Question about using the elements list on a page with a large quantity of information

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I was trying to browse through the list of authors under W on Project Gutenburg using the NVDA 2020.4 elements list, and it didn’t announce that it was open.  I don’t know if this is because it was trying to process a large quantity of information.  This might happen on other websites, so the subject line wasn’t specific to 1 website.  I googled Project Gutenburg, since the shortcut I had in my favourites was out-of-date.  Has anyone else come across something like this with other sites?

Thanks,

Louise

Crayton Benner <craybay3198@...>

No. Not in particular.

On Jun 20, 2021, at 18:19, Louise Pfau <lpfau@...> wrote:

Hi.  I was trying to browse through the list of authors under W on Project Gutenburg using the NVDA 2020.4 elements list, and it didn’t announce that it was open.  I don’t know if this is because it was trying to process a large quantity of information.  This might happen on other websites, so the subject line wasn’t specific to 1 website.  I googled Project Gutenburg, since the shortcut I had in my favourites was out-of-date.  Has anyone else come across something like this with other sites?

Thanks,

Louise

Giles Turnbull

Hi Louise,

yes, I have seen this sort of behaviour. One of the websites that has links to audio-described movies, https://jeff.tdrealms.com/Described_Movies.md has 4412 links. If you use NVDA+F7 to open up the list of links, it remains quiet on my fairly-quick laptop for about 10 seconds while it generates the list.

There are, on average, around 150 movies beginning with each letter of the alphabet, hence the large number of items.

I am only giving the web address, given the backlash when I didn't include it regarding my Sainsbury's website post earlier, so that others can check it out if it needs verifying. I am not expressing an opinion on whether audio-described movies should be downloaded. And, as with most things, other audio-described movie websites are available ;)

I'm using NVDA 2020.4 on Windows 10, and using Firefox 89.0.1.

Giles

And I just tested out the page Giles offered (for which I thank you) on my machine, an HP Envy 15 TS laptop with an i7-4700MQ processor, 16GB RAM, and an SSD, and it took NVDA about 8 seconds to present the Elements List for that page.  That's a definitely noticeable pause between hitting INS+F7 and the resulting dialog being presented.

So, it does appear that it takes a few seconds for NVDA to do the work of constructing the elements list on pages that have far higher than typical numbers of elements on them.  And I imagine the length of time will be at least somewhat dependent on the processing power of your machine and the amount of RAM you have more so than the drive type, though even that has the potential to factor in.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

which adds support to my opinion that it is at times, perhaps more than realized, better to use find or to move by heading or other ways directly on the web page.  It is now being demonstrated that the move by dialog is inefficient under certain conditions.  It raises the question of whether it is inefficient on smaller pages on less powerful machines.

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about using the elements list on a page with a large quantity of information

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 10:58 AM, Gene wrote:
which adds support to my opinion that it is at times, perhaps more than realized, better to use find or to move by heading or other ways directly on the web page.
-
Gene, I really have no idea why it obsesses you so how any given individual user attempts to navigate a page.

Some people, and many of whom are likely to have been JAWS users, simply like the elements dialog which is as close as you get to the links dialog under JAWS.

Any page that has 4400-plus links is not going to be easily navigated, period.  Most web designers would never even begin to think of putting that many links on a single page.  This particular page was not designed either for beauty or efficiency, but is just a massive list of links arranged in very large chunks, alphabetically, depending on what the title of the movie happens to be.

You know how much I happen to like screen reader find and the use of the various quick navigation options, but others simply don't.  There is no right or wrong way here, simply the one that one prefers.  And if you're aware that you're going to have to wait for some seconds on pages with way, way, way more links than is typical for NVDA to build the elements list, and make that choice, there's nothing wrong with that choice.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

It doesn’t obsess me.  You are running a powerful computer and it took a long time.  I’m raising the question of whether people running far less powerful machines have delays when opening the dialog.

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 10:15 AM

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:27 AM, Gene wrote:
I’m raising the question of whether people running far less powerful machines have delays when opening the dialog.
-
Answered, don'tcha think?   Less powerful machines are not likely to perform better overall, are they?  This is not even something that I'd believe any computer user of more than a few months experience would doubt.  Some things really do go without saying.

Essentially, the original questioner's query has been answered and each person can make their own choice in light of the information shared.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I'm in total agreement with you here. What if a person is on an unfamiliar page and he or she doesn't know what to look for? If I know what I'm looking for, then I'll use the find command but that doesn't always work. For instance, when I go to the Heart of the Nation site to hear the Catholic Mass online, I use the elements list with insert f-7 and hit S to find Sunday Mass. I don't know why this person is so obsessed with the find command. Like the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I won't say anything more.

Rosemarie

On 6/21/2021 8:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

I am not writing to get into a debate with you about this but I will say, in order that what I'm saying be accurately understood that I did not limit myself to discussing the find command.  In my first message, I specifically discussed moving in other ways such as move by heading or by heading level.  I am not obsessed with the find command.

[...]

Luke Davis

Would it be helpful to have NVDA say "building elements list", or the progress beeps, or similar while this is happening?

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

Actually I believe it does and se’ve surmised it does even on more powerful machines for what ever reason, maybe it’s trying to build a DB of the page, I dunno.

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 10:15 AM

[...]

Actually, yes you are, that seems to be your normal answer for everything web based,  and we’re hear to tell you that this is not the case 99 percent of the time.

[...]

No, maybe not. Well yes, but maybe "loading elements, please wait" or
something. Thoughts?