly? In other words, does numpad 8 read the current line of the object you are on? Does numpad 7 move to the previous line and numpad 9 move to the next line?

I also did a bit of experimentation and if a current or near current version of NVDA is being used, it doesn't matter, for what we are discussing, if laptop or desktop mode is being used. it may for other commands, but the numpad review commands such as shift 7, 8, and 9, work in both modes. Before continuing with any experimentation, do the following to make completely sure you are working in the correct screen-review mode:

Issue the command numpad insert numpad 1 until you hear no previous review mode. If you changed review modes at some point, you may well have unexpected results.

Gene

On 12/29/2020 6:16 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Since you are using a laptop NVDA should be on laptop keyboard layout.-
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect and, in actuality, very seldom the case or necessary. If you have a laptop that has a number pad as part of its built in keyboard NVDA installs using desktop keyboard layout because it can since all the keys are there.

I only have folks use laptop layout if they are already familiar with it and prefer it, or if they have a laptop that does not have a number pad as part of its built in keyboard. That is the minority of laptops produced today.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next. We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner

--