Query regarding NVDA Logging Level

Kakarla Nageswaraiah

Dear all,

I'm a full time user of NVDA.

I'd like to know about different options of login level under
Preferences > Settings > General.

What is the difference between Info, Debug warning, Input/Output and Debug?

Kindly elaborate.

Thanks and regards.

--
కాకర్ల నాగేశ్వరయ్య

K. Nageswaraiah

Quentin Christensen

They're "Log" level, rather than login level - they determine the amount of information recorded in your NVDA log file.  You can find the log in your %temp% folder (note the percent signs either side of the word temp).

The higher the level (with debug being the highest), the more amount of information is recorded in the log.  We don't recommend leaving it set to a high level generally, just because of the amount of extra information it records, particularly potentially personal information if it is recording what you type and what it reads.  Note that no matter what level the log is set to, nothing is ever done with it - ie it is never sent anywhere unless you attach it to an email etc (which I might ask you to do for a bug I can't replicate).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 2:48 PM Kakarla Nageswaraiah <nageswara1982@...> wrote:
Dear all,

I'm a full time user of NVDA.

I'd like to know about different options of login level under
Preferences > Settings > General.

What is the difference between Info, Debug warning, Input/Output and Debug?

Kindly elaborate.

Thanks and regards.

--
కాకర్ల నాగేశ్వరయ్య

K. Nageswaraiah

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Not sure if you are aware but a few versions back  if you wanted to find out what was said about say the log in level and the differences between levels when you are on it press the F1 key. This then brings up the browser hopefully to that section and you can read the differences between levels. If it does not appear to the section first time hit the F5 key and it should put you on it or at least to a section. Same idea for the rest of nvda.

Depends which browser is used if it comes up first time or not. where you have to hit F5 key to bring it up.

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 25/08/2022 4:48 pm, Kakarla Nageswaraiah wrote:
Dear all,

I'm a full time user of NVDA.

I'd like to know about different options of login level under
Preferences > Settings > General.

What is the difference between Info, Debug warning, Input/Output and Debug?

Kindly elaborate.

Thanks and regards.

Title revised for clarity.

         ~ Vance Packard

Quentin Christensen

Good point Gene!  And doing that on the logging level control in NVDA's general settings takes you right to the description in the User Guide: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#GeneralSettingsLogLevel

(It will take you to your local copy, but I've linked the same section in the online version).

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Brian's Mail list account

I think its more important to only set it high on a new version of a beta or alpha on a machine. I have often wondered though if it actually slows down any operations when set high?

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

nageswara1982@...> wrote:

Dear all,

I'm a full time user of NVDA.

I'd like to know about different options of login level under
Preferences > Settings > General.

What is the difference between Info, Debug warning, Input/Output and Debug?

Kindly elaborate.

Thanks and regards.

--
కాకర్ల నాగేశ్వరయ్య

K. Nageswaraiah

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Quentin Christensen

I haven't found it to slow anything down - if you look at how much it records, yes it can record a lot to wade through if you are using debug level and looking back over several hours - but in scheme of modern computers, I've never noticed a slowdown from a higher log level.  The main reason we don't recommend leaving it on any of the higher settings is just privacy so you don't have anything stored in the log.