Topics

Question about add-on help

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I've noticed that some of the add-ons in the add-ons manager don't have an associated help button.  Add-on updater is an example.  Was that intentional?

Thanks,

Louise

Luke Davis

What version of NVDA are you running? (NVDA+n, h, a)

I see a help button while highlighting Add-on Updater, and it works.

I'm running the latest alpha.

Luke

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021, Louise Pfau wrote:

Hi.  I've noticed that some of the add-ons in the add-ons manager don't have an associated help button.  Add-on updater is an example.  Was that
intentional?

Luke Davis

Louise

If you press NVDA+n, t, a, enter, you will be in the add-on manager.
You can then use your arrow keys until "Add-on Updater" is spoken.
If you then hit tab twice, what do you hear?

Luke

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I'm running NVDA 2020.4.    I don't know what happened, but when I tabbed through all of the controls of the add-ons manager dialog last night, the help button didn't show up for some add-ons.  I shut down my computer every night.  When I restarted the computer this morning, the dialog behaved correctly.  I feel extremely silly.

Louise

Hi,

To be clear, is “Add-on help” button showing when you select Add-on Updater? I know that it does on my system – I do know that it doesn’t for languages other than English, and this is due to the fact that translated documentation aren’t transferred to the add-on correctly (something beyond the add-on’s control).

In general, most add-ons should let NVDA open their help files. Some don’t, and these are typically old add-ons unless add-on documentation are not built when packaging add-ons. In fact, one of the things the add-ons community looks at when reviewing add-ons is presence of add-on help files (documentation checks), and effort is ongoing to improve the quality of add-on documentation (there is a bigger project that concerns NVDA source code documentation, but that’s for another time).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 10:34 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about add-on help

Hi.  I'm running NVDA 2020.4.    I don't know what happened, but when I tabbed through all of the controls of the add-ons manager dialog last night, the help button didn't show up for some add-ons.  I shut down my computer every night.  When I restarted the computer this morning, the dialog behaved correctly.  I feel extremely silly.

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  It looks like I spoke too soon.  When I opened the add-ons manager after exiting it, the help button disappeared.  It looks like it's gone for all add-ons, not just some of them as I originally thought.  Restarting NVDA didn't seem to remedy the problem.  It seems as if the help button only shows up the first time I open add-ons manager after restarting the computer.  I'm not confident enough to try a windows repair or the com registration tool, because I don't know if it will mess something up.  I know it shouldn't in theory, but you never know with technology.

Louise

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this – add-on help button shows up for add-ons with documentation every time I open add-ons manager. I bet this is something that cannot be fixed with COM registration tool, so I advise restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2021 10:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about add-on help

Hi.  It looks like I spoke too soon.  When I opened the add-ons manager after exiting it, the help button disappeared.  It looks like it's gone for all add-ons, not just some of them as I originally thought.  Restarting NVDA didn't seem to remedy the problem.  It seems as if the help button only shows up the first time I open add-ons manager after restarting the computer.  I'm not confident enough to try a windows repair or the com registration tool, because I don't know if it will mess something up.  I know it shouldn't in theory, but you never know with technology.

Louise