Topics

Release of add-on applicationDictionary

Rui Fontes

Hello friends!

Application Dictionary
Informations
• Authors: Ricardo M. Leonarczyk and Rui Fontes
• Version: 1.3
• Download stable version
• Compatibility: NVDA: 2019.1 to 2020.1

Usage

This simple add-on makes possible to create application-specific dictionaries for NVDA.
To use the add-on, just go to the application for wich you want a dictionary for, and press NVDA+shift+p. The normal NVDA dictionary dialog will open for you to add entries valid only for the active application (the application name should appear in the dialog title). The default add-on shortcut can be changed through NVDA's input gestures dialog: under configuration node, expand the node that says "Shows the application-specific dictionary dialog".
Command

"NVDA+Shift+p": Shows the application-specific dictionary dialog

Rui Fontes and Ricardo M. Leonarczyk

Sarah k Alawami

Wo! Can this be looked into for adding into nvda's core? That I thik woudl be very handy, and would be better than other solutions out there now.

Take care

On 29 Apr 2020, at 12:27, Rui Fontes wrote:

[...]

Hi,

There were discussions on GitHub about it and there was a talk about producing a pull request for inclusion in NVDA. At the moment NVDA developers are focusing on pull request backlog.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Adriani Botez

There is pullrequest #11005

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

[...]

Sorry Joseph and Adriani, but you are wrong...

#11005 is:

Add profile specific speech dictionaries

This one is for application specific dictionary...

Can be the same thing in some cases, but also can be different...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 23:06 de 29/04/2020, Adriani Botez escreveu:

[...]

The most prominent time the two concepts will be the same is if an app-specific configuration profile is active. At other times, these concepts are different.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Nice to know. Let's hope one day this can get worked on. I'm in no rush at all. I can wait.

Take care all and have a happy Friday. I might grab the add on to keep in case I need it.

On 29 Apr 2020, at 15:00, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Where is the difference in practice for the enduser? Having this in profiles is even more confortable because you don‘t need additional dialogs or interfaces.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Excellent, one of my most used addons by the way.

Thank you

[...]

Akshaya Choudhary

Can someone give me an example of the usage of this add-on?  Would help me understandd it better.

Regards
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Ralf Kefferpuetz

It gives you a speech dictionary for each application you’re running. As an example you have the speech output “Mark has joined the meeting” within Zoom. I want to replace it to “Mark joined”, but only in Zoom and not in other apps. So when you are in Zoom press shift-NVDA-P and enter the dictionary entry for the Zoom app only.

Cheers,

  Ralf