From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Kingett
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6:26 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Q Read alternative

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

Mallard

Oh, thanks millions!

I have Qread, bought at the very beginning of its life, but I-m always interested in ebook realing programmes.

Ciao,

Ollie

On 18/03/2020 14:26, Robert Kingett wrote:

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

The initial developer didn't fix the broken manual link so I've included the correct link below. I left a PR though on their git page.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/guide/

Mallard

Many thanks.

I-ve downloaded BookWorm, both installer and portable.

Ciao,

Ollie

On 21/03/2020 21:48, Robert Kingett wrote:

The initial developer didn't fix the broken manual link so I've included the correct link below. I left a PR though on their git page.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/guide/

Daniel Damacena

It would be so great if it respected the original formatting!

I explain: it includes line breaks to make it more suitable for low vision users, but it makes you unable to navigate by paragraphs or sentences.

I wish it has an option to choose between the original formatting and suitable for low vision users...

But, off course, it is extremely good to read continuously!

Em 21/03/2020 18:06, Mallard escreveu:

Many thanks.

I-ve downloaded BookWorm, both installer and portable.

Ciao,

Ollie

On 21/03/2020 21:48, Robert Kingett wrote:

The initial developer didn't fix the broken manual link so I've included the correct link below. I left a PR though on their git page.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/guide/

Kevin Cussick

Hi, I have this but it does not read text files.

On 21/03/2020 20:36, Mallard wrote:
Oh, thanks millions!
I have Qread, bought at the very beginning of its life, but I-m always interested in ebook realing programmes.
Ciao,
Ollie
On 18/03/2020 14:26, Robert Kingett wrote:

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

Jason White

Another option is to install Thorium Reader from the Microsoft Store. It supports EPUB books. Bookshare can be set so that it provides downloads in EPUB format.

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Kingett <kingettr@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 09:26
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

David Griffith

I know I am biased because I have done a podcast series on this fantastic app but for me the best accessible ePub Book    reader on a  PC , either paid, or free , remains by a  country mile remains the free Speak On Media Suite.

I am continually amazed it is never ever mentioned as an accessible option for reading ePub books.

Just to mention a few of its features.

Customisation of book reading voice including on the fly adjustment of reading volume and speed  of narration whilst reading a book through hotkeys. I know of no other book reader which does this.

Able to easily navigate through a book by chapter structure ,  headings, 50 lines, paragraph, sentence line word or character.

Ability to easily set markers in text of ePub books and copy and paste this text out of Speak On into a Word Processor.

Alternatively control a and control c will copy the chapter as text.

Ability to get single key press on book location and information.

Ability to resume reading from last position read on any book even if file location has changed.

Bookmark management  - ability to set and delete bookmarks.

It even has a virtual book creation function based on a search term which is incredibly  useful for study purposes.

Suppose you have a long academic book you need to search through to study a topic, you can in Speak On define a search term and Speak On will produce a smaller "virtual eBook” which will consists only of the chapters which contain the key phrase or terms in your defined search pattern. Again I know of no other accessible eBook reader which contains this feature.

David Griffith

Just to mention just a few of the features.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Kingett <kingettr@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 09:26
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

The only thing I could find about speak on is the below website? The last update was 2016. Is there a newer version I'm missing? It seems like it's a media player rather than a book reader so if anybody has an updated link, put it in the thread.

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

Jackie

I really do wish there were an alternative to QRead. I bought it at
version 3.11. The 3.21 version is now messed up so badly that it's
basically unusable, ie, the speech will not start from the last
position anymore. So I downgraded & every 2 hours I get nagged about
whether I want to update, which, obviously, h e hockeystick x 2 no, I
don't. I have tried to contact the authors about the problem w/o
success, so definitively QRead is not a program I can recommend
anymore. Would it were otherwise, because it used to be really good &
filled a large gap in terms of reading solutions, & I did indeed
recommend it highly back in the 3.11 era, as I considered $30 a really
reasonable price tag for what the program does. I just tried
contacting the developers again--guess we'll see how that goes. The
msg did go through this time so that may (or may not) be a promising
development. Perhaps the shadow still knows as regards that. The truth
is they probly weren't making enough money to make it worth their
while, & I can understand that, & I understand as well they've been
putting effort into NVDA Remote, but gosh, when an update seriously
breaks something in a program, it would be nice if that situation
could at least be remedied.

On 3/21/20, Robert Kingett <@blindjourno> wrote:
The only thing I could find about speak on is the below website? The last
update was 2016. Is there a newer version I'm missing? It seems like it's a
media player rather than a book reader so if anybody has an updated link,
put it in the thread.

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

It does all it mentions and is very easy to use.

he also done the speech hub program where you could install other packages of synths like all in the one place like a hub. But the add on needs to be updated so it works with the newer nvda 2019.3

The developers name is Isaac Porat He also done a calculator program which I think is hosted off the same website.

Have not seen him on list That would be the latest version as it done all he wanted.

he does have a email list that you could contact h him on.

Gene nz

it to doRobert Kingett wrote:

The only thing I could find about speak on is the below website? The last update was 2016. Is there a newer version I'm missing? It seems like it's a media player rather than a book reader so if anybody has an updated link, put it in the thread.

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

JM Casey

David.

It sounds like a neat programme, but I’m wondering how advantageous it would be for a braille display user who does not really use speech to read all that much. Any thoughtson that?

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Kingett <kingettr@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 09:26
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

David Griffith

It is  not a media player rather than a book reader but both and a lot lot more.

I will send a list of my Podcasts on it in a minute,

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10