Topics

Reader mode in Chrome?

i did not understand how can i save web page in html only when using
reader mode.
i selected
Save Page As… Ctrl+S
as its shortcut ControlS, both method dont work and have the same
effect, just a blank page!

On 1/26/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:
In reader mode in firefox if you try to save the page it will turn out to be
blank.

Instead try being on the page of interest, hit file menu and save page as
and choose second option as the file format. This when loaded will retain
all usable parts of the webpage.

On 24/01/2020 02:07, zahra wrote:

how about firefox?
i wish to save my pages as html only in reader mode.

On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
wrote:

Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click on page
and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Oriana

What is the page being referred to? it could be that the site has some kind of JavaScript interfering with the save protocol. Can your offline reading program read text from PDFs, because if so some kind of print-to-pdf function might be a useful workaround for this site specifically.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020, 9:37 PM zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
i did not understand how can i save web page in html only when using
reader mode.
i selected
Save Page As…   Ctrl+S
as its shortcut ControlS, both method dont work and have the same
effect, just a blank page!

On 1/26/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:
> In reader mode in firefox if you try to save the page it will turn out to be
> blank.
>

> Instead try being on the page of interest, hit file menu and save page as
> and choose second option as the file format.  This when loaded will retain
> all usable parts of the webpage.
>
> On 24/01/2020 02:07, zahra wrote:
>
> how about firefox?
> i wish to save my pages as html only in reader mode.
>
> On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
> wrote:
>

> Try just read or mercury reader.  Just reader when you right click on page
> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

i disable javascript most of the times in my firefox.
also, i could not open and read any pdf files with javascript disabled.

wrote:

[...]

That seems odd. Is your Firefox up to date? Also, what website are you having difficulty saving?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

You can't save the page in reader mode.  But if you save the page using single page, you may be able to open the saved page in your browser and read it in reader mode.  I haven't tried it but it probably will work.

What is the page being referred to? it could be that the site has some kind of JavaScript interfering with the save protocol. Can your offline reading program read text from PDFs, because if so some kind of print-to-pdf function might be a useful workaround for this site specifically.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020, 9:37 PM zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
i did not understand how can i save web page in html only when using
reader mode.
i selected
Save Page As…   Ctrl+S
as its shortcut ControlS, both method dont work and have the same
effect, just a blank page!

On 1/26/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...> wrote:
> In reader mode in firefox if you try to save the page it will turn out to be
> blank.
>

> Instead try being on the page of interest, hit file menu and save page as
> and choose second option as the file format.  This when loaded will retain
> all usable parts of the webpage.
>
> On 24/01/2020 02:07, zahra wrote:
>
> how about firefox?
> i wish to save my pages as html only in reader mode.
>
> On 1/24/20, ADRIAN POCOCK <ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
> wrote:
>

> Try just read or mercury reader.  Just reader when you right click on page
> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

i never use up to date version of firefox.
50 or 51 are enough for me forever.
i am sure about my decision.
i have problem using all web pages in html format in reader mode.

wrote:

[...]

single web page produces numerous files, but i only need the text of
web pages, not images and scripts for example.
i reported this issue to mozilla,
and i realized it reported previously too.

<ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
> wrote:
>

> Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click on
page
> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Oriana

The only single-file html I know i of is the .mhtml filetype, and it does sometimes create a folder of images that you can subsequently delete. However, if the issue you mentioned is breaking your ability to use the tool, and Mozilla changes how it handles files... well, its not like it will ever be rolled out to previous versions of Firefox. You might just have to find another option. If you can get Firefox updated at least to version 57, you might try the Browsh addon/browser, which apparently allows Firefox to serve as the backend of an entirely text-based browser (https://www.brow.sh/).

incidentally, since you haven't updated your browser for that long you may want to basically assume that it has been hacked, and that all data and web traffic through your PC is being monitored. A good web browser is like the skin of your computer - really good at preventing infections, but only if it remains unbroken. Firewall is the protective gear you wear like gloves and masks, and antivirus software is like your immune system. You can even use a rescue disc as if it were antibiotics for a severe infection... but viruses and hacks both are constantly evolving ways to penetrate and survive past these defenses.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

but i wish to use the version that has most of features that i need.
firefox 50 has the shortcut for reader mode which was not present in
its previous versions.
firefox since 45 has container which i can use my gmail accounts at
the same time which is very important for me and these features were
one of my dreams and i thanks God and thank firefox developers that
provided for me my dreams!
i am very glad that newer versions that dont support my windows and my
hardware, dont have any essential and important feature that i cant
without them!

<ampbeast@...><mailto:ampbeast@...>
> wrote:
>

> Try just read or mercury reader. Just reader when you right click
on
page
> and save as it allows single html which is read by nvda.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Gene

There is a web page complete option which is the default.  That saves many files in a folder.  There is an option, web page html only, which saves one page, just the page you are reading and no other files such as image files.  If you want to try saving a page using that option, you can open it in the browser and see if you can use Reader Mode.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Luke Robinett

I installed a Chrome plugin that was called Reader View I believe. this was on my previous desktop so I don’t recall the details but I do recall it being accessible. When in doubt, why not just install a plugin and give it a shot? Its free and can always be removed if it doesn’t work out.