Topics

Q Read alternative

Gerardo Corripio

TuneIn? Wow you guys got me hooked! I’ll definitely listen to the podcasts shared earlier, and try it out! thanks for the recommendation!

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

El 22 mar 2020, a la(s) 10:10 a.m., David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> escribió:

Speak On was developed in the UK so the only direct connections it has to download is content from the RNIB eText and Audio Newsagent service and it also connects directly to TuneIn Radio if you have an  account with them.

However it does have a “Virtual Reader” function which interacts with the automatic eText digital content  generated by for Newspapers and Magazines in the UK which makes for a more pleasant reading experience.

If Newsline produces material in ePub2 format then it may be worth importing the content into Speak On and try reading it with the RNIB eText Newsagent app anyway to see if this provides a good experience.

If you wanted to do this you would need to first of all add the RNIB eText app from the add plugins section of the Tools menu and then place your Newsline content, assuming it is epPub2  into  the Current Reading directory under the RNIB etect directory under My Speak On media folder.

Of course you can also read the ePub also using Speak On’s eBook function – one of the worst decisions Isaac took was to name this app Text Publications which disguises it utility as an eBook reader.

David Griffith

So it cannot, as far as I am aware connect

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Kingett <kingettr@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 09:26
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Q Read alternative

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

Mallard

Hello,

I have one question. Does it support Braille?

Thanks,

Ciao,

Ollie

*Date: *Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 09:26
*To: *<nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

Mallard

I'm still using it, and have the latest version, because I don't use speech. With braille it works very well, but it's true that it's been more or less abandoned.

Piry, really

On 22/03/2020 03:13, Jackie wrote:
I really do wish there were an alternative to QRead. I bought it at
version 3.11. The 3.21 version is now messed up so badly that it's
basically unusable, ie, the speech will not start from the last
position anymore. So I downgraded & every 2 hours I get nagged about
whether I want to update, which, obviously, h e hockeystick x 2 no, I
don't. I have tried to contact the authors about the problem w/o
success, so definitively QRead is not a program I can recommend
anymore. Would it were otherwise, because it used to be really good &
filled a large gap in terms of reading solutions, & I did indeed
recommend it highly back in the 3.11 era, as I considered $30 a really
reasonable price tag for what the program does. I just tried
contacting the developers again--guess we'll see how that goes. The
msg did go through this time so that may (or may not) be a promising
development. Perhaps the shadow still knows as regards that. The truth
is they probly weren't making enough money to make it worth their
while, & I can understand that, & I understand as well they've been
putting effort into NVDA Remote, but gosh, when an update seriously
breaks something in a program, it would be nice if that situation
could at least be remedied.

On 3/21/20, Robert Kingett <@blindjourno> wrote:
The only thing I could find about speak on is the below website? The last
update was 2016. Is there a newer version I'm missing? It seems like it's a
media player rather than a book reader so if anybody has an updated link,
put it in the thread.

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

Isaac Porat

Hi

More information on SpeakOn based on questions on this thread and others.

SpeakOn home page is at:

http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

You will find information on the media types its support, links to the docs and mailing list.

The tutorials produced by David Griffith recently found somewhere else on this thread are excellent.

Although the latest version was released in 2016 with one minor exception everything works and there are know known bugs.

SpeakOn supports English only and does not support Braille.

It does not support PDF either.

It is recommended by RNIB in the UK for reading their audio books in Daisy; SpeakOn supports Daisy 2 used mostly (I think) in Europe. It does not support Daisy 3 in the US.

Being developed in the UK it supports RNIB newspapers and magazines in test (epub) and audio.

It supports the epub format generally.

It does not support DRM as used mostly in the US

The NVDA SpeakOn add-on is not necessary to use it but makes sure that NVDA does not speakOn when SpeakOn has the focus; it does not speak much anyway and I shall release an updated version of this add-on soon to this list.

Regards

Isaac Porat

SpeakOn's developer

*From: *<nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Kingett <@blindjourno>
*Date: *Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 09:26
*To: *<nvda@nvda.groups.io>

I wanted to share an open source Q Read alternative called Bookworm. It does not have bookshare support yet, nor does it support links, and headings, or tables, but still. It's a free option. The main website is below, where you can also read the manual.

I'm adding this to the accessible apps github page when I have a moment.

https://mush42.github.io/bookworm/

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi david

could I link to those files in a page I am putting together?

I was not aware of them until you posted them.

If I can then I will also put it into a page where they can get it from etc etc so it makes it easier for people to find.

Gene nz