From: Declan Meenagh
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2021 7:07 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Say all in word working in a strange way

Hello everyone.

Has anyone got the issue where after you hit say all (insert + down arrow) and want to pause you hit down or right arrow and instead of moving cursor to the bottom it moves it to the point where you started say all. This is happening in large documents that are hard to navigate. Is there a way to move the cursor to the end of the text?

I’m on windows 10 and office 365.

Thanks.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Declan,

I think you may be working in NVDA, is that right?

I recently had a  similar issue and I realised that if I stop “Say All” with down-arrow or any other key, the cursor reverts to its last known position, which was usually the start of “Say All”. The only way to get close to retaining the stopped position was to press the left or right control key once. This stops NVDA speaking without interfering with the cursor. I noticed that I would invariably find the active point at the beginning of the current line if not at the actual last word spoken.  This seemingly inaccurate behaviour has to do with the speed of the cursor navigator and the relatively slower response of the screen reader.

Perhaps you could raise this tomorrow at the FB-Exchange meeting?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Has anyone got the issue where after you hit say all (insert + down arrow) and want to pause you hit down or right arrow and instead of moving cursor to the bottom it moves it to the point where you started say all. This is happening in large documents that are hard to navigate. Is there a way to move the cursor to the end of the text?

I’m on windows 10 and office 365.

Thanks.

Chris Mullins

Hi

Gene is correct, you use the shift key as a pause toggle when using the Say All command.  Pressing the control key stops the Say All command and it appears to leave the cursor at the point that Say All has red to.

Cheers

Chris