recent problems using NVDA to read google docs/sheets?

Sally Kiebdaj

Hello, 

I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc or sheet content and I was able to read.

Has anyone experienced new problems reading the contents of google docs or sheets in the last 10 days? 

Does anyone know about recent G Suite updates that might be causing this? 

If not, are there known NVDA settings problems that might be causing this?

I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting this so would welcome all suggestions!

Thanks,
Sally 

Nimer Jaber

Hello Sally,

Which browser are you using where this difficulty occurs? Which version of NVDA?

Next time you open a doc, after the doc has loaded, and you can't seem to access it, try pressing esc and let us know what happens.

Thanks.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:30 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
Hello, 

I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc or sheet content and I was able to read.

Has anyone experienced new problems reading the contents of google docs or sheets in the last 10 days? 

I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting this so would welcome all suggestions!

Thanks,
Sally 

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Sally Kiebdaj

Hi there,

I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.

Pressing escape doesn't help, sorry I didn't mention I had already tried that. 

NVDA announces "application, group" which I don't remember it doing before. However, the focus, according to my sighted partner, is in the spreadsheet cells like usual. 

Has anyone else been seeing something like this?

Thanks!
Sally 

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Hello Sally,

Which browser are you using where this difficulty occurs? Which version of NVDA?

Next time you open a doc, after the doc has loaded, and you can't seem to access it, try pressing esc and let us know what happens.

Thanks.

Hello, 

Thanks,
Sally 

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

Nimer Jaber

I can't say that I have. Does this happen with all sheets, or just a specific sheet? I'm assuming that you have accessibility mode on? Are you using Braille mode, or just screen reader mode?

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
Hi there,

I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.

NVDA announces "application, group" which I don't remember it doing before. However, the focus, according to my sighted partner, is in the spreadsheet cells like usual. 

Thanks!
Sally 

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello, 

Thanks,
Sally 

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Sally Kiebdaj

All docs and sheets regardless of owner or privileges and yes, accessibility is turned on. I am only using the screen reader, not braille.

Thanks,
Sally

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, 17:12 Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
I can't say that I have. Does this happen with all sheets, or just a specific sheet? I'm assuming that you have accessibility mode on? Are you using Braille mode, or just screen reader mode?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks!
Sally 

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello, 

Thanks,
Sally 

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

I am not sure what the issue you're experiencing is, but I highly recommend turning on Braille mode, at this point, as it will generally provide a better accessibility experience, even if you are not using a Braille display.

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:

All docs and sheets regardless of owner or privileges and yes, accessibility is turned on. I am only using the screen reader, not braille.

Thanks,
Sally

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks!
Sally 

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello, 

Thanks,
Sally 

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

mike mcglashon

Hi my friend:

Please do not think of me as ignorant, but,

What is “braille mode”,

What does it do, and,

How does one get to it?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 5:36 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] recent problems using NVDA to read google docs/sheets?

Hello,

I am not sure what the issue you're experiencing is, but I highly recommend turning on Braille mode, at this point, as it will generally provide a better accessibility experience, even if you are not using a Braille display.

Thanks.

Thanks,
Sally

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks!

Sally 

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello, 

Thanks,

Sally 

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

Sharni-Lee Ward

I don't know about anybody else, but Google Docs has not been my friend for quite some time. I can't use Say All in a Google Doc, which when my friends are sharing story drafts I want to read easily, is really frustrating. And this is with Screen-Reader mode enabled!

On 17/11/2021 1:30 am, Sally Kiebdaj wrote:
Hello, 

Thanks,
Sally 

Sally Kiebdaj

Hello,

Well, turning on Braille mode does seem to fix it. I never would have thought of that since I'm not using braille and it wasn't necessary in the past. 

This is just speculation, but do you think something changed recently in the way google docs does accessibility to necessitate braille mode with some screen readers? And are the subset of screen reader users who use google docs just more likely to be using braille anyway and not notice the change?

Thank you for pointing me to the solution!

Warmly,
Sally 

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Hello,

Thanks.

Thanks,
Sally

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks!
Sally 

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello, 

Thanks,
Sally 

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Felix G.

Hello,
when Braille mode is turned off, Google Docs will micromanage what the
screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With
Braille mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit
control, and the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to
Braille. In combination with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on
Braille mode as the experience will be more what you are used to even
when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 18. Nov. 2021 um 08:39 Uhr schrieb Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com>:

Hello,

Well, turning on Braille mode does seem to fix it. I never would have thought of that since I'm not using braille and it wasn't necessary in the past.

This is just speculation, but do you think something changed recently in the way google docs does accessibility to necessitate braille mode with some screen readers? And are the subset of screen reader users who use google docs just more likely to be using braille anyway and not notice the change?

Warmly,
Sally

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks,
Sally

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, 17:12 Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there,

I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.

Pressing escape doesn't help, sorry I didn't mention I had already tried that.

Thanks!
Sally

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:30 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc or sheet content and I was able to read.

Thanks,
Sally

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Sally Kiebdaj

Hallo, 

Thank you for the explanation. It would not have occurred to me that checking the braille box would change how the text is displayed. 

Warmly,
Sally 

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 9:23 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hello,
screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With
Braille mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit
control, and the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to
Braille. In combination with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on
Braille mode as the experience will be more what you are used to even
when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 18. Nov. 2021 um 08:39 Uhr schrieb Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...>:
>
> Hello,
>
> Well, turning on Braille mode does seem to fix it. I never would have thought of that since I'm not using braille and it wasn't necessary in the past.
>
> This is just speculation, but do you think something changed recently in the way google docs does accessibility to necessitate braille mode with some screen readers? And are the subset of screen reader users who use google docs just more likely to be using braille anyway and not notice the change?
>
> Thank you for pointing me to the solution!
>
> Warmly,
> Sally
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not sure what the issue you're experiencing is, but I highly recommend turning on Braille mode, at this point, as it will generally provide a better accessibility experience, even if you are not using a Braille display.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> All docs and sheets regardless of owner or privileges and yes, accessibility is turned on. I am only using the screen reader, not braille.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sally
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, 17:12 Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I can't say that I have. Does this happen with all sheets, or just a specific sheet? I'm assuming that you have accessibility mode on? Are you using Braille mode, or just screen reader mode?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks.
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi there,
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.
>>>>>
>>>>> Pressing escape doesn't help, sorry I didn't mention I had already tried that.
>>>>>
>>>>> NVDA announces "application, group" which I don't remember it doing before. However, the focus, according to my sighted partner, is in the spreadsheet cells like usual.
>>>>>
>>>>> Has anyone else been seeing something like this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>> Sally
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hello Sally,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Which browser are you using where this difficulty occurs? Which version of NVDA?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Next time you open a doc, after the doc has loaded, and you can't seem to access it, try pressing esc and let us know what happens.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:30 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc or sheet content and I was able to read.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Has anyone experienced new problems reading the contents of google docs or sheets in the last 10 days?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Does anyone know about recent G Suite updates that might be causing this?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> If not, are there known NVDA settings problems that might be causing this?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting this so would welcome all suggestions!
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>>> Sally
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Best,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Nimer Jaber
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Registered Linux User 529141.
>>>>>> http://counter.li.org/
>>>>>>
>>>>>> To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org
>>>>>>
>>>>>> You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thank you, and have a great day!
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Best,
>>>>
>>>> Nimer Jaber
>>>>
>>>> Registered Linux User 529141.
>>>> http://counter.li.org/
>>>>
>>>> To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org
>>>>
>>>> You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.
>>>>
>>>> Thank you, and have a great day!
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Best,
>>
>> Nimer Jaber
>>
>> Registered Linux User 529141.
>> http://counter.li.org/
>>
>> To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org
>>
>> You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.
>>
>> Thank you, and have a great day!
>
>

Sarah k Alawami

Is braille mode in google docs itself? Or is this a setting in NVDA?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 12:23 AM

Hello,
when Braille mode is turned off, Google Docs will micromanage what the screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With Braille mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit control, and the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to Braille. In combination with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on Braille mode as the experience will be more what you are used to even when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 18. Nov. 2021 um 08:39 Uhr schrieb Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com>:

Hello,

Warmly,
Sally

Hello,

Thanks.

Thanks,
Sally

Thanks.

Hi there,

I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.

Thanks!
Sally

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello,

I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc or sheet content and I was able to read.

Thanks,
Sally

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen
reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader
for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Greg Wocher

Hello,
Braille mode is in Google Docs itself. It can be found under the accessibility menu in Docs.

Greg Wocher

On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
when Braille mode is turned off, Google Docs will micromanage what the screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With Braille mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit control, and the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to Braille. In combination with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on Braille mode as the experience will be more what you are used to even when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

Hello,

Warmly,
Sally

Hello,

Thanks.

Thanks,
Sally

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks!
Sally

Hello Sally,

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks,
Sally

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Sarah k Alawami

Ah I'll take a look. I don't use google docs, but only forms and sheets.

Happy Thursday.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Greg Wocher
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2021 10:10 AM

Hello,
Braille mode is in Google Docs itself. It can be found under the
accessibility menu in Docs.

Greg Wocher

On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With Braille
mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit control, and
the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to Braille. In combination
with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on Braille mode as the experience
will be more what you are used to even when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 18. Nov. 2021 um 08:39 Uhr schrieb Sally Kiebdaj
<fiddle.pup@gmail.com>:

Hello,

Well, turning on Braille mode does seem to fix it. I never would have
thought of that since I'm not using braille and it wasn't necessary in the
past.

This is just speculation, but do you think something changed recently in
the way google docs does accessibility to necessitate braille mode with some
screen readers? And are the subset of screen reader users who use google
docs just more likely to be using braille anyway and not notice the change?

Warmly,
Sally

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello,

I am not sure what the issue you're experiencing is, but I highly
recommend turning on Braille mode, at this point, as it will generally
provide a better accessibility experience, even if you are not using a
Braille display.

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com>
wrote:

All docs and sheets regardless of owner or privileges and yes,
accessibility is turned on. I am only using the screen reader, not braille.

Thanks,
Sally

I can't say that I have. Does this happen with all sheets, or just a
specific sheet? I'm assuming that you have accessibility mode on? Are you
using Braille mode, or just screen reader mode?

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi there,

I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build)
(64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.

Pressing escape doesn't help, sorry I didn't mention I had already
tried that.

NVDA announces "application, group" which I don't remember it doing
before. However, the focus, according to my sighted partner, is in the
spreadsheet cells like usual.

Thanks!
Sally

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello Sally,

Which browser are you using where this difficulty occurs? Which
version of NVDA?

Next time you open a doc, after the doc has loaded, and you can't
seem to access it, try pressing esc and let us know what happens.

Thanks.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:30 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hello,

I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and
noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to
focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google
docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully
loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc
or sheet content and I was able to read.

Has anyone experienced new problems reading the contents of google
docs or sheets in the last 10 days?

Does anyone know about recent G Suite updates that might be causing
this?

If not, are there known NVDA settings problems that might be
causing this?

I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting this so would welcome all
suggestions!

Thanks,
Sally

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology
news.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber