saying column headings

Howard Traxler

Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new cell.  I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading announcements.  Would someone please remind me how to get to that setting and turn it off?

Thank you very much.

Howard

Monte Single

Hi Howard,
Open the nvda menu and choose settings, go down to "document formatting" Tab through the choices, there are a lot, and select the ones you do or no not want. Taqb through and choose ok.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: November 27, 2021 6:38 AM
To: NVDA <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] saying column headings

Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new cell. I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading announcements. Would someone please remind me how to get to that setting and turn it off?

Thank you very much.

Howard

Gene

You can open settings in the NVDA menu and down arrow to document presentation and then tab through settings.  You can also use the short cut NVDA control d, which opens the same thing, document pressentation and tab. 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 6:37 AM
To: NVDA

Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table
on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new
cell.  I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading
announcements.  Would someone please remind me how to get to that
setting and turn it off?

Thank you very much.

Howard

Gene

I meant to say document formatting.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] saying column headings

You can open settings in the NVDA menu and down arrow to document presentation and then tab through settings.  You can also use the short cut NVDA control d, which opens the same thing, document pressentation and tab. 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 6:37 AM
To: NVDA

Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table
on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new
cell.  I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading
announcements.  Would someone please remind me how to get to that
setting and turn it off?

Thank you very much.

Howard

Howard Traxler

Thank you Monte, a quick solution.  There are so many menus to traverse in NVDA, I'm sure it would have taken much time to find this one.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 6:43 AM, Monte Single wrote:
Hi Howard,
Open the nvda menu and choose settings, go down to "document formatting" Tab through the choices, there are a lot, and select the ones you do or no not want. Taqb through and choose ok.

Sent: November 27, 2021 6:38 AM

Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new cell. I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading announcements. Would someone please remind me how to get to that setting and turn it off?

Thank you very much.

Howard

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Howard,

Go to the document settings and find the table group , it's quite a long way down the list of items. You can turn off the reading of row and column headings and leave the other table settings on by leaving the Table tag checked.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 12:38 PM

Thank you very much.

Howard

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Gene

It might not have taken much time.  The names of the categories as you down arrow are reasonably descriptive.  Browse mode does what it says, sets various parameters for browse mode such as the line length and whether NVDA goes into browse mode automatically when a page loads.  Speech is obvious,Braille, the same, vision applies to how things are shown visually, etc. 

I’m going into this because it is often easy to guess what setting will be where.  Document formatting may not be exactly clear but it has settings that determine what you hear about document formatting and layout such as, attributes, such as italics and elements in browse mode such as headings, links, etc.  I don’t know what every category does  but the ones I don’t know are ones I never or almost never use.

Keeping in mind what I said, it will often be much faster to look through settings to find something than writing to a list and waiting for an answer, 

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 6:52 AM

Thank you Monte, a quick solution.  There are so many menus to traverse
in NVDA, I'm sure it would have taken much time to find this one.

Howard

> Hi Howard,
> Open the nvda menu and choose settings, go down to "document formatting"  Tab through the choices, there are a lot, and select the ones you do or no not want.  Taqb through and choose ok.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
> Sent: November 27, 2021 6:38 AM
> To: NVDA <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: [nvda] saying column headings
>
> Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new cell.  I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading announcements.  Would someone please remind me how to get to that setting and turn it off?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Howard
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Gene

Also, I’m not saying there is anything wrong with asking but it it is often more efficient to look where you think or guess something will be and it helps familiarize you with settings, thus making future searches for settings faster and easier.  You may also learn about settings you might want to use that you didn’t know about.

Gene

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 7:04 AM

It might not have taken much time.  The names of the categories as you down arrow are reasonably descriptive.  Browse mode does what it says, sets various parameters for browse mode such as the line length and whether NVDA goes into browse mode automatically when a page loads.  Speech is obvious,Braille, the same, vision applies to how things are shown visually, etc. 

I’m going into this because it is often easy to guess what setting will be where.  Document formatting may not be exactly clear but it has settings that determine what you hear about document formatting and layout such as, attributes, such as italics and elements in browse mode such as headings, links, etc.  I don’t know what every category does  but the ones I don’t know are ones I never or almost never use.

Keeping in mind what I said, it will often be much faster to look through settings to find something than writing to a list and waiting for an answer, 

Gene
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 6:52 AM

Thank you Monte, a quick solution.  There are so many menus to traverse
in NVDA, I'm sure it would have taken much time to find this one.

Howard

> Hi Howard,
> Open the nvda menu and choose settings, go down to "document formatting"  Tab through the choices, there are a lot, and select the ones you do or no not want.  Taqb through and choose ok.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
> Sent: November 27, 2021 6:38 AM
> To: NVDA <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Subject: [nvda] saying column headings
>
> Using Win10 and Google Chrome with NVDA, when I go down through a table on a website, the column heading is announced each time I move to a new cell.  I know there is a setting in NVDA to stop these heading announcements.  Would someone please remind me how to get to that setting and turn it off?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Howard
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>