Running NVDA on macOS using parallels

Saylor Cooper

Hello NVDA users,

I am considering switching to Mac OS but at the same time, I’m hesitant on giving up my favorite windows programs. I know I can run windows using parallels with the new max so therefore, would NVDA work on the virtual machine when running it? Please let me know.

Saylor Cooper

The only data point I can give you is in relation to JAWS, which is what was in use on the Mac using Bootcamp at the time I was working with the client, but that worked just fine.  I can see no reason that NVDA should not work under a Windows VM on a Mac.  We would jump between MacOS (or maybe it was OSX, I really can't recall right now, but it was within the last 5 years, and Windows 10 was the Windows version on the VM) and Windows without issue.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jonathan COHN

Hello,
Of course five year old data will not help in this case, since the user is thinking of purchasing a non-intel Macintosh. I know this would not be obvious unless you were a Macintosh user.
First, there is at least one person running Windows on a M1  based Macintosh with parallel and using a screen reader. I believe they are using JAWS though. My understanding of Parallel is that its user interface is not accessible to voiceover but that you don't need to use it once the VM is set up. I do recommend that you think closely about if a Mac is your right choice and I say this as somebody who uses a Mac on a daily basis and has for 30 years. I suggest you discuss your reasons for wanting to switch to a Macintosh on the MacVisionaries mailing list that is run by Google Groups.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

On Nov 20, 2021, at 10:43, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

The only data point I can give you is in relation to JAWS, which is what was in use on the Mac using Bootcamp at the time I was working with the client, but that worked just fine.  I can see no reason that NVDA should not work under a Windows VM on a Mac.  We would jump between MacOS (or maybe it was OSX, I really can't recall right now, but it was within the last 5 years, and Windows 10 was the Windows version on the VM) and Windows without issue.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Sarah k Alawami

OH yes it will. I used to use vmware way back in 2017. I have no clue if you need to modify the capslock key but if you do it should be no big deal really. You can use something like sharpkeys to remap that under the windows environment.