From: Don H
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2020 1:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] problems with hot keys

I am running the latest released version of NVDA on a Win10 2004
laptop. On a random basis I am running into the problem where all the
hotkeys for Nvda stop working. Is anyone else seeing this problem?
Can't even close VNDA as the insert q doesn't work

Quentin Christensen

At that point, is NVDA still reading information?  What keyboard / keyboard driver are you using?  I think I recall something with a particular one, but I can't find it now.

If you press NVDA+Q and restart with add-ons disabled, does it make a difference?  If not, if you could send me a copy of your NVDA log, at debug level, I can have a look:

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.og (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Betsy Grenevitch

I have no idea. When I do NVDA-F2 it says

 "pass next key group". With number lock off On 7/26/2020 7:25 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:and I push the 8 key it does not say anything. Thanks for trying to help me, though.

[...]

678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

Sorry, I responded to the incorrect email.

[...]

Gene

When you move using the arrow keys in a list like the desktop. does NVDA read? In other words, is it just short cut commands regardding NVDA that don't work? Moving through the desktop and having things read is a Windows command. Likewise, moving through a document with down arrow, for example, and having NVDA read is a program command that works in any edit field.

[...]

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess
-- Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Luke Davis

Yes. This happened from time to time with older versions, but I've been seeing it a lot more with recent versions (beta, RC, and alpha).

I haven't been able to figure out if it is NVDA's fault, or some change in Windows 2004.

I have yet to capture a log on it, as it usually happens when I'm in a hurry.

I believe it used to happen more with Firefox, whereas now it seems to happen for just about any application. Also it no longer seems to happen only after a machine suspend.

Not only is the NVDA key no longer functional in these cases (I.E. NVDA+Q does nothing but type a Q), even more perplexing to me is that Ctrl+Alt+N fails to launch the desktop shortcut.
Which implies something about the keyboard driver I think, although Restarting NVDA from the systray icon still fixes the problem.

Luke

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020, Don H wrote:

I am running the latest released version of NVDA on a Win10 2004 laptop.  On a random basis I am running into the problem where all the hotkeys for Nvda stop working.    Is anyone else seeing this problem?  Can't even close VNDA as the insert q doesn't work

Quentin Christensen

Odd,

If someone can capture a log at debug level that would be really helpful please!

Quentin.