pronouncing nine hundred


Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

No matter which Sappi 5 synth I use nine zero zero is pronounced nine point o o.
 
******
God has a plan for me. I may not see it right away but I'm willing to wait on the blessing he has in store for me!
 
______
 
Family times Theatre
http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream
Ask your smart speaker to play Family Times on tune-in


 

Check your speech dictionaries.  This sounds like a direct side effect of one of the "quick and dirty" methods that have been proposed for getting numbers pronounced as single digits rather than, in this case, nine hundred.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

I can't confirm this using Microsoft SAPI5 with ETI Eloquence from code factory. 900 reds as it should.


On 5/3/2022 7:54 AM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:
No matter which Sappi 5 synth I use nine zero zero is pronounced nine point o o.
 
******
God has a plan for me. I may not see it right away but I'm willing to wait on the blessing he has in store for me!
 
______
 
Family times Theatre
http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream
Ask your smart speaker to play Family Times on tune-in

-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

I just tested it in notepad with the same result.

On 5/3/2022 8:25 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I can't confirm this using Microsoft SAPI5 with ETI Eloquence from code factory. 900 reds as it should.


On 5/3/2022 7:54 AM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:
No matter which Sappi 5 synth I use nine zero zero is pronounced nine point o o.
 
******
God has a plan for me. I may not see it right away but I'm willing to wait on the blessing he has in store for me!
 
______
 
Family times Theatre
http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream
Ask your smart speaker to play Family Times on tune-in

-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!
--
****** When you give unto others whether or not they give to you in return, It matters not for your job is Complete and your rewards forthcoming. _______ Family times radio http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream or ask your smart speaker to play family times on tune-in


 

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 11:55 AM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:
I just tested it in notepad with the same result.
-
A synthesizer, any synthesizer, can only read what it's handed.  Yes, there are occasional mispronunciations, but reading the three digits 9 0 0 other than nine-hundred is not something that "just happens."  Something is causing the wrong thing to be passed to the synthesizer.

Check your dictionary/dictionaries, for starters.  That is the most likely root of a problem like this.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed


Curtis Delzer
 

now, that's interesting. my synth which I use with NVDA which is the IBM version of Eloquence, (free btw) says nine hundred, which is in  the subject of your message. :) HMM.

On 5/3/2022 4:54 AM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:
No matter which Sappi 5 synth I use nine zero zero is pronounced nine point o o.
 
******
God has a plan for me. I may not see it right away but I'm willing to wait on the blessing he has in store for me!
 
______
 
Family times Theatre
http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream
Ask your smart speaker to play Family Times on tune-in
-- 
Curtis Delzer
H.S.
K6VFO
curtis@...


 

Curtis,

Between yourself, myself, Ron Canazzi, we've all falsified both claims that it's NVDA itself (in out of the box state) or it's the synths.  We've all tested 900 in digits and had them announced as nine hundred across multiple synths.

A synth will only pronounce what it's handed.  There is never an instance where nine zero zero with no actual intervening point/period should have such announced barring something having been done that hands 9.00 to the synth.

This problem is idiosyncratic to the original poster's machine and ecosystem.  As the fault lies there, so will the solution.  The solution has a probability very close to zero of involving any given synth or NVDA in its out of the box state.  It would be very easy to run the NVDA installer and create a portable copy on a USB thumb drive or even in a temporary folder on the machine of one's own creation.  Running that portable version of NVDA as a test, with the same documents and using the same synth, but adding nothing else in the line of add-ons, dictionaries, etc., is an acid test for the NVDA side.  Changing synths, both in the installed NVDA and portable NVDA, and comparing voice output is the acid test for the synth side.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed