Question on switching language

Chrissie

Hi Folks.

Is there any way, assuming you have the correct language voice available,
for NVDA to automatically switch languages if it finds another language on a
page of text?

Chrissie

Jackie

Chrissie, this is under Preferences > settings > speech. Ensure the
following options are checked.
automatic language switching
automatic dialect switching
Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols

On 8/3/22, Chrissie <chrissie@...> wrote:
Hi Folks.

Is there any way, assuming you have the correct language voice available,
for NVDA to automatically switch languages if it finds another language on
page of text?

Chrissie

Yes.

NVDA + N, P, S [NVDA Main Menu, Preferences, Settings]
In the Speech options (which are the ones which should open first by default) make sure the checkbox for Automatic Language Switching (where supported) is checked.

Note the "(where supported)" proviso.  Depending on what's being read and in what program it may or may not be supported.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

Those settings only do anything if the page uses HTML like an internet page and if the language attribute changes when the language changes.  the changes have to be made by whoever is designing the page.

I don't know if any screen-readers or synthesizers use AI to try to detect and change language based on what is written on the screen.

Gene

On 8/3/2022 5:00 PM, Jackie wrote:
Chrissie, this is under Preferences > settings > speech. Ensure the
following options are checked.
automatic language switching
automatic dialect switching
Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols

On 8/3/22, Chrissie <chrissie@...> wrote:
Hi Folks.

Is there any way, assuming you have the correct language voice available,
for NVDA to automatically switch languages if it finds another language on
page of text?

Chrissie

Chrissie

Thanks very much indeed.

Chrissie

Chrissie cochrane
Executive Director
The Global Voice
Radio for All
http://theglobalvoice.info
Twitter @chrissie_artist
Kindness is a powerful force: use it generously! especially on yourself.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 06:18 PM, Gene wrote:
Those settings only do anything if the page uses HTML like an internet page and if the language attribute changes when the language changes.  the changes have to be made by whoever is designing the page.
-
Not quite.  As I reported just the other day when a question came up about the availability of Japanese OneCore Voices, I had NVDA switch from English to Japanese in MS-Word where all I had done was type the first sentence in English and then pasted in the second someone else had written in Japanese.

I don't know what it was that triggered the automatic language change, possibly the recognition of the character set change, but I did not use any language attributes when constructing the document.

If someone wants to ensure language switching then they should make certain to set the language attribute appropriately, though.  Leaving it up to chance is not the way to go.

         ~ Vance Packard

Rui Fontes

By now, the only method almost 100% sure is based in the character set used...

But, even this method have serious problems...

How to differenciate between portuguese and english if both use the same character set?

And the same for japanese and chinese, russian and polish and so on?

Linguistic analysis can be usefull, but it is needed, at least, 4 or 5 words to determine, with some degree of confidence, which language is used...

Remember that in almost two languages of the same character set is easy to find equal words, not always with the same meaning, but wroten exactly the same way...

One example in english and portuguese is the word "use"...

I have already tried to set a system to determine the language used, but it is impossible without, at least, 4 or 5 words...

Rui Fontes

Às 23:18 de 03/08/2022, Gene escreveu:

[...]

Cyrille

Hello

If you enable automatic language switching the language information stored in the document will be passed to the synthesizer. And if the synthesizer supports language switching, it will use this new language.

But in any case, NVDA does not perform any language detection natively, e.g. according to character set. It just uses the language provided by the document. In the case of a webpage, the language is coded in the HTML file and thus it is the responsibility of the webpage's author to tag the content correctly. In the case of a Word document, Word has an option, enabled by default, which performs automatic detection of the language when you type a sentence. You can test it by typing sentences of various languages, and then turn back with the caret in each sentence. You can know the language recognized by Word where the caret stands by reading the status bar. If Word does not recognize correctly the language for a sentence or if you want a specific word to be spoken in another language, you can also select the sentence or word and tell Word the language of the selection.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Maybe some extensions can

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 12:31 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Additional information:
Probably some extension can provide a language information to NVDA based on the used character set, e.g. provide Russian for cyrillic characters, Japanese for CJK ideographic characters, Persian for Arabic characters, etc.

I think Tony's enhancements does, but you need to configure yourself the association between the character set and the associated language.

Cyrille