Punctuation level has stopped working

Gerry

Hello

A few days ago I noticed that the Punctuation level set in my nvda had changed to All. This is not what I want.

I tried to reset to Some but this did not work. I tried to reset to None, same result. In both cases I saved the settings and restarted my computer. Nothing seems to work.

I am on nvda version 2021.2 and Windows 10 version 21h OS build 19043.1288

I have looked at the user manual but cannot see what I am doing wrong.

I have not tried the COMREG as it seems over the top for this issue.

I have no Add-ons running.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Gerry Parsons

Quentin Christensen

Are you using any NVDA add-ons?  For it to have changed a few days ago if you have been running NVDA 2021.2 for some time indicates a change in something other than NVDA itself, and to affect an NVDA feature such as punctuation, a change to an add-on or your synthesizer seem most likely.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Gene

When you say it didn't work, do you mean you could change the setting and it worked until you quit NVDA and ran it again or are you saying that there was no change when you tried to change the setting?  the answer to the question may help identify what is causing the problem.

Gene

On 11/1/2021 6:05 AM, Gerry wrote:
Hello

A few days ago I noticed that the Punctuation level set in my nvda had changed to All. This is not what I want.

I tried to reset to Some but this did not work. I tried to reset to None, same result. In both cases I saved the settings and restarted my computer. Nothing seems to work.

I am on nvda version 2021.2 and Windows 10 version 21h OS build 19043.1288

I have looked at the user manual but cannot see what I am doing wrong.

I have not tried the COMREG as it seems over the top for this issue.

I have no Add-ons running.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Gerry Parsons

Gerry

No, when I changed the setting it had no effect, either immediately or after a restart. In answer to a question from Quentin, when the problem first arose, I updated to the latest version first before trying out anything else.

thanks

Gerry

On 01/11/2021 11:18, Gene wrote:
[...]

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

Have you ever had the idea of restoring NVDA settings? If that doesn't work, re-install NVDA

Em seg., 1 de nov. de 2021 às 08:18, Gene <gsasner@...> escreveu:

When you say it didn't work, do you mean you could change the setting
and it worked until you quit NVDA and ran it again or are you saying
that there was no change when you tried to change the setting?  the
answer to the question may help identify what is causing the problem.

Gene

On 11/1/2021 6:05 AM, Gerry wrote:
> Hello
>
> A few days ago I noticed that the Punctuation level set in my nvda had
> changed to All. This is not what I want.
>
> I tried to reset to Some but this did not work. I tried to reset to
> None, same result. In both cases I saved the settings and restarted my
> computer. Nothing seems to work.
>
> I am on nvda version 2021.2 and Windows 10 version 21h OS build
> 19043.1288
>
> I have looked at the user manual but cannot see what I am doing wrong.
>
> I have not tried the COMREG as it seems over the top for this issue.
>
> I have no Add-ons running.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gerry Parsons

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

what voice are you using in NVDA? as they said, it could be the voice, but I don't think so, because before it was doing fine, so I don't know the problem, but try switching to espeak NG and see if the problem persists

On 01/11/2021 11:18, Gene wrote:
> When you say it didn't work, do you mean you could change the setting
> and it worked until you quit NVDA and ran it again or are you saying
> that there was no change when you tried to change the setting? the
> answer to the question may help identify what is causing the problem.
>

> Gene
>
> On 11/1/2021 6:05 AM, Gerry wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> A few days ago I noticed that the Punctuation level set in my nvda
>> had changed to All. This is not what I want.
>>
>> I tried to reset to Some but this did not work. I tried to reset to
>> None, same result. In both cases I saved the settings and restarted
>> my computer. Nothing seems to work.
>>
>> I am on nvda version 2021.2 and Windows 10 version 21h OS build
>> 19043.1288
>>
>> I have looked at the user manual but cannot see what I am doing wrong.
>>
>> I have not tried the COMREG as it seems over the top for this issue.
>>
>> I have no Add-ons running.
>>
>> Any ideas.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gerry Parsons

Gerry

I use David from One core voices. I tried your suggestion but it made no difference, but thanks.

Gerry

On 01/11/2021 11:18, Gene wrote:
> When you say it didn't work, do you mean you could change the setting
> and it worked until you quit NVDA and ran it again or are you saying
> that there was no change when you tried to change the setting? the
> answer to the question may help identify what is causing the problem.
>

> Gene
>
> On 11/1/2021 6:05 AM, Gerry wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> A few days ago I noticed that the Punctuation level set in my nvda
>> had changed to All. This is not what I want.
>>
>> I tried to reset to Some but this did not work. I tried to reset to
>> None, same result. In both cases I saved the settings and restarted
>> my computer. Nothing seems to work.
>>
>> I am on nvda version 2021.2 and Windows 10 version 21h OS build
>> 19043.1288
>>
>> I have looked at the user manual but cannot see what I am doing wrong.
>>
>> I have not tried the COMREG as it seems over the top for this issue.
>>
>> I have no Add-ons running.
>>
>> Any ideas.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Gerry Parsons

Gene

Do you have the exe file for installing NVDA?  You can see if the problem is an NVDA problem or something else by running the exe file and creating a portable version.  Then close NVDA and run the portable version.  Do you still have the same problem and do you have it when running the same voice?  If you don't, you can uninstall NVDA and manually uninstall anything that the uninstaller leaves behind.  Settings, for example, are probably left behind.  Then you can do a complete reinstall, but before doing that and having to set everything over again and install add-ons again, you can test with a portable version.

Gene

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 09:51 AM, Gene wrote:
You can see if the problem is an NVDA problem or something else by running the exe file and creating a portable version.
-
As an aside, you don't even have to go so far as creating a portable version.  One of the buttons in the License Agreement dialog that is the first thing that shows up when you run the installer is Continue running.  The other two are Install NVDA on this computer and Create a Portable Copy.

Activating the Continue running button makes the installer itself act as though it is a portable copy (without any add-ons or other configuration changes) without actually having to create an actual portable copy.  It also doesn't, of course, install on the computer, either.

This is a very convenient way to test with another version of NVDA if all you have is the installer and you don't really want to install or to create a portable copy for use elsewhere.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gerry

This sounds interesting

Brian wrote...

This is a very convenient way to test with another version of NVDA if all you have is the installer and you don't really want to install or to create a portable copy for use elsewhere.

I have the latest version installed, do I have to uninstall first in order to re-install and see the licence dialogue?

I am not very tekky, so would it be easier to go for the portable version?

thanks

Gerry

On 01/11/2021 15:02, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Tyler Spivey

What are you doing to change the punctuation level, and what does NVDA say?

Also, which punctuation is being read?

On 11/1/2021 8:29 AM, Gerry wrote:
This sounds interesting
Brian wrote...
[...]

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM, Gerry wrote:
I have the latest version installed, do I have to uninstall first in order to re-install and see the licence dialogue?
-
No, the License agreement is the very first thing that pops up, and that's by intention since you could be choosing to run what amounts to a portable version of the version you're already using, but "naked," that is, without any of your existing add-ons or other customizations associated with it.

That's a convenient way to figure out if an add-on and/or some settings tweaking you've done for your installed version is causing something to occur that does not occur in the "naked" version.  You can also do the tweaks you know you have already done in your installed version, one at a time, in an attempt to see which thing suddenly makes things go wonky.  I've never tried getting add-ons when using this "on the fly" method.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

I didn’t discuss that option for the following reason:
I have an installed version of NVDA.  When I run the exe file and use the continue running option, the program runs with the settings it somehow finds in the installed version.  Even the synthesizer I use runs and it isn’t the default.  When I make a portable bversion and close NVDA and run it after creation, it runs with default settings.  You might be able to get around this by using continue runnning and then use NVDA key control r, three times rapidly to return to factory settings but since I’m not sure what the cause of the problem is and if this completely returns everything to factory settings, I didn’t discuss the continue running option.  But that is the most conbenient way to test as a first step, use continue running and then, if necessary, use NBVDA control r executed rapidly three times to return to factory settings.

Sent: Monday, November 01, 2021 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Punctuation level has stopped working

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 12:45 PM, Gene wrote:
When I run the exe file and use the continue running option, the program runs with the settings it somehow finds in the installed version.
-
I have the same issue, but hadn't really noticed during my initial testing.  Even though I have the 2021.3 beta installed, if I run the 2020.3 installer with the continue running option it does pick up my add-ons.

So, I'll retract in that if you want the easiest way to create a "naked" copy of NVDA, I'd definitely either create a portable copy straight out of the installer or out of an installed version of NVDA but not checking the checkbox for Copy current user configuration.

It's far too easy to forget about this "automagic pickup" of existing installed bits, and if you're intentionally trying to avoid that, best to use the way that insures you are avoiding that, even if it takes a bit more time to set up.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gerry

I have found the answer and I apologise for the red herring. When the problem started I went into Preferences and then Punctuation/Symbol pronunciation. Now I have found another option to select Punctuation in the Speech menu and this was set to All. Having reset to Some it now works OK.

Is there a reason for Punctuation level to be in two places?

Thanks for all the help and I will be making myself a portable copy.

Gerry

On 01/11/2021 17:43, Brian Vogel wr

[...]

The level in the Punctuation/symbol pronunciation dialog tells NVDA at what level to speak a punctuation symbol. If you set it to none, it will be spoken when you have punctuation set to none, and all higher levels such as some, most, etc.  If you set it to some, it won’t be spoken in the none level but it will be spoken in some and all higher levels, and so on.  You set the level for each punctuation mark individually.