Topics

Punctation and Symbols Settings

Karl-Heinz Arkenau <kha@...>

Hello all together,

I have a  question reguarding the Punctuation and Symbols Settings in NVDA.

On my NVDA installation there is the "sentence ending" remark after characters like ".", "," and others.

Does anyone know, what this is about and if it is some sort of configuration, can I do something with it?

Thanks for all your help.

Greetings from northern Germany.

Karl-Heinz Arkenau

Sarah k Alawami

That is the end of a sentence in US english.

On 1 May 2020, at 12:55, Karl-Heinz Arkenau wrote:

Hello all together,

I have a  question reguarding the Punctuation and Symbols Settings in NVDA.

On my NVDA installation there is the "sentence ending" remark after characters like ".", "," and others.

Does anyone know, what this is about and if it is some sort of configuration, can I do something with it?

Thanks for all your help.

Greetings from northern Germany.

Karl-Heinz Arkenau

Karl-Heinz Arkenau <kha@...>

Yes, realized that.

But what does it mean? Do I unterstand in correctly, that every character, which will bei placed there will be interpreted as end of sentence?

It is not mentioned in the users guide, so I am curios.

Thank you!

Karl-Heinz

Am 01.05.2020 um 22:55 schrieb Sarah k Alawami:

That  is the end of a sentence in US english.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our [website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

Our [discord](http://discord.tffppodcast.com)  is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry page](http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast) YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go [here](Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast)

On 1 May 2020, at 12:55, Karl-Heinz Arkenau wrote:

Hello all together,

I have a  question reguarding the Punctuation and Symbols Settings in NVDA.

On my NVDA installation there is the "sentence ending" remark after characters like ".", "," and others.

Does anyone know, what this is about and if it is some sort of configuration, can I do something with it?

Thanks for all your help.

Greetings from northern Germany.

Karl-Heinz Arkenau

Gene

I haven't played with it but it evidently means that if you set a punctuation mark to do something such as be spoken at the end of a sentence, it will be but if the other setting is not to be spoken in general, it won't be elswhere. I may not have phrased exactly what you might set punctuation to do in that dialog since I've harddly played with it but what I said should help you understand how it affects when something will be done.

[...]

Huh? No, the period ends a sentence. This has nothing to do with nvda. I'm a bit lost as to your question. What exactly do you need to know? Are you saying that the characters get punctuated with the period? If not, can you please be a bit more clear?

Blessings and happy Friday

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page you will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

On 1 May 2020, at 14:14, Karl-Heinz Arkenau wrote:

[...]

In the punctuation dialog, there is a setting for some marks that deal with the end of a sentence.

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 07:05 PM, Gene wrote:
In the punctuation dialog, there is a setting for some marks that deal with the end of a sentence.
As well as other relative positions.  A good example of that is what gets labeled as "negative number" which I'd have to presume is a hyphen when placed immediately before a numeric digit.

The first three are period at the end of a sentence, pronounced as dot, exclamation point at end of sentence, pronounced as bang, and question mark at end of sentence, pronounced as question.  (This is, of course, when you're in a reading mode with punctuation symbols enabled.  There's also an in-word single quotation mark, pronounced as tick.

Other than a couple of phrase ending characters, like semicolon and colon, the rest are mostly emoji characters, fractions, and monetary symbols.

I've had an explanation of the levels and preservation in the past (and it was probably on this group, but might have been via private correspondence) but I can't recall exactly how those two attributes work.

I'd imagine there has got to be a language-specific pronunciation table for punctuation, but since I've never used any language but English (and don't intend to experiment at the moment) I can't say for certain.

Karl-Heinz Arkenau <kha@...>

Hey,

ok, I unerstand that.

But there is no way to change that sttings, right? Or didn't I just recognized that?

Thank you!

Karl-Heinz Arkenau

Am 02.05.2020 um 02:08 schrieb Brian Vogel:

[...]

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States ( https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html ) , September 23, 2019

Unless you can tell us what it is you'd like to change, specifically, it's impossible to say.  You can certainly modify the attributes on anything in that list in the dialog, whether it will achieve what you want to do is another matter.  You can add items to the list as well.

No one can give specific guidance for an utterly unspecific question.  The most specific I can get is, "Yes, you can change those settings."

Karl-Heinz Arkenau <kha@...>

^Hey there,

ok, than a little bit more specific. ;-)

In my installation of NVDA the first linein the list of interpunction and symbols it says:

".senntence ending", "replace by ."," Level: All"and in the last column(Keep" it says "always.
My question now ist: "What does these "endeing sentence" mean? Can I add this the any other sign? Or is this given by NVDA?

I hope it is a little more specific now.

Yours

Karl-Heinz".

Am 02.05.2020 um 16:48 schrieb Brian Vogel:

Unless you can tell us what it is you'd like to change, specifically, it's impossible to say.  You can certainly modify the attributes on anything in that list in the dialog, whether it will achieve what you want to do is another matter.  You can add items to the list as well.

No one can give specific guidance for an utterly unspecific question.  The most specific I can get is, "Yes, you can change those settings."

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States ( https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html ) , September 23, 2019

I don't know how to make the explanation "sentence ending" more clear, but I'll try.  It means a period at the end of a sentence, like this one.   It does not mean a decimal point, like this, 151.20, or a date separator, like this, 2020.05.02, or any one of a number of other contexts where a period might be used other than as the terminal punctuation on a sentence.

Any of the punctuation settings that "come with" NVDA are given by NVDA and some, like this one, cannot be removed (and who would want to?).  I feel fairly certain that the descriptive phrase, "period, sentence ending," is, under the hood, a regular expression that catches the character before the period, the period itself, and makes sure that there is white space of some sort following it or that it is the very end of a string with nothing after it.  That would not be a clearer explanation to the majority of people than, "period, sentence ending."

I do not see any way to give the sentence ending attribute to some random other symbol, but why would one want to do so?  Off the top of my head, the three sentence ending punctuation marks in most (not all) European languages are period, question mark, and exclamation point.   All those are already covered by what "comes with" the NVDA punctuation characters list, though you could choose to modify what's announced.  Just the other day someone was asking about forcing sentence ending exclamation point to be pronounced as exclamation point rather than bang when reading at the punctuation level, which you can do by changing the replacement word from "bang" to the two words "exclamation point."  There is a separate entry for the exclamation point symbol, in a non-sentence ending context, that uses bang as its replacement.  If you do a lot of programming where the exclamation point is used for negation, and you're having that read, it's a lot faster and cleaner to hear something like, "If bang A," rather than, "If exclamation point A," since bang has been used as the shorthand name for exclamation point for a very long time now.

Karl-Heinz Arkenau <kha@...>

Hello,

thank you for the good explenation.

Of course, alls this makes (at leeast to me, somewehere in the word mey be someone with a different opinion...) sense...but I was wondering this "sentence ending" because it is not mentionend anywhere in die Users Guide and that made me curios and I couldn't let go of it. It's my nature..sorry if it was disturbing.

Greetings

Karl-Heinz

Am 02.05.2020 um 18:25 schrieb Brian Vogel:

[...]

Hi,
I recommend not editing the first few entries (such as ". sentence ending"), as they are reserved for use when processing characters (there is a dedicated module in NVDA that will look for these and take appropriate action).
Cheers,
Joseph

.html ) , September 23, 2019

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 02:41 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
I recommend not editing the first few entries (such as ". sentence ending"),
Even if the edit is only to what the replacement word is?  (Yes, this is a serious question, as I can see how many might prefer "period" to "dot." I leave all else alone).

Karl-Heinz Arkenau <kha@...>

Ok,

that also make sense...but perhabs this should also be mentionend in die Users Guide...in my opinion.

Yours

Karl-Heinz Arkenau

.html ) , September 23, 2019

Hi,
Not necessarily, as the goal of the user guide is to provide a high-level overview and basic instructions for using NVDA. A better place for this kind of discussion would be developer guide. At the moment I'm reluctant to suggest changes to developer guide, as developers are focusing on backlog of bug fix requests and pull requests.
Cheers,
Joseph

.html ) , September 23, 2019

Hi,

At least you can change how NVDA will say it (you can’t change the qualifier part of that entry though).

Cheers,

Joseph