Topics

Saving application settings

sarabrennan@...

Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the manual a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs to be created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific application but when do I choose the settings & save?

Thanks

Andre Fisher

After the profile has been created via the Configuration profiles
dialog, you should configure your settings, such as changing the
voice, etc. For an application specific profile, the settings are
saved when the application closes, and the profile is reloaded when
the app starts up.

On 3/27/16, sarabrennan@... <sarabrennan@...> wrote:
Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the manual
a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs to be
created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific application but
when do I choose the settings & save?

Thanks

Patrick Le Baudour

Hi,

once you have created and set your configuration profile to start with your application, you just have to chenge the settings while that profile is active (either triggered by being in the application or manually). It is saved automatically when you leave the profile or nvda (unless there's a craash, of course).

-- Patrick

Le 27/03/2016 14:49, sarabrennan@... a écrit :
Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the
manual a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs
to be created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific
application but when do I choose the settings & save?

Thanks

Well unless you change it, it automatically saves on exit.

On 28/03/2016 1:49 a.m., sarabrennan@... wrote:
Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the manual a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs to be created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific application but when do I choose the settings & save?

Thanks

Chris Mullins

Calling them application settings may lead to confusion as NVDA refers to them as configuration settings. Whether configuration settings are saved on exit or not is governed by the 'Save configuration on exit' check box in the General settings dialog (NVDA+Control+g). If you elect to uncheck this setting, NVDA+Control+c will save the current configuration.

Cheers
Chris

Well unless you change it, it automatically saves on exit.

On 28/03/2016 1:49 a.m., sarabrennan@... wrote:
Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the manual a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs to be created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific application but when do I choose the settings & save?

Thanks

Gene

As I recall, save configuration settings on exit used to be unchecked by default.  I haven't looked for quite awhile.  Are people saying that settings are now saved on exit by default?  If so, that’s a really bad idea because it may lead to lots of inadvertently saved changes.  People may change something intending the change to be temporary and find it unintentionally being saved.

Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 1:25 PM

Calling them application settings may lead to confusion as NVDA refers to them as configuration settings.  Whether configuration settings are saved on exit or not is governed by the 'Save configuration on exit' check box in the General settings dialog (NVDA+Control+g).  If you elect to uncheck this setting, NVDA+Control+c will save the current configuration.

Cheers
Chris
Well unless you change it, it automatically saves on exit.

On 28/03/2016 1:49 a.m., sarabrennan@... wrote:
> Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the manual a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs to be created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific application but when do I choose the settings & save?
>
> Thanks

Hmmm I have used a stable config, I do have app profiles for some stuff but to be honest I have not had a problem.

On 28/03/2016 7:34 a.m., Gene wrote:
[...]

Yes, for about 3 years now, the checkbox is checked by default. I must
say it might pose some problems, but find it to be the standard as it
relates to screen readers when closed and opened.

On 3/27/16, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
[...]

Thank you!!

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

I do have a audio tutorial on my nvda audio tutorials page called How to create different configuration profiles using NVDA

I only covered using a application to trigger different profiles in NVDA

Joseph done one that covered more like say all and there was one other, that I forget, but the one I did would be more well used.
The link to this page is http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20audio%20tutorials.html
It covers setting up 4 profiles. I can not remember if there is a written one also I would have to check.

Gene nz

On 28-Mar-16 1:49 AM, sarabrennan@... wrote:

Does anyone know how to save application settings in NVDA. I find the manual a bit confusing when it comes to this...I believe a profile needs to be created and I would like that it be triggered by a specific application but when do I choose the settings & save?

Thanks

afrim maja <afrim.maja@...>

I will definitely have a look at them

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 30, 2016, at 3:11 AM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

[...]

I just looked I don't see a written one or can not find one. I thought I had written one and uploaded it a while back.

The audio one should get you up and running though. Tonight I wrote up how to do or how to make a configuration profile with NVDA. It is more on how to do it and is application triggered when you go into that application. For example microsoft word. It also covers deleting out that profile and is on what I use all of the time.

It needs tidying up but hopefully is basic enough to follow to make a configuration profile.
Just let me know if you are interested and I can send to you.
if i ca not find any reference to one on my website in a written format once tidied up it will be uploaded to my website.
It does not cover the say all part to trigger it or manual part.

Gene nz

On 30-Mar-16 5:56 PM, Afrim wrote:
[...]

Thank you, I will have a look at the audio tutorial

Sent from my iPhone