Reading just text in red

Fernando Henrique Botelho

Dear all,

Does NVDA offer a way to read only the text which is shown in red, or only the text which is shown in a color other than the predominant color in a given e-mail message or Word/Excel document?

I sometimes get e-mail messages where someone has made comments in a color which is different from that of the text being commented. I am hoping there is a quick way to tell NVDA to just read that portion of the document.

Thanks,

Fernando

Quentin Christensen

Are they using a different colour, or are they using track changes?  In Word, there is a feature called track changes.  So, if you send me a document, I can turn on track changes, then read it and delete and insert text and make changes I want, then send it back to you.  The inserted text appears as red and with an underline.  Deleted text is red with strikethrough.  If that's what they've used, press alt+r, h, 1 to jump to the next change or alt+r, f to jump to the previous change.

In Word, you can also do a search (use CONTROL+H rather than CONTROL+F) and under "more" (ALT+M), go to "Format" (ALT+O) then select the appropriate format type (Font in this case) and settings (colour).

Once you search, you can then use CONTROL+PAGE UP and CONTROL+PAGE DOWN to move between instances of the specified formatting.  Note that track changes doesn't appear as a change in formatting, so you can't use this method for that.  But it works great if they have actually changed the font colour.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Tony Malykh

Not quite what you're looking for, but in my BrowserNav add-on, I have a keystroke "Jump to next format change" assigned to tilde key by default (`). You can use it to find the next word written in a different color, but then you'd have to still manually check the color for example with NVDA+F keystroke.

HTH

--Tony

On 4/16/2021 1:36 PM, Fernando Henrique Botelho wrote:

Dear all,

Does NVDA offer a way to read only the text which is shown in red, or only the text which is shown in a color other than the predominant color in a given e-mail message or Word/Excel document?

I sometimes get e-mail messages where someone has made comments in a color which is different from that of the text being commented. I am hoping there is a quick way to tell NVDA to just read that portion of the document.

Thanks,

Fernando

If, by chance, the changes are not being made in conjunction with the track changes feature, at least in word you can use the advanced find option [ALT+H,FD,A], format button, font option, to find something that is a specific color.  You need put nothing in the find string, but need to set the color you're looking for.   If you don't set the specific font or any of the other attributes than color, it's only searching for any text in any font in any size that is the color specified.

If you want to get heavy-duty into advanced find in the Office Suite programs I'd suggest heading over to the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group and going crazy with questions there.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Fernando Henrique Botelho

Thank you very much. It is good to know of this way to do searches in Word, in addition to the usual track changes.

The problem is that the comments in red were sent on an e-mail in Outlook. I will check and see if Outlook has a search option such as the one you describe in Word.

Thanks again,

Fernando

[...]

This would be perfect, except that I would need it on a normal application, rather than on the browser.

Thanks though, it is good to know of this add-on.

Best,

Fernando

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 05:58 PM, Fernando Henrique Botelho wrote:
The problem is that the comments in red were sent on an e-mail in Outlook.
-
Which means that they are most likely in HTML, which means that the Add-On mentioned by Tony is likely applicable.

However, you're still going to have an issue with *only* what's in red (or whatever color) being spoken.  The searches I've tried will land you at the start of that text, but I don't know that the screen reader will read only what's highlighted as part of the find.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Tony Malykh

It would work in any browse mode, not only in browser. In particular, it should work in MS Word. Not sure about Excel though, I am not familiar with how NVDA interacts with it. You also mentioned email messages - it should work in both Outlook and Thunderbird - and any other email client as long as they present email in HTML format.

On 4/26/2021 3:05 PM, Fernando Henrique Botelho wrote:

[...]

Fantastic! Thank you very much. I will give it a try.

Best,

Fernando