Topics

Say next and previous sentence not working in Word

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, all,

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

benmoxey@...

Hi Cearbhall

The next and previous sentence commands should be working as normal in Word. However, note that they will not work if you are using Browse mode in a Word document to navigate by headings etc. Ensure you are in Focus mode by using the toggle command, NVDA + Space, and give them another try.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best.

Ben

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Tony Malykh

I am not sure why built-in navigation is not working for you, but I just wanted to point out that I have an add-on SentenceNav, that recently I made to work with MS Word. It uses the same keystrokes Alt+UP/Down to navigate between sentences. You need to enable MS Word support in add-on settings.

Download:

https://github.com/mltony/nvda-sentence-nav/releases/download/v2.9/SentenceNav-2.9.nvda-addon

On 1/3/2021 7:43 AM, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Hi, all,

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Ben,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I have downloaded the add-on today called “SentenceNav” and another called “TextNav”. These do the job. So, in response to your suggestion, I restarted NVDA with add-ons disabled. This eliminated the functions provided by those two apps. I could now try out your suggestio. In Outlook, I found that you were right. When I switched to the active cursor with NVDA + space, the sentence commands did work. However, they failed to work in NS, Word. Any ideas?

I restarted the two add-ons and now I have the sentence reading controls in both Word and Outlook!

I would like to hear from the developers why this strange behaviour is happening.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

benmoxey@...

Hi Cearbhall

I forgot to mention that I am running Office 365, rather than 2016. I don’t think this will make a difference, but it would be interesting to hear from someone running 2016 to clarify if navigating by sentence is working for them using Alt + up or Down arrow.

Cheers

Ben

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Tony,

I’m so grateful for your two add-ons! They solve the problem to which there seems to be no answer.

I am now happily navigating by sentence as I wanted to. I’ll try the movement by paragraph later with the TextNav add-on.

Good work!

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

In fact, I am running Office 2016 so you have your answer!

[...]

Bob Cavanaugh

I just happen to have a word document open as I’m reading this, running office 2016 as well, and I get the same result. alt plus up or down arrow does not move by sentence.

[...]

Hahaha Good point! Sorry, I meant, someone else!

[...]

harshad solanki

Now Sentence nav needs improvements. It works properly with older
version of nvda v19.2, but not with latest one. It misses many words
from the beginning of the sentences while reading Unicode based
languages like Gujarati and Hindi. It Also makes too much gaps between
sentences while reading long literature.

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using
alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn
on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this
function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it
still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and
alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

benmoxey@...

Hi Bob and Cearbhall

To add to the mystery, I just checked on a work PC running NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016. Sentence navigation is working for me using Alt + Up or Down arrow.

I realised that Tony’s add-on has come to the rescue, but I’m interested to know if either of you have tried the commands in several documents, just to ensure it’s not document specific. Also, have you tried using both Alt keys, just to make sure it’s not to do with a regional keyboard setting?

Cheers

Ben

[...]

No, I haven't. I didn't even know about this command until yesterday,
and only tried it in the one document. I was working with another
document last night that I will have to try it in. I also just used
the one key.