recent problems using NVDA to read google docs/sheets?

Sally Kiebdaj

Hello,

I can no longer read google docs or sheets on my work laptop and noticed that I need to press Tab a few extra times on my personal laptop to focus and read a doc or sheet. However, two weeks ago, I was using google docs and sheets with no problems on either machine. After the page fully loaded and I made sure browse mode was off, my focus was already in the doc or sheet content and I was able to read.

Has anyone experienced new problems reading the contents of google docs or sheets in the last 10 days?

Does anyone know about recent G Suite updates that might be causing this?

If not, are there known NVDA settings problems that might be causing this?

I'm not sure how to start troubleshooting this so would welcome all suggestions!

Thanks,
Sally

Nimer Jaber

Hello Sally,

Which browser are you using where this difficulty occurs? Which version of NVDA?

Next time you open a doc, after the doc has loaded, and you can't seem to access it, try pressing esc and let us know what happens.

Thanks.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Sally Kiebdaj

Hi there,

I'm running Google Chrome Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit) and NVDA 2021.2.

Pressing escape doesn't help, sorry I didn't mention I had already tried that.

NVDA announces "application, group" which I don't remember it doing before. However, the focus, according to my sighted partner, is in the spreadsheet cells like usual.

Has anyone else been seeing something like this?

Thanks!
Sally

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:01 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
[...]

I can't say that I have. Does this happen with all sheets, or just a specific sheet? I'm assuming that you have accessibility mode on? Are you using Braille mode, or just screen reader mode?

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
[...]

All docs and sheets regardless of owner or privileges and yes, accessibility is turned on. I am only using the screen reader, not braille.

Thanks,
Sally

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021, 17:12 Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
[...]

I am not sure what the issue you're experiencing is, but I highly recommend turning on Braille mode, at this point, as it will generally provide a better accessibility experience, even if you are not using a Braille display.

Thanks.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:

[...]

mike mcglashon

Hi my friend:

Please do not think of me as ignorant, but,

What is “braille mode”,

What does it do, and,

How does one get to it?

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

Sharni-Lee Ward

I don't know about anybody else, but Google Docs has not been my friend for quite some time. I can't use Say All in a Google Doc, which when my friends are sharing story drafts I want to read easily, is really frustrating. And this is with Screen-Reader mode enabled!

On 17/11/2021 1:30 am, Sally Kiebdaj wrote:
[...]

Well, turning on Braille mode does seem to fix it. I never would have thought of that since I'm not using braille and it wasn't necessary in the past.

This is just speculation, but do you think something changed recently in the way google docs does accessibility to necessitate braille mode with some screen readers? And are the subset of screen reader users who use google docs just more likely to be using braille anyway and not notice the change?

Thank you for pointing me to the solution!

Warmly,
Sally

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
[...]

Felix G.

Hello,
when Braille mode is turned off, Google Docs will micromanage what the
screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With
Braille mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit
control, and the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to
Braille. In combination with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on
Braille mode as the experience will be more what you are used to even
when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 6:30 AM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

Thank you, and have a great day!

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

Thank you, and have a great day!

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

Thank you, and have a great day!

Sally Kiebdaj

Hallo,

Thank you for the explanation. It would not have occurred to me that checking the braille box would change how the text is displayed.

Warmly,
Sally

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 9:23 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hello,
when Braille mode is turned off, Google Docs will micromanage what the
screen reader announces, leaving Braille out of the equation. With
Braille mode turned on, text is presented in an accessible rich edit
control, and the screen reader is in charge so it will be able to
Braille. In combination with NVDA I strongly recommend turning on
Braille mode as the experience will be more what you are used to even
when no Braille display is present.
Best,
Felix

Am Do., 18. Nov. 2021 um 08:39 Uhr schrieb Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...>:

> Hello,
>
> Well, turning on Braille mode does seem to fix it. I never would have thought of that since I'm not using braille and it wasn't necessary in the past.
>
> This is just speculation, but do you think something changed recently in the way google docs does accessibility to necessitate braille mode with some screen readers? And are the subset of screen reader users who use google docs just more likely to be using braille anyway and not notice the change?
>
> Thank you for pointing me to the solution!
>
> Warmly,
> Sally
>
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 PM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am not sure what the issue you're experiencing is, but I highly recommend turning on Braille mode, at this point, as it will generally provide a better accessibility experience, even if you are not using a Braille display.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 2:26 PM Sally Kiebdaj <fiddle.pup@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> All docs and sheets regardless of owner or privileges and yes, accessibility is turned on. I am only using the screen reader, not braille.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Sally

>> --
>> Best,
>>
>> Nimer Jaber
>>
>> Registered Linux User 529141.
>> http://counter.li.org/
>>
>> To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org
>>
>> You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.
>>
>> Thank you, and have a great day!

Sarah k Alawami

Is braille mode in google docs itself? Or is this a setting in NVDA?

[...]

Greg Wocher

Hello,
Braille mode is in Google Docs itself. It can be found under the accessibility menu in Docs.

Greg Wocher

On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Ah I'll take a look. I don't use google docs, but only forms and sheets.

Happy Thursday.