reading mail in outlook 365

I decided to try my hand with Outlook 365. I liked it, overall. However, emails with NVDA and Outlook 365 didn't read as well as they do with Thunderbird and NVDA. For example, it appears that using arrow keys in some emails in Outlook 365 is not a great solution. All you see is blank lines and graphics, whereas you see links and a fairly compact view in Thunderbird. The tab key doesn't change this in any way, shape or form.

Has anyone else seen this, and if you have, does anyone have a solution? For me, using Outlook 365 won't work unless I can get around these issues. I'm using the latest version of NVDA alpha. Any help with this one is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Quentin Christensen

Since this is the second email in a row to ask a similar question, I'm curious, why do people read pieces of text that may be long, using the arrow keys rather than Say All (NVDA+down arrow or NVDA+a depending on your setup)?

Note that I'm not saying you SHOULD do it one way or the other, just wanting a better understanding of why people do things the way they do.  For me, I use Say All with a finger ready on SHIFT to pause speech as needed.

You can force Outlook to open emails as plain text rather than HTML (File menu, options, Trust centre, Email security, read all standard email in plain text), however, that displays links to external images as links and reads out the full link of each, rather than the HTML view which simply denotes "graphic".

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Quentin,

I prefer to use the say-all method because it's quite tedious to be hitting down-arrow all the time.

Rosemarie

[...]

Annette Moore

Reading line by line is just a personal preference for me. It's what I've always done, and I feel I take in and retain information better if it's not all coming at me at once. with that said, though, if I'm in a particular hurry, I will read with say-all. Sure, I know I could just hit the control key and shut it up and go back if I need to, but reading line by line is just always for the most part what I've done.

Annette

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'll chip in here, in my case its because I need a part of the text for a script for our talking newspaper. The only other way to achieve the end result with outlook is to grab it all paste it into an editor then select it from there. If other readers allow the thing to be done, and lets face it outlook express does, then why not outlook?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 7:44 AM, Governor staten <govsta@gmail.com> wrote:

I decided to try my hand with Outlook 365. I liked it, overall. However,
emails with NVDA and Outlook 365 didn't read as well as they do with
Thunderbird and NVDA. For example, it appears that using arrow keys in some
emails in Outlook 365 is not a great solution. All you see is blank lines
and graphics, whereas you see links and a fairly compact view in
Thunderbird. The tab key doesn't change this in any way, shape or form.

Has anyone else seen this, and if you have, does anyone have a solution?
For me, using Outlook 365 won't work unless I can get around these issues.
I'm using the latest version of NVDA alpha. Any help with this one is much
appreciated, and thanks in advance.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Could someone perhaps forward me one of these emails that's so problematic, please?  Certainly regular emails like the posts to the list come through just fine for me in Outlook 365 and I can read with down arrow with no more blank lines than the email actually has, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I'll chip in here, in my case its because I need a part of the text for a script for our talking newspaper. The only other way to achieve the end result with outlook is to grab it all paste it into an editor then select it from there. If other readers allow the thing to be done, and lets face it outlook express does, then why not outlook?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen" <quentin@...>
[...]

Gene

I've seen this happen in many cases when reading mail as plain text.  Reading as HTML avoids the problem.  I don't know the technical reasons.  It may be a little safer to read mail as plain text.

[...]

I"m pretty sure that Outlook 365 was set up to read emails in html. I'd have to look, though.

On 8/29/2018 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

You mean that that is the default?  It may be in that program but it isn't in the e-mail programs I've used or tried.

Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 8:57 AM

On 8/29/2018 7:34 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Ervin, Glenn

I like to read by paragraph, with my thumb on the right control key and down arrowing.

Glenn

[...]

Jonathan COHN

Hello,

Personally I prefer reading by paragraph when reading messages and websites. This way I expect to get one contiguous block of information without stops for links or random line endings. But still allowing me to mull over one chunk of information at a time. It also allows me in newspapers and other well blocked pieces of information to easily skip a paragraph of little interest without finding my place on the keyboard because my fingers are already posed on the paragraph next keys. This also explains why I love the “P” key in JAWS virtual cursor as it provides a single key to navigate by paragraph rather than the Windows standard control downarrow.

Thinking about this a little, do synthesizers’ provide the ability to adjust pauses between words, sentences and paragraphs? Some claim they can hear the Alex synthesizer on Apple products taking a breath, I am not sure that sound is required but certainly when given ¼ of a second or so to separate thoughts helps my understanding.

Take care,

Jonathan Cohn

From: Annette Moore <angelgirl52376@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

[...]

Glenn, I like your suggestion. Well, you weren't suggesting it, but that works very well anyway! gonna do that more often--read by paragraph. I just never think to do that

Annette

On 8/29/2018 9:29 AM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

[...]

Don Robinson

Read all works automatically as expected in eM Client and Thunderbird but I have to use NVDA Key + down arrow or restart NVDA to get it to work in Outlook 365. Am I missing something?