reading status bar with nvda

mukesh jain

hello,
i would like to know that what is the keystroke to read the status bar
with nvda? for instance, when my focus is in the list view, whenever i
try to read status bar i press the keystroke insert+shift+end key as i
am using the laptop with window 10 nvda 2021. but pressing this
keystroke, nvda announces, no status line found. i had the same
difficulty with earlier versions of nvda. but i am able to read the
status bar with jaws by pressing insert+page down. so what could be
the reason for it?
looking forward for your valluable inputs.
thanks,
Mukesh

The keyboard shortcut for reading the status bar is:

Desktop Keyboard Layout:   NVDA + End

Laptop Keyboard Layout:  NVDA + Shift + End

It is unclear to me whether you are actually using laptop keyboard layout or just using a laptop.  If the latter, and it has a number pad as part of its keyboard, NVDA could be set to be using desktop keyboard layout.  Take a look at NVDA settings, specifically NVDA + N, P, S, then the keyboard pane to see how things are set up.  I use desktop keyboard layout on all my laptops because they have full-sized keyboards with number pads.

      ~ Brian Vogel

mukesh jain

hello,
i am using laptop with external full size keyboard attached with it. i
have tried set up keyboard layout to desktop in NVDA setting and then
tried to use NVDA (INSERT KEY)+SHIFT+END KEY as suggested but still
NVDA announces no status line found.
thanks,
Mukesh

The keyboard shortcut for reading the status bar is:

Desktop Keyboard Layout:   NVDA + End

Laptop Keyboard Layout:  NVDA + Shift + End

It is unclear to me whether you are actually using laptop keyboard layout or
just using a laptop.  If the latter, and it has a number pad as part of its
keyboard, NVDA could be set to be using desktop keyboard layout.  Take a
look at NVDA settings, specifically NVDA + N, P, S, then the keyboard pane
to see how things are set up.  I use desktop keyboard layout on all my
laptops because they have full-sized keyboards with number pads.

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.
The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression,
which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the
clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

More information is needed:
1. Windows version
2. The program(s) you are using when you are attempting to read the status bar (and specific versions given for each).

      ~ Brian Vogel

Chris Mullins

Edited

Hi

Do you have the Add status bar reading add-on authored by Rui Fontes?  It enables the status bar in File Explorer but I don’t know if it has been checked for use with 2021.1 of NVDA.

Cheers

Chris

mukesh jain

hello,
no i don't have that addon. could you please guide me the source from
where i can get this addon Add status bar reading Authored by Rui
Fontes?
thanks,
Mukesh

On 7/16/21, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@gmail.com> wrote:
                Sorry I forgot to say this is a NVDA add-on.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

i would like to know that what is the keystroke to read the status bar

with nvda? for instance, when my focus is in the list view, whenever i

try to read status bar i press the keystroke insert+shift+end key as i

am using the laptop with window 10 nvda 2021. but pressing this

keystroke, nvda announces, no status line found. i had the same

difficulty with earlier versions of nvda. but i am able to read the

status bar with jaws by pressing insert+page down. so what could be

the reason for it?

looking forward for your valluable inputs.

thanks,

Mukesh

mukesh jain

hello,
I am using NVDA 2021.1.1 on the machine which has window 10 home
single language operating system Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1110
I am trying to read the status bar in file explorer however, it does
read the status bar desirably in the program Microsoft word 2007.
thanks,
Mukesh

On 7/16/21, mukesh jain via groups.io
<mukeshfromkorba=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

This addon will read the status bar on File explorer but I can’t find it on the NVDA addons page, so it maybe available from Rui Fontes site.  He is the guy that does the Tiflotechnia Eloquence software , so you should be able to find the details to contact him.

<mukeshfromkorba@...> wrote:

> hello,

> no i don't have that addon. could you please guide me the source from

> where i can get this addon Add status bar reading Authored by Rui

> Fontes?

> thanks,

> Mukesh

> On 7/16/21, Chris Mullins <cjmullins29@...> wrote:

>>                 Sorry I forgot to say this is a NVDA add-on.

>> Cheers

>> Chris

>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rui has posted about this add-on before, and gave the download link here: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/77303

The version that downloads from the link in the above noted message is compatible only through NVDA 2020.4.  I do not recall whether he has mentioned an intent to update for NVDA 2021.1 or not. There's a lot of water flowing under the various 2021.1 bridges these days.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Lacking an update to an NVDA add-on or any such future add-ons, there is a simple way to read the status bar in Windows Explorer/My Computer/This PC.

1.  Make sure you are in screen review mode (insert + numpad 7 desktop keyboard)
2.  Press shift + keypad 9 to read the very bottom line of the screen. You should hear something like:
1416 items 1 selected.

--
Signature:

Sarah k Alawami

I just object nav to the status bar, I think I do anyway? I'm half asleep here. I hardly touch it as for me it's not really necessary.

On 16 Jul 2021, at 21:26, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

yes, this method works. thanks,
Mukesh

On 7/17/21, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:
[...]

For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct
them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to
cling to its past achievements is no virtue!