reading pdf files

UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu

Hello friends,
Today I tried to read an pdf file line by line. However it reads character by character or or word by word in parts of the file. It happened to me before but today I wanted to get advise about it. I don't think problem doesn't occur in a braile display. I don't know why does it happen or how to solve it.
Best regards

Luke Davis

What program were you using to read the file?
Acrobat reader, Edge, some browser plugin, what?

Where did the PDF come from, and is it public so we can review it? If so, where in the PDF does this start to happen?

It's probably some encoding problem with the PDF--I find that very technical user manuals (I'm looking at you, Furman) often have similar very short line problems.

Luke
UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu wrote:

Today I tried to read an pdf file line by line. However it reads character by character or or word by word in parts of the file. It happened to me before
but today I wanted to get advise about it. I don't think problem doesn't occur in a braile display. I don't know why does it happen or how to solve it.

i confirm this.
i observed this firefox, did not test with other programs.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

This is another query where way more information is needed before any potential assistant could try to replicate and comment:
1. Reading program being used.
2. PDF file itself, if accessible/downloadable to the general public
are the two items that are absolutely essential.

As Luke Davis has observed, you (any you) really need to try reading the PDF in question using another reading program, preferably two additional reading programs, just to determine whether the behavior is consistent across all reading programs you try.  If it is, the probability is that there is an issue with the PDF itself.

NVDA really has little to do, directly, with the "mechanics" of a PDF file.  Its encoding is outside the scope of NVDA and the screen reader justs requests that the given file be read and takes what the PDF reading program hands to it.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

You are absolutely right Brian, this likely has more to do with the
document in question than with NVDA. I've had this happen as well with
Acrobat Reader. As I don't deal with PDF files all that often, I can't
think of when it happened last time, but I'm pretty sure I have some
files on my computer where this happens.

This is another query where way more information is needed before any
potential assistant could try to replicate and comment:
1. Reading program being used.
2. PDF file itself, if accessible/downloadable to the general public
are the two items that are absolutely essential.

As Luke Davis has observed, you (any you) really need to try reading the PDF
in question using another reading program, preferably two additional reading
programs, just to determine whether the behavior is consistent across all
reading programs you try.  If it is, the probability is that there is an
issue with the PDF itself.

NVDA really has little to do, directly, with the "mechanics" of a PDF file.
Its encoding is outside the scope of NVDA and the screen reader justs
requests that the given file be read and takes what the PDF reading program
hands to it.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

Timothy VD Berg

Hi
Would it maybe a scaned document?