Remove beeps from list of emails

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Joseph,

How do I start with addons disabled?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remove beeps from list of emails

Hi,

Another possibility: how about restarting with all add-ons turned off? That way we can figure out if this is an add-on problem (I have a hunch that it is one of my add-ons not working right for you, and if so, I’ll do something about it).

For others: this invalidates claims that the email client is to blame, although it might have something to do with it. We won’t find out until we go through troubleshooting steps.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:46 AM

Joseph,

You are right, Quentin did ask me to send a log last night but I am only now getting around to it. As I was looking for the keystroke to launch the log, I accidentally struck NVDA+7 on the PC keyboard and the bleeping stopped! I toggled NVDA+7 again and the bleeping came back again! 

NVDA keyboard help tells me that: NVDA+7 Toggles on and off the movement of the navigator object due to focus changes!.

Is this the answer to the problem? Can I enable this action without having to have the bleeps?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 3:13 PM

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone has asked for one, but can you send an NVDA log (set to input/output) so people can find out what’s causing it? Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:08 AM

Thanks, Jim,

I did not know about that function.

However, it is not that setting as I have it at none and the list of emails is still beeping!

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Doherty
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:33 PM

Cearbhall,

Try NVDA key and the letter u, you will get the options to either beep or voice and beeps or none, try none. It might work.

This is using a laptop the NVDA key is the cap lock key, not sure what it is on a desktop.

hth

Jim

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:48 AM

Sorry, Chris,

Sounds are turned off in Ease of access in Outlook Options!

Amuwau. Tjos os s[ecofoc to NVDA and does not occur with any other screen reader.

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 10:54 AM

That be in outlook options under ease of access section

Sent: 11 April 2019 09:14
Subject: [nvda] Remove beeps from list of emails

Hi,

I am trying to find out how to stop MVDA from beeping every time I press tab or arrow up or down in a list of emails in Outlook. I have turned off all mouse tracking in the settings menu but the beeping persists. Can anyone advise me what to do?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Joseph,

I went into the ad on manager and disabled your beep add-on and the problem has gone away! Now when I toggle NVDA+7 to either on or off there is no more beeping!

This is a brutal way to resolve the problem but it is a relief. However, I would like to understand what was happening and why I could not simply toggle the beeps on or off without losing the ability to Trak the cursor.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Gene

I just checked.  The name of the add-on is object location tones. 
The description says, "After installing this add-on and restarting NVDA (or when you enable this add-on), as you navigate to different controls, you'll hear tones to indicate where the object is located on screen."  It is evidently seeing items in Outlook like different messages in the list as controls.  I assume from the fact that you don't complain about this in other programs such as Windows Explorer, that this generally doesn't happen.

That also explains why when you turned off the object navigator moving as you moved in the application, that no beeps were heard.  the object navigator didn't move and the add-on was therefore unaware that you were moving in the application. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:36 PM

Joseph,

I went into the ad on manager and disabled your beep add-on and the problem has gone away! Now when I toggle NVDA+7 to either on or off there is no more beeping!

This is a brutal way to resolve the problem but it is a relief. However, I would like to understand what was happening and why I could not simply toggle the beeps on or off without losing the ability to Trak the cursor.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall,
I'm not Joseph, but let me answer your question :)
You can find the option to restart NVDA with all add-ons disabled on the exit dialog. I believe you know how to get there, though if you don't, it's NVDA+Q.
Another way of doing it is through the command line but I don't know the exact command.
I'm in a hurry now, but if nobody comes up with such a command, I can look it for you later on.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 11/04/2019 18:27, Cearbhall O'Meadhra disse:

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

Another possibility: how about restarting with all add-ons turned off? That way we can figure out if this is an add-on problem (I have a hunch that it is one of my add-ons not working right for you, and if so, I’ll do something about it).

For others: this invalidates claims that the email client is to blame, although it might have something to do with it. We won’t find out until we go through troubleshooting steps.

Cheers,

Joseph

Joseph,

You are right, Quentin did ask me to send a log last night but I am only now getting around to it. As I was looking for the keystroke to launch the log, I accidentally struck NVDA+7 on the PC keyboard and the bleeping stopped! I toggled NVDA+7 again and the bleeping came back again! 

NVDA keyboard help tells me that: NVDA+7 Toggles on and off the movement of the navigator object due to focus changes!.

Is this the answer to the problem? Can I enable this action without having to have the bleeps?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone has asked for one, but can you send an NVDA log (set to input/output) so people can find out what’s causing it? Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Thanks, Jim,

However, it is not that setting as I have it at none and the list of emails is still beeping!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall,

Try NVDA key and the letter u, you will get the options to either beep or voice and beeps or none, try none. It might work.

This is using a laptop the NVDA key is the cap lock key, not sure what it is on a desktop.

hth

Jim

Sorry, Chris,

Amuwau. Tjos os s[ecofoc to NVDA and does not occur with any other screen reader.

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io

Hi,

I am trying to find out how to stop MVDA from beeping every time I press tab or arrow up or down in a list of emails in Outlook. I have turned off all mouse tracking in the settings menu but the beeping persists. Can anyone advise me what to do?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

That’s my conclusion as well.

That add-on is meant to be a proof of concept implementation of the following NVDA issue:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2559

Luckily, the NVDA Core implementation of this add-on will be sensitive to configuration profiles – it is just awaiting code review at the moment.
Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:50 PM

The description says, "After installing this add-on and restarting NVDA (or when you enable this add-on), as you navigate to different controls, you'll hear tones to indicate where the object is located on screen."  It is evidently seeing items in Outlook like different messages in the list as controls.  I assume from the fact that you don't complain about this in other programs such as Windows Explorer, that this generally doesn't happen.

That also explains why when you turned off the object navigator moving as you moved in the application, that no beeps were heard.  the object navigator didn't move and the add-on was therefore unaware that you were moving in the application. 

Gene

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Gene

So, as I understand the description, this is only supposed to happen when using Object navigation and moving the navigator with the navigator movement keys.  I wonder what it is in Outlook that causes the beeps to sound when the navigator is moved as it follows the application as used from the main keyboard?

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:43 PM

Hi,

That add-on is meant to be a proof of concept implementation of the following NVDA issue:

Luckily, the NVDA Core implementation of this add-on will be sensitive to configuration profiles – it is just awaiting code review at the moment.
Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

At a nutshell, this add-on will beep the screen coordinate of the object one is moving to. This is applicable to both navigator object and system focus. This is the reason why the beep is heard.

I’d be curious to know if this happened with other apps – any app that presents controls that can be arrowed through (such as files and folders list in File Explorer) will exhibit this behavior.

The NVDA Core version of this add-on (pending approval from NV Access people as it was reviewed not long ago) will let users configure this setting:

• No beep
  • Only beep for system focus changes
  • Beep for object navigation commands
  • Both system focus and object navigation

The intended purpose of Object Location Tones add-on (and the NVDA Core version of that) is to let users know where things are on screen – to serve as a screen orientation aid for those needing it. An equivalent functionality for touchscreens is part of Enhanced Touch Gestures (some portions of that add-on will be packaged as a pull request for NVDA later). If I didn’t spell that out clearly on add-ons page, I sincerely apologize (a huge failure on my part, which I need to address before I go down to Santa Ana, California for a national speech tournament next week).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:41 PM

So, as I understand the description, this is only supposed to happen when using Object navigation and moving the navigator with the navigator movement keys.  I wonder what it is in Outlook that causes the beeps to sound when the navigator is moved as it follows the application as used from the main keyboard?

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Gene

you can check but what I saw didn't go into all that detail.  You can see if I missed something, though I don't think I did.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:48 PM

Hi,

At a nutshell, this add-on will beep the screen coordinate of the object one is moving to. This is applicable to both navigator object and system focus. This is the reason why the beep is heard.

I’d be curious to know if this happened with other apps – any app that presents controls that can be arrowed through (such as files and folders list in File Explorer) will exhibit this behavior.

The NVDA Core version of this add-on (pending approval from NV Access people as it was reviewed not long ago) will let users configure this setting:

• No beep

The intended purpose of Object Location Tones add-on (and the NVDA Core version of that) is to let users know where things are on screen – to serve as a screen orientation aid for those needing it. An equivalent functionality for touchscreens is part of Enhanced Touch Gestures (some portions of that add-on will be packaged as a pull request for NVDA later). If I didn’t spell that out clearly on add-ons page, I sincerely apologize (a huge failure on my part, which I need to address before I go down to Santa Ana, California for a national speech tournament next week).

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

I’ll clarify some things about this add-on on our add-ons page (and add a link to NVDA issue 2559).

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:56 PM

you can check but what I saw didn't go into all that detail.  You can see if I missed something, though I don't think I did.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:48 PM

Hi,

• No beep

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Thanks, Marcio,

I will do it that way when I need it.

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of marcio via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:24 PM

Cearbhall,
I'm not Joseph, but let me answer your question :)
You can find the option to restart NVDA with all add-ons disabled on the exit dialog. I believe you know how to get there, though if you don't, it's NVDA+Q.
Another way of doing it is through the command line but I don't know the exact command.
I'm in a hurry now, but if nobody comes up with such a command, I can look it for you later on.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 11/04/2019 18:27, Cearbhall O'Meadhra disse:

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Joseph,

NVDA keyboard help tells me that: “NVDA+7 “Toggles on and off the movement of the navigator object due to focus changes!”.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Thanks, Jim,

However, it is not that setting as I have it at “none” and the list of emails is still beeping!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall,

hth

Jim

Sorry, Chris,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Hi,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Joseph,

The Add-on is very successful! The beep tones make it very clear where one is in a list. The lower tones match the lower levels of the lsit and the higher at the top. I did not hear any left to right movement of the tones but perhaps that only applies to mouse navigation beeps?

I did find the beeping tracking the file explorer and document menu lists of files. I stopped them after turning off all the possible switches that I could find so I dont know exactly what turned them off and left the beeping in Outlook only!

For the moment, all is quiet and I am so relieved!

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 5:49 AM

Hi,

• No beep

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Joseph,

All the best,

Cearbhall