scheduling a recurring Zoom meeting with NVDA

Bob Cavanaugh

Hi all,
Does anyone know how to schedule a recurring Zoom meeting using NVDA?
I can check the box that says that the meeting is a recurring meeting,
but then Zoom says "this is a recurring meeting, meet anytime." I'm
looking for a solution where I can keep the same meeting link every
month, but also have the meeting date and time show up in the invite.
I know this can be done, as a friend of mine runs a meeting at the
same time on the first Saturday of the month, and the invite shows a
series of dates. She has some vision and also has JAWS installed, so
can't help me all that much. Apparently, after checking the recurring
meeting box in JAWS, a time picker shows up. Does anyone have any
experience with this in NVDA?
Thanks,
Bob

Carlos Medrano

Not sure if this is much help, but I've done this before by using the zoom-> google calendar integration. It's possible to configure events (meetings) the same way you do any other event if you link Google Calendar with your zoom account. I think it's also possible by linking Outlook as well.

On 5/25/2022 12:53 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to schedule a recurring Zoom meeting using NVDA?
I can check the box that says that the meeting is a recurring meeting,
but then Zoom says "this is a recurring meeting, meet anytime." I'm
looking for a solution where I can keep the same meeting link every
month, but also have the meeting date and time show up in the invite.
I know this can be done, as a friend of mine runs a meeting at the
same time on the first Saturday of the month, and the invite shows a
series of dates. She has some vision and also has JAWS installed, so
can't help me all that much. Apparently, after checking the recurring
meeting box in JAWS, a time picker shows up. Does anyone have any
experience with this in NVDA?
Thanks,
Bob

Sarah k Alawami

I remember doing this via the zoom app itself, but that was in 2020 when I organized a reading group for my local neighborhood for the children. I would have to look back at how I did this.

[...]

Please do look into that Sara.

[...]

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Bob and all,
You have two ways of scheduling a zoom meeting.
Either you use the zoom desktop application or you use the web interface.
1. With the zoom app
You will be able to scheduling a recurring meeting but not how often it will happen.
1. In the first tab of zoom, tab until you hear something like schedule a new meeting.
2. Hit enter.
3. You will have to type the meeting subject. NVDA does not always speak what you type. So you should use tab and shift+tab to update what NVDA pronounces. May be you should select what is proposed by default, by typing ctrl+a, and write your own subject.
4. When you tab, you can choose the meeting date. By default, Zoom displays today's date and time. Tab to reach the month. NVDA announces, "month and something like rotating button". Use up and down arrows in order to be sure that the month you want is selected.
5. Use tab again and choose the day you want with up and down arrows.
6. When you tab again, you can select the year.
7. When tabbing again you can reach the time you wish. Note that the first zone is the actual time, you cannot modify it. Tab again and you will hear the hours and with another tab, the minutes. You still can use up and down arrows to select hours and minutes. NVDA should speak what you are modifying with up and down arrows.
8. When tabbing again, you can select how long the meeting should last. One hour, for example. You still can modify this with up and down arrows. NVDA does not always update what is changing so that you should use tab and shift+tab to be sure you have selected the right length.
9. Tab again until you hear recurring meeting, checkbox unchecked. Check it with the space bar.
You will hear an alert that you should ensure that your calendar can schedule such a meeting. Mine is linked to Outlook but you can also link to google or any other calendar.
In my case, Outlook asked me to confirm the meeting and I can choose if the meeting should occur every week, or month.
2. When using zoom in a browser
When you connect to Zoom, you can look for the meetings' tab and look for your next meeting.
You also have a link to schedule a new meeting.
If you have saved it in the zoom app, you will find this meeting on the zoom page.
You will have a heading 3 with a link to start the meeting.
You can then read the subject of the meeting then the time.
Under this you can read something like recurring.
After that you have "add to" and links to Google agenda, Outlook calendar .ics, or yahoo calendar.
When you click on google, for example, a new window will open asking you to connect to your Google account.
Google asks to confirm that you accept that zoom shares this information with google.
Select "continue".
You will then find a form with your meeting, you can select the time, the length and then you have a drop down list where you can choose if the meeting should occur once, every day, every week, every month, every year....
Then you can select who you want to invite to this meeting. What the invited people may do (modify meeting, invite others ....)
You can choose when sending the notification and how (by e-mail for example)
Then you have to go back to find the button save and you have your meeting.
I hope this can help.
Otherwise do not hesitate to ask.
Best
Sylvie

Bob Cavanaugh

So, there's no way to do it within Zoom itself, the scheduling has to
be done with your calendar of choice? I'll try the web interface, as
in the invite that my friend sends, there is usually a link to a
calendar invite, which I've never seen before.

On 5/30/22, Sylvie Duchateau <sduchateau@...> wrote:
[...]

I should say, never seen in my own meetings before.

On 5/30/22, Bob Cavanaugh via groups.io <cavbob1993@...> wrote:
[...]

Yep they are sure there. I had a calendar invite when I had the free account option a while ago, maybe that has changed now?

[...]

Typically, what I will do is schedule the meeting, but when Outlook
opens my calendar, I just close it without saving that invite. If the
meeting is only one time, the date and time will be in the text of the
invite, but from what you guys are telling me and what I've seen, that
may only be the case if Zoom is authenticated with Google Calendar.
I'll have to play around with Zoom a bit more and see if I can see
upcoming one time meetings scheduled for future dates, and if that is
the case, I'll have to call her and see if she sees the meeting in
question when she opens Zoom. I'll report back either later today or
tomorrow.

wrote:
[...]

The following is from my friend with my comments. She is running JAWS
and this is what she sees as she tabs through the schedule meeting
dialog. Perhaps does a ticket need to be put in for this?
Meeting Title
Add description link I usually tab past, NVDA doesn't even see this
Choose date
Select start time
Select start time unit
Select duration hours minutes
Select time zone, again NVDA completely skips over
Recurring check box
Select recurrence type radio button
      first option a specified interval
       Second option something like On and then combo boxes for
first..last and then for day of the week. NVDA sees none of this.
end date another Radio button either specify a date or after combo box
occurrences again NVDA doesn't see this
registration required checkbox, again not shown by NVDA. After that is
meeting ID and security options, which NVDA reads fine.

wrote:
[...]

Luke Davis

Bob, have you tried the Zoom Enhancements add-on, and does it have an effect on this? Sorry if that was already answered.

What you described does seem buggish to me, especially with the Jaws results you've demonstrated.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

Odd, I remember seeing this, but at the time I Had a paid account. Maybe that's the difference?
Update: I see all of that, so maybe something corrupted in your zoom or copy of nvda. Run the reg tool in nvda and see if that helps. I even see "schedule from outlook" and "schedule from google. Also go to your profile in zoom and check for updates.

Good luck.

wrote:
[...]

Luke, to answer your question, my friend and I were talking about this
and I brought it up. I downloaded and installed the addon, while
waiting for her to send me what she saw with JAWS, and it didn't make
any difference.
Sarah, so you're saying you saw all of what JAWS shows within Zoom
using NVDA? I've never seen it, whether on a free or paid account,
across two computers. I do see the radio buttons that ask what
calendar I wish to use, and I presume that if I didn't discard the
invite once Outlook opened, I'd be able to schedule it as a recurring
meeting with the parameters I want, but that only adds it to my
Outlook calendar. If I use the mobile app on my phone, something
similar happens, as the dates I want are added to my phone's calendar,
but Zoom still shows as a recurring meeting meeting anytime. With this
setup, the meeting invite that is copied to the clipboard and is what
I usually send out doesn't show any date or time information, which
basically puts me in the same situation I'm in now where I have to
remember to add the date and time information in manually.

wrote:
[...]

No, I'm seeing all of the fields as described, at least for now, until something changes. Did you check for updates in zoom itself as it will not auto update.

wrote:
[...]

I've gotten auto updates from Zoom, I got one about three weeks ago.
I'll try com registration fix as well, maybe that will help. I've
never used that before. One other oddity, I tried the same thing using
Narrator and it didn't see the mentioned fields either, acted the same
as NVDA.

wrote:
[...]

Update, Com registration fix didn't help at all.

wrote:
[...]

Sarah,
You said you could see all the fields in Zoom with NVDA. What does
Zoom give you for calendar options? It gives me Outlook, Google, and
Other, but even on other it won't allow me to choose the time. My
friend said she set hers up directly with her Google account, and she
isn't even asked about which calendar she wants to use.

wrote:
[...]

I'm not actually sure. I can schedule it with google and the last time I tried, I could choose a time. This now looks to be the same.