Topics

Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Cristina Ebetiuc

Good afternoon everybody!
I have got some issues with NVDA in relation with Formulars in word.

1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t Looks like they have iven not been incerted.
  2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not Show the Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus mode. Can you helpp me further?

I am Looking foreward to receiving your feetback!

greetings

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.  These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then in filling in the forms they create).

So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make?  Word is likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you want people to fill in like this.  Something like Google forms are popular for online survey type forms.  For something you want people to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular, ordinary table:

- Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label ("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your response
- For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label ("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width cell below that to enter the response.

A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will work for just about everyone.

Quentin

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Cristina Ebetiuc <ebetiucristina@...> wrote:

1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t Looks like they have iven not been incerted.
  2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not Show the Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus mode. Can you helpp me further?

greetings

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sarah k Alawami

I have no idea what the conversation was about,  but would Microsoft sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.

Tc all.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.  These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then in filling in the forms they create).

So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make?  Word is likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you want people to fill in like this.  Something like Google forms are popular for online survey type forms.  For something you want people to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular, ordinary table:

- Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label ("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your response

- For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label ("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width cell below that to enter the response.

A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will work for just about everyone.

Quentin

greetings

--

Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Sarah,

This is the second message you've said came through in another languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just fine.  I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be  - I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages, just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an email.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

I have no idea what the conversation was about,  but would Microsoft sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.

Tc all.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen

Quentin

greetings

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Cristina Ebetiuc

Hi!
I Need Word for my education. This is the Standard Office writer we use for learn Information & Technology on it. That is why I Need a solution for it.

Von: Quentin Christensen
Gesendet: Montag, 1. Februar 2021 09:47
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

Sarah,

This is the second message you've said came through in another languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just fine.  I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be  - I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages, just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an email.

Tc all.

Quentin

greetings

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Word itself largely works fine - in writing the Basic Training module, I covered pretty much all the functions of Word (or at least tested them out - there were only a couple, such as these developer forms, which I didn't recommend using) - it's just not a good platform for creating forms with buttons and checkboxes etc.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 9:26 PM Cristina Ebetiuc <ebetiucristina@...> wrote:

Hi!
I Need Word for my education. This is the Standard Office writer we use for learn Information & Technology on it. That is why I Need a solution for it.

Sarah,

Tc all.

Quentin

greetings

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

Cristina Ebetiuc

Yes, I see. But what should I do? I still Need this program in my education place.

Gesendet: Montag, 1. Februar 2021 11:58

Word itself largely works fine - in writing the Basic Training module, I covered pretty much all the functions of Word (or at least tested them out - there were only a couple, such as these developer forms, which I didn't recommend using) - it's just not a good platform for creating forms with buttons and checkboxes etc.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 9:26 PM Cristina Ebetiuc <ebetiucristina@...> wrote:

Hi!

Sarah,

Tc all.

Quentin

greetings

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 06:17 AM, Cristina Ebetiuc wrote:
I still Need this program in my education place.
-
And I still can't figure out what you can't access.  Everything I've tried to fire up on the Developer ribbon works.

You need to be more specific about what it is you're trying to achieve and where the process breaks down.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Bob Cavanaugh

That is indeed odd, as all your messages come in in English for me.
Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's
web interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.
This has happened occasionally on this list, and only this list.

On 2/1/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
Sarah,

This is the second message you've said came through in another languages -
it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just fine. I'm trying
to think what the issue you are hitting could be - I would have assumed
even if you had somehow set Outlook to use another language, it still
wouldn't automatically translate messages, just the interface (much like if
you set NVDA's interface language to another language, it only changes how
NVDA's menus are presented and NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for
instance the text of an email.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:

I have no idea what the conversation was about, but would Microsoft sway
work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up in another
language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.

Tc all.

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Quentin
Christensen
*Sent:* Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:09 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now. These
content controls on the developer ribbon have always been problematic in
one way or another (and if not in entering them, then in filling in the
forms they create).

So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make? Word is
likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you want
people to fill in like this. Something like Google forms are popular for
online survey type forms. For something you want people to be able to
either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular, ordinary table:

- Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label
("name",
"address", etc), and the right column is where you type your response

- For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label
("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width
cell
below that to enter the response.

A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab
through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will work
for
just about everyone.

Quentin

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Cristina Ebetiuc
<ebetiucristina@gmail.com>
wrote:

1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t
Looks like they have iven not been incerted.
2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not
read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not Show
the
Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus mode. Can
you
helpp me further?

greetings

Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> für
Windows 10

--

Quentin Christensen

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>

--
Quentin Christensen

Sarah k Alawami

I have not changed anything. I don't even know how to read anything other than English. But her messages come through in French or something like that.

Here is the odd thing. If I select, I can read the message but if I just listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language.  I even tried with espeak. Here is a very short file of what I mean. I dun no even how I should submit this to GitHub as this might be a picnic error, at least for the 2 of us who hear it.

Link to db file is here.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:46 AM

Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's web interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.

On 2/1/21, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

> Sarah,

> This is the second message you've said came through in another

> languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just

> fine.  I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be  -

> I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use

> another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages,

> just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to

> another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and

> NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an email.

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:15 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

>> I have no idea what the conversation was about,  but would Microsoft

>> sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up

>> in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> Tc all.

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> *From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of

>> *Quentin Christensen

>> *Sent:* Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:09 PM

>> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io

>> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and Formulars in MS word

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now. 

>> These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been

>> problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then

>> in filling in the forms they create).

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> So the other part of this is - what are you trying to make?  Word is

>> likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you

>> want people to fill in like this.  Something like Google forms are

>> popular for online survey type forms.  For something you want people

>> to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular, ordinary table:

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> - Have two columns where the cell in the left column is the label

>> ("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your

>> response

>> 

>> - For longer responses, have a full table-width cell with the label

>> ("Please explain why you want to go to Mars?") and a full table-width

>> cell below that to enter the response.

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> A table like this can be printed and filled in by pen, or you can tab

>> through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will

>> work for just about everyone.

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> Quentin

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 AM Cristina Ebetiuc

>> <ebetiucristina@...>

>> wrote:

>> 

>> Good afternoon everybody!

>> I have got some issues with NVDA in relation with Formulars in word.

>> 

>>    1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t

>>    Looks like they have iven not been incerted.

>>    2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not

>>    read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not

>> Show the

>>    Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus

>> mode. Can you

>>    helpp me further?

>> 

>> I am Looking foreward to receiving your feetback!

>> 

>> greetings

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>

>> für Windows 10

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> --

>> 

>> Quentin Christensen

>> Training and Support Manager

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> Web: www.nvaccess.org

>> 

>> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

>> 

>> Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

>> 

>> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

>> 

>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

>> Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>

>> 

>> 

>> 

>> 

> --

> Quentin Christensen

> Training and Support Manager

> Web: www.nvaccess.org

> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

> Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/

> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda

> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess

> Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>

>

Louise Pfau

Hi Sarah.  It's reading English with a German accent.  Interestingly, when I read the subject line using the groups.io web interface, it did the same thing for me when reading the colon in "re:", but not the rest of the information.  I'm using the Windows OneCore voices.

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

Hmm, I’m using outlook over here. As I demonstrated, if I select, I can read it in the English voice. But if I just up and down arrow it reads in the German accent or what ever you said. If I said French in the recording, I apologize deeply.

Well, I do hope that the OP gets their problem fixed either in excel or if they need a form by using sway or google forms.

Good luck and happy Monday.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 1:00 PM

Hi Sarah.  It's reading English with a German accent.  Interestingly, when I read the subject line using the groups.io web interface, it did the same thing for me when reading the colon in "re:", but not the rest of the information.  I'm using the Windows OneCore voices.

Louise

Gene

It has to do with automatic language switching. HTML identifies the language being used and if automatic language switching is on in NVDA and supported by the synthesizer being used, the symthesizer will try to speak in the language designated in the HTML.

I don't know enough about the setting to discuss turning it off nor which synthesizers support it.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 2:31 PM

I have not changed anything. I don't even know how to read anything other than English. But her messages come through in French or something like that.

Here is the odd thing. If I select, I can read the message but if I just listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language. I even tried with espeak. Here is a very short file of what I mean. I dun no even how I should submit this to GitHub as this might be a picnic error, at least for the 2 of us who hear it.

Link to db file is here.

Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's web interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.

Sarah,
This is the second message you've said came through in another
languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just
fine. I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be -
I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use
another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages,
just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to
another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and
NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an email.
I have no idea what the conversation was about, but would Microsoft
sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up
in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.
Tc all.
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Quentin Christensen
I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.
These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been
problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then
in filling in the forms they create).
likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you
want people to fill in like this. Something like Google forms are
popular for online survey type forms. For something you want people
to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular, ordinary table:
("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your
response
cell below that to enter the response.
through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will
work for just about everyone.
Quentin
wrote:
read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not
Show the
Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus
mode. Can you
helpp me further?
greetings
Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
für Windows 10
--
Quentin Christensen
--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

If you disable 'Automatic language switching" does it make a difference?

I just had a quick look at the code and for me the only Lang attribute I can find on the page (reading the original message in GMail's web interface) is in the HTML tag itself: <html lang="en">

Very curious.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
It has to do with automatic language switching.  HTML identifies the
language being used and if automatic language switching is on in NVDA and
supported by the synthesizer being used, the symthesizer will try to speak
in the language designated in the HTML.

I don't know enough about the setting to discuss turning it off nor which
synthesizers support it.

Gene

I have not changed anything. I don't even know how to read anything other
than English. But her messages come through in French or something like
that.

Here is the odd thing. If I select, I can read the message but if I just
listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language.  I
even tried with espeak. Here is a very short file of what I mean. I dun no
even how I should submit this to GitHub as this might be a picnic error, at
least for the 2 of us who hear it.

Link to db file is here.

Christina's messages however read in another language using Gmail's web
interface. When Brian quotes them, they come through in English.

> Sarah,

>

> NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an
> email.

>

>

>

>

>>

>>

>>

>> Tc all.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> *Quentin Christensen

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular,
>> ordinary table:

>>

>>

>>

>> response

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> Quentin

>>

>>

>>

>> <ebetiucristina@...>

>> wrote:

>>

>>

>>    1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t

>>    Looks like they have iven not been incerted.

>>    2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not

>>    read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not

>> Show the

>>    Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus

>> mode. Can you

>>    helpp me further?

>>

>>

>> greetings

>>

>>

>>

>> für Windows 10

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> --

>>

>> Quentin Christensen

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

> --

> Quentin Christensen

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

--
Quentin Christensen

Gene

That's what is telling the screen-reader to use whatever language is specified. There is also a dialect tag. I don't know if they are generally both used, but I've seen complaints from people who go to a web page and their screen-reader suddenly starts speaking with a different English accent.

My understanding is that turning off automatic language switching will stop this behavior.

Gene

Sent: Monday, February 01, 2021 5:07 PM

I just had a quick look at the code and for me the only Lang attribute I can find on the page (reading the original message in GMail's web interface) is in the HTML tag itself: <html lang="en">

Very curious.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
It has to do with automatic language switching. HTML identifies the

synthesizers support it.

Gene

that.

listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language. I

Link to db file is here.

Sarah,
This is the second message you've said came through in another
languages - it's in English for me, and NVDA reads it in English just
fine. I'm trying to think what the issue you are hitting could be -
I would have assumed even if you had somehow set Outlook to use
another language, it still wouldn't automatically translate messages,
just the interface (much like if you set NVDA's interface language to
another language, it only changes how NVDA's menus are presented and
NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an
email.
I have no idea what the conversation was about, but would Microsoft
sway work? I’m only going based on your ideas, Quentin. It shows up
in another language here in outlook. Sorry if I’m way off base here.
Tc all.
*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> *On Behalf Of
*Quentin Christensen
I thought we had an issue for this, but I can't find it just now.
These content controls on the developer ribbon have always been
problematic in one way or another (and if not in entering them, then
in filling in the forms they create).
likely not the best solution for creating something like a form you
want people to fill in like this. Something like Google forms are
popular for online survey type forms. For something you want people
to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular,
ordinary table:
("name", "address", etc), and the right column is where you type your
response
cell below that to enter the response.
through the table and fill in details as appropriate, and it will
work for just about everyone.
Quentin
wrote:
read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not
Show the
Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus
mode. Can you
helpp me further?
greetings
Gesendet von Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
für Windows 10
--
Quentin Christensen
--
Quentin Christensen

--

Quentin Christensen

Twitter: @NVAccess

Sarah k Alawami

Well, I won’t worry about it for now. It’s not a big deal. Now I know what to do should that happen again.

Thanks all.

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 3:07 PM

Very curious.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

It has to do with automatic language switching.  HTML identifies the

synthesizers support it.

Gene

that.

listen, at least with my speech synth it comes out in some odd language.  I

Link to db file is here.

> Sarah,

>

> NVDA messages and words are spoken - not for instance the text of an
> email.

>

>

>

>

>>

>>

>>

>> Tc all.

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> *Quentin Christensen

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> to be able to either fill out on the PC, or print out, use a regular,
>> ordinary table:

>>

>>

>>

>> response

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> Quentin

>>

>>

>>

>> <ebetiucristina@...>

>> wrote:

>>

>>

>>    1. NVDA doesn’t Show the old Formulars from the developer Tools. I t

>>    Looks like they have iven not been incerted.

>>    2. NVDA Shows the new Formulars from the developer Tools but does not

>>    read the names. I have called a chekbox yes, but NVDA does not

>> Show the

>>    Name. Nothing does not work nor in read mode neither in Focus

>> mode. Can you

>>    helpp me further?

>>

>>

>> greetings

>>

>>

>>

>> für Windows 10

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> --

>>

>> Quentin Christensen

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

> --

> Quentin Christensen

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

--

Quentin Christensen

Louise Pfau

Hi.  Thanks for the tip.  I had to turn off language detection for this particular page, because it was reading all of the punctuation marks in German, but the rest of the text in English.  Sarah, I'm not offended that you thought it was French.  I'm no longer fluent, but I knew enough to know what it was doing.

Louise