From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ibrahim Ajayi
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:07 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Problems With NVDA

Hello:
I am having problems with my NVDA screen reader.
The screen reader is just too slow when I am browsing the internet.
When I am doing some other work like word processing or reading documents off line, it is not slow.
This problem has nothing to do with the websites, as I don't have this slow problems online with JAWS. I use a demo copy of JAWS.
Secondly, when I visit a website, or even some times when I launch a web browser like internet explorer or firefox, I hear "internet explorer unknown" or "firefox unknown" and the screen goes quiet, and when I press the arrow down key, that is what I keep hearing. Some times, when I am on a site, or trying to open a site, the screen reader crashes, and disables the computer itself. I just have to shut it down, and then restart it all over again.
Does anyone understand the problem I am having with my NVDA screen reader?
I use windows7 32 bit on a laptop.
I have the latest update of the screen reader.
Hope to read a helpful response.
I am Ibrahim.

Quentin Christensen

Where NVDA keeps reading "Unknown", the solution is to use the COM registration fixing tool:

1) Press NVDA+N to open the NVDA menu
2) Press T to open the tools menu
3) DOWN ARROW to "Run COM registration fixing tool"
4) Press ENTER, then ENTER again.

Let me know if that works (or doesn't).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Ibrahim Ajayi

Hello:
To the first respondent I did say that I have the latest update of
NVDA AND i use windows732bit.
I must say that I have this problem with NVDA when I use firefox and
internet explorer particularly. I seem not to have this problem with
chrome so much. I am usiing chrome right now.
Regards.

[...]

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter:@NVAccess

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but asking questions that have already been answered in the original post doesn't help anyone, it just adds unnecessary clutter to the list.  Normally, I'd not say anything about this, but I've seen a rather large increase in this kind of behavior over the last couple months.  It's almost like people are reading support scripts like when you call a help line, and the person on the other end of the line goes through their list of questions, regardless of what you told them when they answered the phone. Can we at least make an attempt to read messages before replying with questions that are already answered in the email to which we're replying? I think it would make everyone a lot happier.

On 2/6/2019 7:08 PM, Governor staten wrote:
What version of NVDA are you running? What Windows operating system are you running? That's enough to get us going.

[...]

Hello quinton. I'm sorry for spelling your name wrongly. I didn't find the registration fix under the tools menu.
All i found are view log speech view type and control manage ad on create portable copy and reload plugin. Regards.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

My apologies. I should read more carefully. That is all. 😊

[...]

Are you sure you are running NVDA 2018.4.1?  The COM registration fixing tool has been on the tools menu for a couple of versions now.

(You can find which version you are using by pressing NVDA+n, then H for the help menu, then A for about NVDA).

Otherwise, a copy of your log might help.  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps for information on the log, and email to info@...

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 1:49 PM Ibrahim Ajayi <kobisko@...> wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

What browser are you using, or what browsers are you using if more than 1? Also what versions if you know them?

On 6 Feb 2019, at 16:06, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:

[...]

Steve Nutt

Use Chrome, it is better than either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Another one who hasn’t read his messages.  He has already said he uses Firefox and Internet Explorer, then went on to Chrome.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have seen this on very slow machines with low ram etc, but one of the main annoyances with nvda is that often a page or part of a page will not load saying server not found, though doing it without nvda loaded works.
I'm suspicious that nvda is either missing things or slugging the actual software when it loads a site.
However crashing the computer?
No never had that since windows xp on Firefox.

I think I would like to know more about the system specs.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Yes which was why I asked about the hardware. The fact that its 32 bit version would make me suspect that its say, a core duo machine with maybe less than 4 gig of ram?

A slow hard disc too.

People say that Chrome is better on such machines, but if not then an older, say pre version 52 version off Firefox. I usually test it on version 45, often runs amazingly faster.

If the machine is a single core machine then all bets are off. its like waiting for paint to dry with today's javascript infested web sites.
[...]

Its the versions that are the thing here, it will be exploder 11, and probably firefox 52 or later as Chrome will be fine, which is why I did not suggest the com fix tool.

I wonder when the disc was defragged and how big it is. Classic symptoms of running out of virtual memory.
[...]

Well I'd not go that far but it is faster on lower spec machines, certainly.
[...]

Hello again:
I thank all those who found time to respond to my issue.
Brian, My GBRam is a low grid. It is just 2GB. But even with that I
don't have this problem with JAWS. But as I said yesterday, chrome
appears to be reasonably fine with the screen reader, although firefox
and internet explorer are almost unusable.
I am thinking of increasing my GB ram with an SDCard.
Regards.
[...]

Gene

Nothing you say supports the low RAM theory.  It contradicts it.  Why would JAWS work well with the browsers and not NVDA?  Assumedly, you have 32bit Windows.  If you didn't, you would need more than 2GB of RAM and you would be having a lot more performance issues.  You haven't even checked to see how much memory is being used and how much is free when your browser and screen-reader are running and you are working in the browser.

There is a mistique about memory.  it gets blamed for things that often have nothing to do with it.

If I'm wrong and you are running 64 bit Windows, you should get more memory.  I doubt you are.  And browsers don't use a lot of memory and as I said, since JAWS works properly with the browsers. that is very strong evidence that memory isn't the problem.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 6:05 PM

<bglists@...> wrote:
> Well I'd not go that far but it is faster on lower spec machines,
> certainly.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

umm, you're confusing ram and storage.  An SD card won't give you more ram, that will only provide more external storage.  swapping SD cards allows you to copy more files to those cards, but does nothing for your RAM, which is where programs run.  2GB is poretty low for any version of windows, except if you're using a tablet, there's not much you can do about it. If you're on a pc, it's (usually) easy to upgrade the ram in the computer, providing you have empty slots or the ram you have isn't maxed out.  Most machines can only take a limited amount of ram, and you need to know what that limit is before trying to upgrade the machine. However, though I don't know for sure, it sounds to me like you're talking about a tablet, in which case, the ram isn't upgradable.

On 2/7/2019 7:05 PM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
[...]

That is not true.  2GB is fine for 32bit versions of Windows.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 10:27 PM

umm, you're confusing ram and storage.  An SD card won't give you more
ram, that will only provide more external storage.  swapping SD cards
allows you to copy more files to those cards, but does nothing for your
RAM, which is where programs run.  2GB is poretty low for any version of
windows, except if you're using a tablet, there's not much you can do
about it. If you're on a pc, it's (usually) easy to upgrade the ram in
the computer, providing you have empty slots or the ram you have isn't
maxed out.  Most machines can only take a limited amount of ram, and you
need to know what that limit is before trying to upgrade the machine.
However, though I don't know for sure, it sounds to me like you're
talking about a tablet, in which case, the ram isn't upgradable.

On 2/7/2019 7:05 PM, Ibrahim Ajayi wrote:
> Hello again:
> I thank all those who found time to respond to my issue.
> Brian, My GBRam is a low grid.  It is just 2GB.  But even with that I
> don't have this problem with JAWS.  But as I said yesterday, chrome
> appears to be reasonably fine with the screen reader, although firefox
> and internet explorer are almost unusable.
> I am thinking of increasing my GB ram with an SDCard.
> Regards.
> Ibrahim.
>
> On 2/7/19, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
> <bglists@...> wrote:
>> Well I'd not go that far but it is faster on lower spec machines,
>> certainly.
>>   Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal E-mail to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.

hi gene.
how about 3 or 4 gb ram with 32bit version of windows?
can i upgrade my 2.5 gb of ram?
is it really good?
and how this work increases usibility and performance of my system?

On 2/8/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain