Question about updating from NVDA 2021.2 to 2021.3 with Windows 10 21H2

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I've got a couple of concerns about installing the update to NVDA 2021.3 when it's released because I've just installed the update to Windows 10, 21H2.  Has NVDA had the same problem that JAWS has with regard to doing overinstalls or repairs in conflict with the recent update to Windows 10, 21H2?  If I'm not mistaken, updating from NVDA 2021.2 to 2021.3 would be considered an overinstall.  I don't usually install NVDA updates as a portable copy, but install them over the previous version, unless something goes off, at which point I'll do a clean install using the most recent executable.  I know there was a message on the Windows list about the conflict between JAWS and the Windows 10, 21H2 update that Microsoft is aware of.  If NVDA users haven't had a problem, is there a chance that Microsoft will fix the problem before the stable version of NVDA 2021.3 is released?

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

I don’t use the updater but if I did, in case there were a problem with the update, I would make sure I still had the previous version available with all the settings and add-ons that were in it.  Before updating, I would make a portable version of the installed version and choose the option to copy the current user configuration.  I could then update the installed version knowing that if I want to, I can uninstall it and create an installed version using the portable version of the unupdated version. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 1:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] Question about updating from NVDA 2021.2 to 2021.3 with Windows 10 21H2

Hi.  I've got a couple of concerns about installing the update to NVDA 2021.3 when it's released because I've just installed the update to Windows 10, 21H2.  Has NVDA had the same problem that JAWS has with regard to doing overinstalls or repairs in conflict with the recent update to Windows 10, 21H2?  If I'm not mistaken, updating from NVDA 2021.2 to 2021.3 would be considered an overinstall.  I don't usually install NVDA updates as a portable copy, but install them over the previous version, unless something goes off, at which point I'll do a clean install using the most recent executable.  I know there was a message on the Windows list about the conflict between JAWS and the Windows 10, 21H2 update that Microsoft is aware of.  If NVDA users haven't had a problem, is there a chance that Microsoft will fix the problem before the stable version of NVDA 2021.3 is released?

Thanks,

Louise

Chris

Its a jaws issue as far as I know

I have installed the last two nvda beta with no issues

Sent: 18 November 2021 19:49
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Question about updating from NVDA 2021.2 to 2021.3 with Windows 10 21H2

Thanks,

Louise

Quentin Christensen

I'm not aware of any issue with updating programs (I am still on 21H1, Build 19043.1348, so can't comment first hand).  Can you point me to a post or page with more info on the problem please?

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 7:54 AM Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Its a jaws issue as far as I know

I have installed the last two nvda beta with no issues

Sent: 18 November 2021 19:49
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Thanks,

Louise

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hmmph.

Well I did an update to supernova with current november update and there wasn't an issue.

Now win10 21h2 has gone well the enablement package its still using most of the same things.

I am unsure, however its been given to microsoft to fix.

There may be a c release this month maybe with the fix or an out of band.

We will recieve though 1 more update before christmas so microsoft says and I am sure they will have this fixed by then.

Its obviously not as urgent as we are lead to beleave because microsoft hasn't recorded the issue and there are no releases yet but even when I test dolphin stuff not everything is loaded on the board for testing or fixing but the issues are noted and fixed so who knows.

Just because an issue is not recorded doesn't mean its not going to get fixed.

And unlike jaws nvda doesn't rely on to many services to keep itself running.

On 19/11/2021 8:49 am, Louise Pfau wrote:

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  There was a post on the Windows Access with screen readers list that looked like it came from another list detailing the problem with JAWS.  I didn't want to cross-post it so I figured I'd just ask a direct question.

Thanks,

Louise

Quentin Christensen

I just got to installing the 21h2 update, so I'm now running Windows 10 (64-bit) Version: 2009, Build: 19044.

With this thread in mind, the first thing I did was manually download a fairly recent (but not newest) alpha snapshot, and installed it over the top of my copy of NVDA.  That worked fine.  I then checked for updates and let it update to the latest alpha snapshot.  Again, no issues.

Based on my thorough minute and a half of testing that, I believe the update from NVDA 2021.2 to NVDA 2021.3 should work just fine on Windows 21H2 when NVDA 2021.3 comes out - unless anyone can point me to anything else to test or which indicates it might not work?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 5:41 AM Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> wrote:
Hi.  There was a post on the Windows Access with screen readers list that looked like it came from another list detailing the problem with JAWS.  I didn't want to cross-post it so I figured I'd just ask a direct question.

Thanks,

Louise

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager