Topics

Problems with capslock as NVDA modifier

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

I am using the latest NVDA with Windows 10 2004 on a laptop. I have the capslock set as the NVDA modifier. Occasionally the capslock key will activate and I end up typing in all caps. I have no way of knowing this. I’ve checked the NVDA settings to be sure the capslock is set as the modifier and it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Janet

Jackie

Janet, go to your keyboard settings in NVDA (NVDA + control + k), & tab to:
"Beep if typing lowercase letters when caps lock is on"
Make certain that box is checked, & press ok. At that point, you
should hear a beep when you press the shift key & caps lock is on
already.

On 8/26/20, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:
Hello all,

I am using the latest NVDA with Windows 10 2004 on a laptop. I have the
capslock set as the NVDA modifier. Occasionally the capslock key will
activate and I end up typing in all caps. I have no way of knowing this.
I've checked the NVDA settings to be sure the capslock is set as the
modifier and it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Janet

Chris

accidently hitting the caps lock key twice will enable caps lock

but you could try the setting: under settings > ease of access > keyboard >  Ignore brief or repeated keystrokes and change keyboard repeat rates

and enable it

I am using the latest NVDA with Windows 10 2004 on a laptop. I have the capslock set as the NVDA modifier. Occasionally the capslock key will activate and I end up typing in all caps. I have no way of knowing this. I’ve checked the NVDA settings to be sure the capslock is set as the modifier and it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Janet

Gene

When the caps lock key is activated here, I gget a message saying caps lock on. I get a message saying caps lock off when I turn it off. I'm not sure why you aren't hearing a message. Also, NVDA emits a sound if the caps lock is on and you type a carachter holding down the shift key to alert you that it is on in case it is unintentionally on.

I'll say this though I imagine you know it, but not knowing what you know, I don't want to assume. Be careful not to press the key twice quickly, since that turns caps lock on and off.

If you don't hear the beep I described nor hear any spoken announcement, I'm not sure why, but let the list know.