Recommendations for NVDA voice

Mani Iyer

Hello all,
I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

Thanks.

Warmly,
Mani

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

I’m using the e-speak voice female 5. She’s very clear in my opinion.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows

I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

Thanks.

Warmly,

Mani

Jujube

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello all,
I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

Thanks.

Warmly,
Mani

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:
Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?
-
Actually, I don't.  The reason for that being that the exact nature of your hearing loss is what's going to dictate what is a clear voice to you.  I love Microsoft David, even with a slight high-frequency loss, but clearly he doesn't work for  you.

There are a wide number of OneCore voices in English that are not American accents, but that still might be better for you.  Since you say you're having an issue with consonants that strongly suggests that your high frequency loss is at play here, so choosing voices where there's more "punch" in that range is probably a good idea.  And that likely means trying out the various female voices.

You can easily add voices under Windows 10 (and, likely, the same way in 11) in Settings, Time & Language, Language Pane with the Add a language button.  The voices for English for the United States, Canada, Australia, and the UK all have text-to-speech capability.  I'd try adding those and then trying out the various voices to see which one, if any, suits you better than David does.  Only you can ultimately make the determination of what is clear to your ears.

Also, if your hearing aids have Bluetooth capability, I'd strongly suggest you exploit that by pairing them with your Windows machine and using them as your primary audio output.  I can hear so very much better when the sound is being fed straight into my ears via my aids than I can when they are amplifying the output of the computer speaker.  You can also, possibly, consult with your audiologist if you have programmable aids to create a program specifically for listening to computer speech that would exaggerate what you need exaggerated to gain clarity when using it, but that could be turned off when you are not in that listening environment.

         ~ Vance Packard

Mani Iyer

Hello Rosemarie,
Thank you for your suggestion. I use a rate between 20 and 30. I will try Zira at that rate. :)

Warmly,
Mani

On Dec 1, 2021, at 12:05 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi,

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer@...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Warmly,
> Mani

Mani Iyer

Hello Jujube,
My rate is generally between 20 and 30. I think I preferred David over Mark. And I haven’t tried Zira.

Thank you.

Mani

On Dec 1, 2021, at 11:47 AM, Jujube <ellaxyu@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Monte Single

Yes, Zira is my voice of choice.

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

> Thanks.

> Warmly,

> Mani

Jujube

Microsoft Mark does sound a little high pitched, you can try pitching it down a few notches to see if it's any better. You could also try the Canadian English voices, but if you don't have Canadian English installed, you'll need to go into windows speech settings to install it.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Yes, Zira is my voice of choice.

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

> Thanks.

> Warmly,

> Mani

Gene

One voice that hasn’t been discussed, though it may have been mentioned, is E-Speak.  It comes with NVDA, but you have to switch to it if you are using Windows 10 and 11.  While I find it harsh and lacking in body, you may find that it is easier to understand than some or many others.

Not knowing about the nature of your hearing loss, I’m not recommending it, just pointing out that it may be more understandable and that it is a part of NVDA.

If you don’t know how to switch to it and try different  e-Speak voices, list members will tell you.

Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2021 11:09 AM

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:
Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?
-
Actually, I don't.  The reason for that being tha

Monte Single

Well, maybe one of those Canadian voices sounds like me!

Microsoft Mark does sound a little high pitched, you can try pitching it down a few notches to see if it's any better. You could also try the Canadian English voices, but if you don't have Canadian English installed, you'll need to go into windows speech settings to install it.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Yes, Zira is my voice of choice.

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

> Thanks.

> Warmly,

> Mani

Doug Hayman <dhayman@...>

Speaking of NVDA voices, I’d been having trouble using NVDA and mathplayer to read math where a colleague finally pointed out to me that the Microsoft David voice I was using was the source of my equations not reading correctly.

Doug Hayman

IT Accessibility Coordinator

Information Technology

Olympic College

dhayman@...

(360) 475-7632 (currently working remotely and don’t have access to this phone)

CAUTION: This email came from a non-OC system or external source. Beware of phishing and social engineering!

One voice that hasn’t been discussed, though it may have been mentioned, is E-Speak.  It comes with NVDA, but you have to switch to it if you are using Windows 10 and 11.  While I find it harsh and lacking in body, you may find that it is easier to understand than some or many others.

Not knowing about the nature of your hearing loss, I’m not recommending it, just pointing out that it may be more understandable and that it is a part of NVDA.

If you don’t know how to switch to it and try different  e-Speak voices, list members will tell you.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:

Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

-
Actually, I don't.  The reason for that being tha

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I use  "Microsoft Richard" from the "English (Canada)" pack, but I don't know if he has the clarity you require.

Louise

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

the voice I thought was cool was microsoft james, but i don't recommend it to you, she still doesn't have a very clear pronunciation

Em qua., 1 de dez. de 2021 às 16:39, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> escreveu:

Hi.  I use  "Microsoft Richard" from the "English (Canada)" pack, but I don't know if he has the clarity you require.

Louise

Jujube

Microsoft James is an Australian accented voice so if you're not used to that accent, it's probably not for you.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 1:53 PM Eduardo Fermiano Luccas <25102008luccas@...> wrote:
the voice I thought was cool was microsoft james, but i don't recommend it to you, she still doesn't have a very clear pronunciation

Em qua., 1 de dez. de 2021 às 16:39, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> escreveu:
Hi.  I use  "Microsoft Richard" from the "English (Canada)" pack, but I don't know if he has the clarity you require.

Louise

Mani Iyer

Hello Jujube,
I did try the Zira voice and I actually like her. But tell me which synthesizer should I be using: Microsoft 5 API or Windows Core Voices? I see a noticeable difference in Zira between the two. And besides, mark is missing from the Microsoft synthesizer.
Right now I am using Microsoft’s Zira.

Thanks,
Mani

On Dec 1, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Jujube <ellaxyu@...> wrote:

Microsoft Mark does sound a little high pitched, you can try pitching it down a few notches to see if it's any better. You could also try the Canadian English voices, but if you don't have Canadian English installed, you'll need to go into windows speech settings to install it.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Yes, Zira is my voice of choice.

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

> Thanks.

> Warmly,

> Mani

Jujube

I would suggest OneCore mainly because you have the option of achieving higher speech rates with it, if that matters to you. Otherwise, it's personal preference.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 3:08 PM Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Jujube,
I did try the Zira voice and I actually like her. But tell me which synthesizer should I be using: Microsoft 5 API or Windows Core Voices? I see a noticeable difference in Zira between the two. And besides, mark is missing from the Microsoft synthesizer.
Right now I am using Microsoft’s Zira.

Thanks,
Mani

On Dec 1, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Jujube <ellaxyu@...> wrote:

Microsoft Mark does sound a little high pitched, you can try pitching it down a few notches to see if it's any better. You could also try the Canadian English voices, but if you don't have Canadian English installed, you'll need to go into windows speech settings to install it.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

Yes, Zira is my voice of choice.

My favorite one-core voice is Zira. She sounds really good at a fast rate.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi, Have you tried some of the other OneCore voices including Zira or mark? They may or may not sound better to you. Otherwise, you could try the Eloquence/Vocalizer addon and see if any of that stuff suits you better. It costs money though, but you can trial it for a weekb before buying. Also, how fast is your speech rate? If you use faster speech rates, most of the other OneCore voices sound significantly better at high speech rates than David, as well as Eloquence and possibly some of the Vocalizer voices. Hope this helps.

> On Dec 1, 2021, at 7:51 AM, Mani Iyer via groups.io <mani.g.iyer@...> wrote:

> Hello all,

> I am profoundly deaf and wear hearing aids. I  am currently using Microsoft’s David's voice. But this voice lacks clarity of certain consonants for my hearing and I find myself resorting to phonetic spelling a lot. Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?

> Thanks.

> Warmly,

> Mani

Mani Iyer

Gene,
I agree the speak voices lack the body and do sound harsh, although I have to admit I did not seriously give all the English American voices a spin.  I will do that soon.

Thanks,
Mani

Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2021 11:09 AM

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:
Do you have any recommendation for a ‘clear’ voice under which which speech synthesizer would possibly help me. ?
-
Actually, I don't.  The reason for that being tha

Gene

If you haven’t, you might want to try the default English voice as well.  I haven’t used most of the variants and dialects in E-Speak because I don’t like the voice.  But I wanted to discuss it because I didn’t know if you had tried it and it might be worth trying.

Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2021 11:09 AM

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 02:53 PM, Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:
the voice I thought was cool was microsoft james, but i don't recommend it to you, she still doesn't have a very clear pronunciation
I also had a hard time understanding the English and Australian voices because I'm not used to the accents.

Louise