Q-Installer?

Chris Smart

Has anybody run across a utility that lives in the System Tray called Q-Installer?

It appears to be an update manager for my motherboard, but it doesn’t seem too accessible with NVDA. Do any of you have tips or tricks for using it?

Thanks

Chris

Bobby

never hurd of it

On 8/17/2021 9:11 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Has anybody run across a utility that lives in the System Tray called Q-Installer?

It appears to be an update manager for my motherboard, but it doesn’t seem too accessible with NVDA. Do any of you have tips or tricks for using it?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Smart

Thanks, that was a helpful response. LOL

On 8/17/2021 9:11 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Has anybody run across a utility that lives in the System Tray called Q-Installer?

It appears to be an update manager for my motherboard, but it doesn’t seem too accessible with NVDA. Do any of you have tips or tricks for using it?

Thanks

Chris

William James

I would try using Narrator to gain access to this utility.  Sometimes, NVDA appears to have frozen.  No object navigation, nothing else works.

Pro Max

On Aug 17, 2021, at 9:38 PM, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

Thanks, that was a helpful response. LOL

On 8/17/2021 9:11 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Has anybody run across a utility that lives in the System Tray called
Q-Installer?

It appears to be an update manager for my motherboard, but it doesn’t seem
too accessible with NVDA. Do any of you have tips or tricks for using it?

Thanks

Chris

Jackie

The whole purpose of the utility is so folks can't access it. It's
basically a motherboard rootkit.

On 8/17/21, Jackie McBride <abletec@gmail.com> wrote:
Chris S, check out:
https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/asus-z390-motherboards-automatically-push-software-into-your-windows-installation?cp=3

On 8/17/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@winsystem.org> wrote:
Thanks, that was a helpful response. LOL

On 8/17/2021 9:11 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Has anybody run across a utility that lives in the System Tray called
Q-Installer?

It appears to be an update manager for my motherboard, but it doesn’t
seem
too accessible with NVDA. Do any of you have tips or tricks for using it?

Thanks

Chris

I have not had any of this but I could see where it would be a good idea and also why not.

I have an old asus h series board.

It does come with a lot of extra software, but I only load the drivers.

However I have noticed this with some of my mice, logitech, microsoft, etc and cameras and other hardware like my printers and the like.

You can turn some of this off but I have never had a bad experience with it and in fact like that my hardware is loading its own drivers rather than letting windows use generic drivers.

I do think there should be more control of this stuff though as malware users could write straight to the bios though a lot of this stuff can be secured against.

Its another thing to check when setting up for the first time though.

I have recently setup an old hp server for one of my uncles which was set to start and shut down at certain times as well as load a load of extras as it was set for a business.

When it was sold x lease no one thought to clear the bios and eufi so I needed a friend who I had about to fix that but its ok now.

So obviously I will have to be carefull and get people to go through eufi every time I set things up.

I don't want extra junk being installed, I want control of what is loaded.

Now if there is a way to control within the os what is loaded, and how its kept updated maybe I'd be happy with that.

On 18/08/2021 3:05 pm, Jackie wrote:
The whole purpose of the utility is so folks can't access it. It's
basically a motherboard rootkit.

On 8/17/21, Jackie McBride <abletec@gmail.com> wrote:
Chris S, check out:
https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/asus-z390-motherboards-automatically-push-software-into-your-windows-installation?cp=3

On 8/17/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@winsystem.org> wrote:
Thanks, that was a helpful response. LOL

On 8/17/2021 9:11 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Has anybody run across a utility that lives in the System Tray called
Q-Installer?

It appears to be an update manager for my motherboard, but it doesn’t
seem
too accessible with NVDA. Do any of you have tips or tricks for using it?

Thanks

Chris

Jackie

Well, this will be my last post on the topic because it's not on
topic, but, having been a victim of Asus's compromised servers (see
https://thehackernews.com/2019/03/asus-computer-hacking.html among
others), I can tell you it makes a cat on a hot tin roof appear sedate
compared to the way I feel about it all.

[...]

to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR
by
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

tim

no, and that is not part of windows. Done to many installs not to notice that in task tray or even program list.

That most of come from manufacture or who ever setup that computer.