Topics

Require help with Google Hangouts with NVDA

ss sarfudeen

Dear list members,

I would like to be able to use Google Hangouts with NVDA for a
meeting. I wish to know if it is possible to use Hangouts with Mozilla
Firefox and if so, where I can find and open it in gmail. Please
provide me the list of keyboard commands to make and answer video
calls by accepting invitations and send and receive messages. Your
valuable assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance,

Sultana

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Using+Google+Hangouts+with+a+screen+reader

Then start reading.  Google publishes extensive accessibility documentation for virtually every product it makes, and Hangouts is among those.  There's nothing like going to the source, and a simple web search takes you straight to it.

Arlene

T  use it myself. I have a google account I don’t have google hangouts.  I’m sure you can use it with any screen reader you have.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I would like to be able to use Google Hangouts with NVDA for a

meeting. I wish to know if it is possible to use Hangouts with Mozilla

Firefox and if so, where I can find and open it in gmail. Please

provide me the list of keyboard commands to make and answer video

calls by accepting invitations and send and receive messages. Your

valuable assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance,

Sultana

Sarah k Alawami

Yes you can. I don't use keyboard commands, but personally I don't like google meets. Yes, that's what they are calling it now.

Take care

On 3 Jun 2020, at 9:17, Arlene wrote:

T  use it myself. I have a google account I don’t have google hangouts.  I’m sure you can use it with any screen reader you have.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I would like to be able to use Google Hangouts with NVDA for a

meeting. I wish to know if it is possible to use Hangouts with Mozilla

Firefox and if so, where I can find and open it in gmail. Please

provide me the list of keyboard commands to make and answer video

calls by accepting invitations and send and receive messages. Your

valuable assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance,

Sultana

Arlene, just FYI, if you have a Google Account you "have" Google Hangouts, though you may or may not have or use the Hangouts App for the Google Chrome Browser or have a Google Voice Phone Number that would allow you to be called by someone else.

Anyone with a Google Account can open the page hangouts.google.com in the web browser of their choosing and be able to make phone calls within the USA and Canada at no charge, make video calls to other Google Account holders, and, now, get into Google Meetings.   You can also send a text message from Hangouts, but only if you have signed up for a Google Voice number and allow Hangouts to use it.

Arlene

Yes, I’ve seen it.  I never really took the time to look it over fully. I’m using windows xp NVDA 17.2  Have a good day.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:33 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I don't like google meets. Yes, that's what they are calling it now.
No, they're not.  Google Meet is a product line all its own, launched since the Covid-19 pandemic started, that's meant to compete with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and the like.

Hangouts still exists as a completely separate product, though it's said Google intends to discontinue it.  Heaven knows they've done that before.  Voice (which still exists, but is virtually never talked about other than to get a phone number) was replaced by Hangouts and now that's going to be replaced by something else.  But if it's Google Meet that has not occurred as of yet.

Arlene

Craziness. They should have left it at google hangouts.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I would like to be able to use Google Hangouts with NVDA for a

meeting. I wish to know if it is possible to use Hangouts with Mozilla

Firefox and if so, where I can find and open it in gmail. Please

provide me the list of keyboard commands to make and answer video

calls by accepting invitations and send and receive messages. Your

valuable assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance,

Sultana

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM, Arlene wrote:
I’m using windows xp NVDA 17.2
Then, depending on what web browser you use, you may or may not have access to Google Hangouts (among many other things).  IE8 has been blocked from a huge number of sites for a long while now, but I do know there were at least a couple of browsers that maintained compatibility with XP up until very recently that should still work.

ss sarfudeen

Dear members,

Thank you all for your responses. Will take a look. Having said that,
I would like to clarify if it works only with chrome and not with
Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Regards,

Sultana

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM, Arlene wrote:

I’m using windows xp NVDA 17.2
Then, depending on what web browser you use, you may or may not have access
to Google Hangouts (among many other things). IE8 has been blocked from a
huge number of sites for a long while now, but I do know there were at least
a couple of browsers that maintained compatibility with XP up until very
recently that should still work.

*Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.*

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment
Took Hold in the United States (
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html
) , September 23, 2019

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 01:03 PM, ss sarfudeen wrote:
I would like to clarify if it works only with chrome and not with
Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Provided you have a recent version of Windows and Firefox, it definitely works in Firefox.

I cannot, and will not speak to Internet Explorer beyond what is below:

Why You Should Dump Internet Explorer | Daniel Miessler        (Dec 2019)

The perils of using Internet Explorer as your default browser ...            (March 2019 – straight from the proverbial horse’s mouth)

Microsoft cybersecurity expert: Please, stop using Internet ...  (Feb 2019)

Microsoft security chief: IE is not a browser, so stop using ...     (Feb 2019)

Microsoft wants you to stop using Internet Explorer                    (Feb 2019)

12 reasons not to use Internet Explorer, ever | Computerworld  (June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not unless no other browser will work, which is almost never these days.

Arlene

I don’t know myself what Browser Google meets will work with. I don’t have firefox. I do have Google Chrome Edge and IE.  I think it will work very well with Chrome. I don’t think it matters what you use. Just as long as you have an updated browser.  Like I said earlier. I never used it.

[...]

It is advisable to use google hang outs with chrome. I've had to do that now for several meetings I've ben involved with, and it works quite well.
If not chrome then maybe brave as that is chromium based.

On 3 Jun 2020, at 10:56, Arlene wrote:

[...]

Dear all,

I am sorry to write back on the list again asking for help with the
Hangouts app. I tried with the Google Chrome web browser and am still
experiencing difficulty in signing in and joining a call. Perhaps I
may not be doing it right since this is the first time I had to use
it. Please guide me further to familiarise myself with it and use its
features effectively.
Your assistance is highly appreciated.

Regards,

Sultana

It is advisable to use google hang outs with chrome. I've had to do
that now for several meetings I've ben involved with, and it works quite
well.
If not chrome then maybe brave as that is chromium based.
[website.](http://www.tffppodcast.com)

and you can also [follow us on twitter](http://twitter.com/tffppodcast)

Our [discord](http://discord.tffppodcast.com) is where you will know
when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give
the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit [my main lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum) and my [tffp lbry
page](http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast) You will also be able to buy some of
my products and eBooks there.

[here](Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast)

On 3 Jun 2020, at 10:56, Arlene wrote:

I don’t know myself what Browser Google meets will work with. I
don’t have firefox. I do have Google Chrome Edge and IE. I think it
will work very well with Chrome. I don’t think it matters what you
use. Just as long as you have an updated browser. Like I said
earlier. I never used it.

Sent from [Mail](<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>) for
Windows 10

Daniel Miessler](<https://danielmiessler.com/blog/dumpie/>)

...**](<https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/the-perils-of-using-internet-explorer-as-your-default-browser/ba-p/331732>)

...](<https://mashable.com/article/microsoft-stop-using-internet-explorer-browser/>)

...](<https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-security-chief-ie-is-not-a-browser-so-stop-using-it-as-your-default/>)

**Explorer**](<https://www.techworm.net/2019/02/microsoft-internet-explorer.html>)

Computerworld](<https://www.computerworld.com/article/2470270/12-reasons-not-to-use-internet-explorer--ever.html>)

(June 2011 – Even more valid now)

And if you web search on “Why you should not use Internet
Explorer” the list of returned results is long, and virtually
unanimous in the expert (and non-expert) opinion that you should not
unless no other browser will work, which is almost never these days.

\--

Brian **-** Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363

_**Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its
platform. Now, you simply declare your own truth.**_

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in _New York Times_ article, [_How
Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United
States_](<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>)

_,_ September 23, 2019

Sultana,

            More information is needed as far as what you mean by "call."   The Hangouts App supports making phone calls (in certain countries), participating in Hangouts calls (voice only), participating in Hangouts video calls, and sending text messages if you have a Google Voice number associated with Hangouts.

            If you are using the Hangouts App with the Google Chrome browser, and are logged in to the browser, you are automatically logged in to the same Google Account for the Hangouts app.

            Please offer additional details regarding what it is you're attempting to do.

By the way, I have no difficulty accessing Hangouts using the Hangouts page (hangouts.google.com) under any browser though I also use the Hangouts App under Chrome as well.

Sarah k Alawami

For me all I did was click the link I was given, clicked join, allowed my camera, and that's about it. I just arrowed around etc. Then I clicked join again, you need to do that twice. Read the dialogues carefully as it is a bit confusing.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 11:00 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
For me all I did was click the link I was given, clicked join, allowed my camera, and that's about it.
I have seen this for Google Meet, as it's a competitor to Zoom and others like it, but not for Hangouts, which is a separate thing.  I do know that links are used when establishing video calls, though, as I do that on occasion, but have only ever done so with myself and a single additional participant.

ss sarfudeen

Hi Brian and Sarah,

I would like to be able to make/answer a Hangouts video call and and
also reply to conversations in my contacts. Currently, I am attempting
to do this only with a single participant. When I open the Hangouts
app using Chrome, I am able to see that I am logged in to my Google
account but unable to click the Allow Camera button and answer a video
call. In the same way, I am not able to reply or send a message to a
particular contact. I tried the above using the Firefox browser as
well but with no success. By the way, I have not received a direct
link to join a meeting or a video call.

Another issue I am facing with Google Chrome is that when I open a
page or switch pages, I am unable to go back to the previous page
using the Alt and the left arrow keys.
I hope I have provided some clarity about the issues I am encountering
to seek more guidance.

With thanks and regards,

Sultana

) , September 23, 2019

ss sarfudeen

Dear list members,

I wrote back to the list again two days ago explaining in detail about
the issues I am still encountering with the Hangouts app and
requesting for further guidance. But I have not received any response
from the members yet. I would appreciate if you could respond and
assist me in accomplishing this task.

Thanking you for any and all assistance,

Sultana

) , September 23, 2019