From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Kingett
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 7:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Rounding words in Microsoft Word.

I can't remember if I shared this yet. If I did, oh well, enjoy it again anyway. The link is below.

Blog post in question.

If you like my fiction or nonfiction, donate to my Patreon, which has recently gotten some accessibility improvements.

Cohn, Jonathan

Excuse me, but I can’t determine the relevance of the link from the short amount of text included in this message. Can you let us know the general concept being discussed in this article or channel? I’ll be glad to click on through if it is relevant.

Thanks!

Jonathan

The link below is a keyboard tutorial on automatically rounding words and inserting automatic word counts in your document using a screen reader and the keyboard.

https://blindjournalist.wordpress.com/2020/01/08/automatically-count-words-in-microsoft-word-using-a-screen-reader/

The post offered is interesting, and it involves using the ROUND function, but it still boils down to inserting automatic word counts into a document.

I was completely thrown by the use of "Rounding words" in the topic title.  That terminology still is nonsensical to me even after having read the blog post.  Also, since NumWords (see: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-fields-to-insert-word-count-in-your-document-8696d5ae-25bb-4173-a76f-00f213a2fa63) is an integer value to begin with (as there's no such thing as part of a word) rounding should be unnecessary.

       ~ Madonna

Rui Fontes

If you read the article, you see that is to round to Hundreds of words... So, if you wrote 556 words, will be rounded to 500 or 600 words...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:37 de 05/03/2020, Brian Vogel escreveu:

The post offered is interesting, and it involves using the ROUND function, but it still boils down to inserting automatic word counts into a document.

I was completely thrown by the use of "Rounding words" in the topic title.  That terminology still is nonsensical to me even after having read the blog post.  Also, since NumWords (see: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-fields-to-insert-word-count-in-your-document-8696d5ae-25bb-4173-a76f-00f213a2fa63) is an integer value to begin with (as there's no such thing as part of a word) rounding should be unnecessary.

       ~ Madonna

I did read the article, and the MS support page on ROUND, and it still makes no practical sense, to me, to round to the nearest 100.  If I want a word count, I want an actual word count.  And 556, since it is above 550, should round to the next hundred, 600.

That's not to say that others might not wish to round, but its definitely not necessary.  Nor, in my experience, is it customary.

       ~ Madonna

Short reply because I'm editing my novel, the rounding is mainly for writers when submitting to professional markets. they want rounded words in your document and cover letter when submitting fiction to literary agents, publishers, and otherwise. It's a writer post, for writers, but I figured some non writer people would find field tutorials useful and or rounding the word count helpful. Even if you're not a writer, rounding the word count can come in handy. By the way,

Thanks to all who donated to my Patreon! Thanks to me, Patreon is working on accessibility. My Patreon page is here if you want to help fund disability fiction. Links to reward explanations are under the about heading, heading level 2.

Sarah k Alawami

My profs at UNLv would do that, drove me nuts. I wrote 430 words and they said I failed as I only wrote 40 400 etc et etc. Yeah it was quite annoying and I remember those days. Thanks for the tops I will be trying this out maybe, if I have to at school in a few months.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page