Question regarding a command prompt for the restarting of a computer:

Angel

I should like to say:  Those on the list, are so helpful, and so kind, You each are much appreciated.  A few weeks ago:  I read and used the marvelous advice given by a list member, regarding the procedure for putting a command prompt for the immediate shutdown of my computer.  Which I put on my desk top.  I liked it so well”  Now, I should like to put a prompt command for the restarting of my computer on my desk top as well.  I? should appreciate it if the instructions for doing this would be detailed, as I am not very computer literate.

Avast logo

Quentin Christensen

I wasn't paying attention a few weeks ago, but I just looked it up and found:

From an open command prompt window:
type shutdown, followed by the option you wish to execute.
To shut down your computer, type shutdown /s.
To restart your computer, type shutdown /r.
To log off your computer type shutdown /l.
For a complete list of options type shutdown /?
After typing your chosen option, press Enter.

So you could copy your existing shortcut, and just change the /s for shutdown to /r for restart.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 3:53 PM Angel <angel238@...> wrote:

I should like to say:  Those on the list, are so helpful, and so kind, You each are much appreciated.  A few weeks ago:  I read and used the marvelous advice given by a list member, regarding the procedure for putting a command prompt for the immediate shutdown of my computer.  Which I put on my desk top.  I liked it so well”  Now, I should like to put a prompt command for the restarting of my computer on my desk top as well.  I? should appreciate it if the instructions for doing this would be detailed, as I am not very computer literate.

Avast logo

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Joseph Norton

Hi:

Here’s a slightly more dangerous one.

If you want to make sure your system shuts down or restarts, you can add a /t followed by the number of seconds to wait for shutdown or restart.

For example:

Shutdown /r /t 1

Would restart the computer, warning of a shutdown in 1 second.  Be aware, though, this forces a shutdown or restart, closing any open program, regardless of whether you have saved your information or not.  Use this one with care.  If you are working on something important and use this added option, you may loose what you’re working on unless it gets auto-saved.  You’d still loose anything done after the save.

Sent from Mail for Windows