Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2021 1:06 PM
Subject: [nvda] Renaming File Extensions in Bulk

Hello NVDA,

What is the smoothest way to rename file extensions on a USB drive?
  I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.
Can this be accomplished in WordPad or in Jarte?
Thanks in advance for your help.
--
David C. Russell, Author

JM Casey

Hmm...I wouldn't bother making that particular change if I were you, but assuming you ahve good reason to do it, I would use command line.
The command "ren" will rename files. You can use wildcares. Make sure you know the path of the drive/folder you want to affect and eitehr navigate there with the "cd" command or type it in with the ren command. For example
Ren h:\documents\*.docx,*.doc
That should accomplish what you want.
But if you're trying to get documents to open on an old version of Word by changing the extension, this won't really work.

What is the smoothest way to rename file extensions on a USB drive?
I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.
Can this be accomplished in WordPad or in Jarte?
Thanks in advance for your help.
--
David C. Russell, Author

Luke Davis

David Russell wrote:

I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.
While completely indorsing what others have said, if you really do have some good reason for doing this, a tool like the following might help you. I do not confirm its accessibility, or guarantee it in any other way. It is just the first Google result for "convert multiple files from .docx to .doc".

https://www.extendoffice.com/product/kutools-for-word/word-convert-docx-to-doc.html

You might also look at this, which is free:

http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html

Luke

Gene

It sounds as though those utilities actually convert the files from one format to another.  I don’t know if any information such as formatting may be lost or changed, but if you want to have a different format file, that’s the way to do it.  Changing the extension means you have a file of one kind matched with an incorrect extension.
changing the format means the file extension and the format of the file match.

>  I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.

While completely indorsing what others have said, if you really do have
some good reason for doing this, a tool like the following might help you.
I do not confirm its accessibility, or guarantee it in any other way. It
is just the first Google result for "convert multiple files from .docx to
.doc".

https://www.extendoffice.com/product/kutools-for-word/word-convert-docx-to-doc.html

You might also look at this, which is free:

http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html

Luke

JM Casey

Still, there are reasons why one might want to change and extension and *not* change the format. We’ll see what the OP says if they decide to respond to the thread.

If you want to convert textfiles, I think pandoc is a great and eminently straightforward solution. It’s a command line utility; all you have to do is type in the arguments, and your file is converted in a snap. Of course there’s no GUI – if that’s scary, I guess you might want to try one of those other  solutions.

Still, the OP was about extensions only so let’s see.

It sounds as though those utilities actually convert the files from one format to another.  I don’t know if any information such as formatting may be lost or changed, but if you want to have a different format file, that’s the way to do it.  Changing the extension means you have a file of one kind matched with an incorrect extension.

changing the format means the file extension and the format of the file match.

>  I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.

While completely indorsing what others have said, if you really do have
some good reason for doing this, a tool like the following might help you.
I do not confirm its accessibility, or guarantee it in any other way. It
is just the first Google result for "convert multiple files from .docx to
.doc".

https://www.extendoffice.com/product/kutools-for-word/word-convert-docx-to-doc.html

You might also look at this, which is free:

http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html

Luke

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 02:21 PM, Gene wrote:
If they are docx files, you shouldn’t change the extension.  Extension names mean something.  If you change an extension, a program may not interpret a file correctly.  Its like renaming wave files as mp3.  they are different formats.
-
A big old, SECONDED!

I've seen bulk renaming used as a trick to allow certain files with extensions that can't be attached to email (e.g., EXE) be changed to something else, but the recipient knows they have to reverse the process on the other end.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to change DOCX files to DOC files by extension change.  You need to open them and save them in DOC format, which is different than DOCX format.  Renaming RandomFile.docx to RandomFile.doc does not, in any way, shape, or form, make it "become" a true doc file, and anything trying to open it as though it were a true doc file is not going to be happy.

      ~ Brian Vogel

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 03:28 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
You might also look at this, which is free:

http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html
-
Just FYI, my first acquaintance with this utility was via a recommendation on one of the screen reader or other blind-centric technology lists.

And doing a bulk file conversion to a different file format, which changes the extension on the files so converted as part of that, is just fine.  That's completely different than just renaming something and giving it a file extension that is not consistent with the actual file format.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Well you can't, docx is the xml document file used for word formats 2007 and higher so it probably won't work.

but ok, press winkey and r.

type cmd and hit enter

then go to the letter of your drive, lets call it f

go to the directory the files are in by typing cd dirname\subdir, etc and hit enter.

if this is all in root then don't bother about that.

type ren or rename *.docx *.doc and hit enter.

all the files will be renamed.

Now weathher they will work is another story.

Docx is the new word document format doc is the older format from word 97 and below.

On 9/06/2021 6:06 am, David Russell wrote:
Hello NVDA,

What is the smoothest way to rename file extensions on a USB drive?
I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.
Can this be accomplished in WordPad or in Jarte?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I agree jean.

Exactly what I told the above poster, I also gave them a way to rename the files though why is a different question.

On 9/06/2021 6:21 am, Gene wrote:
If they are docx files, you shouldn’t change the extension.  Extension names mean something.  If you change an extension, a program may not interpret a file correctly.  Its like renaming wave files as mp3.  they are different formats.  What are you trying to accomplish.  If you tell us why you want to rename the files, we may be able to answer the underlying question of what you want to do and the best way to do it.

Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2021 1:06 PM

Hello NVDA,

What is the smoothest way to rename file extensions on a USB drive?
  I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.
Can this be accomplished in WordPad or in Jarte?
Thanks in advance for your help.
--
David C. Russell, Author

I would also select from word options the file you want to save.

The only reason you would want to save documents as doc files like in word 2003 or earlier is if you have to run with an older system.

If you really do need to run with an older system or more likely a multios system such as with linux or mac, I would save all word documents as ritchtext rtf format or text as its universal.

Obviously there are limitations with both.

If you want to continue word documents as doc, I would save them as word 97 or even 3.0-4.0 so they would work with other older systems.

The universal access extentions are rtf, html, and pdf.

You are supposed to be able to save with the open data format of open and libreoffice but who knows.

When I ran powerpoints back in 2006 using office xp I saved them from my university as ritchtext so I would get the text.

However the only reason I would probably even bother changing would be linux, as I am unsure if there are docx readers about but libre and openoffice can read those.

The only other reason I'd even contemplate would be space.

Lets face it docx and pdfs can get huge so can doc files, rtf doesn't have this issue and can be opened anywhere.

But again, you would need a reason why.

While I do have access to docx and doc files I only have office here as a way to read my old word 2003 and 97 files which I had for my flatting course and can't easily be read in jarte.

Most of my real work like diaries are done in plane text.

Everythhing else like books are epub and pdf  as well as html.

But then my line of work as a freelance tester puts me in the position where I don't need to write reports of any sort or at least not anything complicated.

On 9/06/2021 7:42 am, Gene wrote:
It sounds as though those utilities actually convert the files from one format to another.  I don’t know if any information such as formatting may be lost or changed, but if you want to have a different format file, that’s the way to do it.  Changing the extension means you have a file of one kind matched with an incorrect extension.
changing the format means the file extension and the format of the file match.
>  I wish to have all of them appear as 'doc' files and not 'docx' files.

While completely indorsing what others have said, if you really do have
some good reason for doing this, a tool like the following might help you.
I do not confirm its accessibility, or guarantee it in any other way. It
is just the first Google result for "convert multiple files from .docx to
.doc".

https://www.extendoffice.com/product/kutools-for-word/word-convert-docx-to-doc.html

You might also look at this, which is free:

http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html

Luke

David Russell

Hello NVDA Members,

Thanks to each of you for responding to my post concerning changing
the file extension from docx to doc. This was to make Jarte more user
friendly. However, You and my 'wife' are right about changing docx to
doc does not necessarily work. Either get a converter program, or get
a newer version of MS Word appear to be my two choices.
To save time, I cannot install MS Word on my new computer via a
product key that came with the computer, because my MicroSoft account
info is partially lost and in error.
Jarte seems to say I need the converter pack from 2007, it's now 2021.
I suppose learning Google Docs is another option, too and free of
charge. However, I have several files on a thumb drive that I want
access to, and not sure how to go about resolving this mess.
I found the article about renaming bulk files on Computer Hope.com,
and it sounded easy to do and like what I needed to do, but evidently
I miscalculated on both. Now you know much of the story.. Thanks!

Best,
David C. Russell, Author, and one of the steps pre-install, is to add
your account info.

Rui Fontes

You have built-in in Windows 10 a word editor able to handle DOCX files...

Is name is WordPad...

After opening you can, if you want, save it in DOC format...

Rui Fontes

Às 14:56 de 09/06/2021, David Russell escreveu:

[...]

Angelo Sonnesso

Get a copy of LibreOffice, it is MS office compatible.
The newer versions work well with screen readers.

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

Jackie

You can also download the ms 2007 compatibility pack here:
https://en.softonic.com/download/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack/windows/post-download

Please look at the installation carefully so as not to be given
potentially unwanted programs. I don't think that'll be the case here,
but the warning still stands anyway.

On 6/9/21, Angelo Sonnesso <asonnesso@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

If you try to open a docx file in Jarte, a dialog will come up telling you how to get a Microsoft utility that will allow it to read Docx files.

I see this a lot.  People often ask how to do what their guess is about how to solve a problem and don’t explain what the problem is or what they want to do.

Now that we know what you want to do, we can address the specific problem.

Try opening a DOCX file and the dialog will come up.  Follow the link given, download and install the utility.  You can now open DOCX files.  You can’t make modifications and save the file again as a DOCX file.  You will have to save it as another format but you can read any DOCX file you wish and as long as you don’t want to modify it, if your purpose is to read them, that will meet your needs.  As I said, if you want to modify a file, you will have to save it as some other format supported by JARTE.

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2021 8:56 AM

[...]

And I see that you are assuming the converter pack won’t work just because it is old.  I think it likely will work.  there is nothing lost by trying it.  I don’t think the JARTE developers would have continued to refer users to a utility that no longer works.

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2021 8:56 AM

[...]

I just looked at the help page JARTE provides regarding DOCX files.  I believe the reason it refers to 2007 DOCX files is because Word 2007 may have been the first version of Word in which DOCX files were supported.  I think it is very likely that the utility will work with JARTE to the present day.

Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2021 8:56 AM

[...]

When it comes to Jarte, it exists in a "grey area" where it's still being distributed, but it is, for all practical intents and purposes, unsupported.  For that reason and that reason alone, it makes more sense to go with something like LibreOffice or SoftMaker Free Office that can handle both reading in and saving out in DOCX format with ease.

The DOC format is supported by most because so many ancient DOC files exist, and the need to read them does and will exist far into the future.  But most word processors that do read in a DOC will generally prompt you to use DOCX, ODT, or some other more modern file format if you have modified a DOC file and go to save it.

And LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and SoftMaker Free Office (in the testing I've done if it is installed using the option for its menu interface - its ribbon interface is inaccessible in the current free version) are all accessible and all handle all of the modern file formats.

Going through great gyrations in order to shoehorn backward compatibility with software such as Jarte, which is in a twilight state, just does not make sense.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

Brian, you're correct, of course, except there are some areas that are
really lacking in LO. For example, the 'say all' function doesn't
actually work, & I personally like using that to gauge the flow of my
writing. Softmaker, unfortunately, really isn't usable, at least from
my experience. It's like Paul Simon said in "Mrs. Robinson", I
guess--"laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose, any
way you look at it you lose." Aint bein' blind fun! :).

[...]

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.
The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression,
which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the
clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel