From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: Monday, October 4, 2021 3:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] remote

a friend has the remote options set but when he reboots NVDA he is not connecting to the nvdaremote.com.

**********
checkout my internet station Family times
Music, TV shows, christian radio dramas, cooking shows, books and movies
Just ask your smart speaker to play family times on TuneIn
or click the link below

Saturdays at 8am MDT on Club House look for the family reading room

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

i wonder what the requirements need to be to point to your own server?

I’ve not been able to connect all day myself.  I’m thinking that the NVDA remote proxy server is down.  I know I can set up my own remote server, but I’m not sure how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated, as I need the remote facility to look after my internet radio station.

a friend has the remote options set but when he reboots NVDA he is not connecting to the nvdaremote.com.

**********
checkout my internet station Family times
Music, TV shows, christian radio dramas, cooking shows, books and movies
Just ask your smart speaker to play family times on TuneIn
or click the link below

Saturdays at 8am MDT on Club House look for the family reading room

This could very easily be a spin-off of the other issues on the internet today.

That being said, I have proposed on multiple occasions that we begin to maintain a list of private NVDA Remote servers available for "the public" (which would mostly be members here) to use.  Many have set them up, and if there are not issues related to bandwidth expense, it makes sense to share them for occasions such as this.

I think that nvdaremote.com is actually what I'd call a private server available for the public to connect to.  They exist for myriad purposes, but the volume any one of them would likely get at any time is not likely to be a data tsunami.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 04:59 PM, Robert Doc Wright godfearer wrote:
i wonder what the requirements need to be to point to your own server?
-
Normally I'd tell you to look at nvdaremote.com, as I seem to recall the documentation for setting up your own NVDA Remote server was quite good.

Alas, at the moment, all related to nvdaremote.com is at a standstill.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jim Pemberton

Brian, my apologies if you are already aware of this, but a quick Google search gave me this result, which may go along with what you’ve just said in this post.  https://nvra.io/

This could very easily be a spin-off of the other issues on the internet today.

That being said, I have proposed on multiple occasions that we begin to maintain a list of private NVDA Remote servers available for "the public" (which would mostly be members here) to use.  Many have set them up, and if there are not issues related to bandwidth expense, it makes sense to share them for occasions such as this.

I think that nvdaremote.com is actually what I'd call a private server available for the public to connect to.  They exist for myriad purposes, but the volume any one of them would likely get at any time is not likely to be a data tsunami.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jim,

Actually, I was not, and am thrilled to see that someone not only had the idea for such a directory, but followed through with creating it.

I would suggest that those who normally use nvdaremote.com as their relay server look at https://nvra.io/ for alternatives.  Having servers B, C, and D, is always wise.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

Could this be another manifestation of the root certificate expiration?

Sent: Monday, October 04, 2021 3:54 PM

I’ve not been able to connect all day myself.  I’m thinking that the NVDA remote proxy server is down.  I know I can set up my own remote server, but I’m not sure how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated, as I need the remote facility to look after my internet radio station.

a friend has the remote options set but when he reboots NVDA he is not connecting to the nvdaremote.com.

**********
checkout my internet station Family times
Music, TV shows, christian radio dramas, cooking shows, books and movies
Just ask your smart speaker to play family times on TuneIn
or click the link below

Saturdays at 8am MDT on Club House look for the family reading room

Jackie

Looks like those that followed thru are the initial creators of NVDA
Remote. Good for Christopher & Tyler!

Could this be another manifestation of the root certificate expiration?

a friend has the remote options set but when he reboots NVDA he is not
connecting to the nvdaremote.com.

**********
checkout my internet station Family times
Music, TV shows, christian radio dramas, cooking shows, books and movies
Just ask your smart speaker to play family times on TuneIn
or click the link below

Saturdays at 8am MDT on Club House look for the family reading room

Steve Nutt

Hi,

I don’t use NVDA Remote at all to remote into any machine, I use RDP, Remote Desktop Protocol, then run Narrator on the host machine.

That seems accessible, if the host is configured correctly.

Heck, I can even run NVDA via RDP.

All the best

Steve

I’ve not been able to connect all day myself.  I’m thinking that the NVDA remote proxy server is down.  I know I can set up my own remote server, but I’m not sure how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated, as I need the remote facility to look after my internet radio station.

a friend has the remote options set but when he reboots NVDA he is not connecting to the nvdaremote.com.

**********
checkout my internet station Family times
Music, TV shows, christian radio dramas, cooking shows, books and movies
Just ask your smart speaker to play family times on TuneIn
or click the link below

Saturdays at 8am MDT on Club House look for the family reading room

Christopher Duffley

Hey Robert,

It's actually not that hard to do, if you have the technical knowhow and can forward a port on your router or Windows Firewall.

The server implementation I recommend and which works extremely well for me, both Windows and Linux, is:
https://github.com/jdmaweb/NVDARemoteServer

There's a readme file on the page, at heading level 1, that has a "Building" heading so that you can see how to build it. If you have good enough experience with the command line, this should not be a problem for you.

If you'd like to point your IP to a domain, your best option for the free route is to use something like no-ip.org or duckdns.org which will let you point an IP address to a subdomain of your choosing.

Brian, regarding your message about remote servers, all of you can please go ahead and add unlimitedhoperadio.com to your known hosts. This is one that I put up not only so I can control my own machines while I'm away from them or just to have them on there as controlled machines, but for this very reason, in the event that anyone needs an extra host out of Newark, New Jersey in the United States to go to if necessary.

Christopher Duffley
Host of Mission Possible Podcast: http://www.missionpossiblepodcast.com
Cell: +1 (603) 851-6971

12 Pro Max

i wonder what the requirements need to be to point to your own server?
I’ve not been able to connect all day myself.  I’m thinking that the NVDA remote proxy server is down.  I know I can set up my own remote server, but I’m not sure how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated, as I need the remote facility to look after my internet radio station.

a friend has the remote options set but when he reboots NVDA he is not connecting to the nvdaremote.com.

**********
checkout my internet station Family times
Music, TV shows, christian radio dramas, cooking shows, books and movies
Just ask your smart speaker to play family times on TuneIn
or click the link below

Saturdays at 8am MDT on Club House look for the family reading room

Christopher Duffley

My apologies on misspelling the Github link! It actually is:

Thanks,

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

Thanks for sharing this information with the NVDA community.  NVDA Remote is an excellent resource but since V2.4, I have had connectivity issues with it using nvdaremote.com but I didn’t know about these alternative servers.  Regarding the narrative about latency and distance between the connected computers on the nvra.io site, nvdaremote.com could still be the shortest route for some users but it’s location is not specified.  Could this be added to the site?

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 10/4/21, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> Could this be another manifestation of the root certificate expiration?

> Gene

I agree with this. However, I've queried the IP for the domain and it's out of Denver. I don't know how many other people in the northeast, for example, who would benefit from this particular server, given its location and how laggy it can get at times. That's why I have my own set up, and I'm also glad that nvra.io is a thing with multiple servers across the country for that very purpose.