Topics

reading an article.

CJ

Hello,

I have updated my machine to  the latest NVDA version and have found that if I go onto say The Guardian site and start to read an article I seem to be able to read only one paragraph from  the article before insert and down arrow stop and I have to either down arrow or use insert and down arrow to get to the next paragraph of the article. Prior to updating things worked just fine so has something changed with the latest update or is it a case of a setting having altered and if so how do I get to read an entire article without it stopping at  each new paragraph.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and it is quite likely I have missed something simple. Any suggestions will be most welcomed.

My regards, CJ.

benmoxey@...

Hi CJ

You may have your keyboard set to Laptop mode. Insert + Down Arrow only reads to the end in Desktop mode.

Press NVDA + Control + K to load the keyboard settings and ensure it’s set to “Desktop” if this is the problem.

All the best.

Ben

Dan Beaver

Sorry, I haven't followed this entire thread but there is a way to start from a given point and read to the end using a laptop keyboard layout.  Just focus on where you want to start and then do a NVDA+A.

I hope this is what you needed.

Dan Beaver

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

CJ

Hi,

thank you for your suggestions. I will give this a go. My thanks for your time.

My regards, CJ.

On 03/08/2020 13:57, Dan Beaver wrote:

Sorry, I haven't followed this entire thread but there is a way to start from a given point and read to the end using a laptop keyboard layout.  Just focus on where you want to start and then do a NVDA+A.

I hope this is what you needed.

Dan Beaver

On 8/3/2020 4:20 AM, benmoxey@... wrote:

Hi CJ

You may have your keyboard set to Laptop mode. Insert + Down Arrow only reads to the end in Desktop mode.

Press NVDA + Control + K to load the keyboard settings and ensure it’s set to “Desktop” if this is the problem.

All the best.

Ben

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

And for anyone who might find themselves in the situation where they are having to use the keyboard layout to which they are not accustomed, and you need to find the NVDA shortcut for anything, NVDA+N,H,Q, will bring up the Commands Quick Reference in your default web browser so you can look it up.

I can't say how many times I've used this to look up something I very seldom use, or when faced with laptop keyboard layout since I'm a desktop layout user by default.

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

    ~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story