Topics

Screen Curtain

Greg Rhodes

Default to toggle screen curtain on appears to be the Down Arrow. How do I set an alternate keyboard shortcut for toggling screen curtain on and off? Not finding directions to do this in the User Manual or NVDA Basics book. Thanks.

Greg

Tyler Spivey

Since you can't use your down arrow, try:

1. Hit the reset button in that dialog to reset all your custom gestures, or

2. Use NVDA+f2 before hitting the down arrow to pass it through.

Once you're on the gesture you want to remove the key from, expand it and go down to the key inside it. Hit remove.

Now, to add the correct one, go back to the gesture and hit add.

It'll ask you what gesture you want. Press it.

Then from the menu that comes up, pick what keyboard layout you want. All layouts is a good choice. Note that if you enter the wrong key, hitting escape in the menu will still add the key, so hit Remove and try again in that case.

On 2/15/2020 11:19 AM, Greg Rhodes wrote:

Greg

The only thing I can think of is to reset your settings. I don't know if that will make key assignments revert to what they were previously.

To avoid this problem in the future, only press the keys you want assigned when you get to the specific area for this action to be done. I use ctrl+shift+NVDA+F12. It is a combinaiton you cannot press by accident. Hopefully this helps you.

On 2/15/2020 2:19 PM, Greg Rhodes wrote:

Greg

Quentin Christensen

Hi Greg,

There is no default keystroke for Screen Curtain.  If yours is set to down arrow, it might be that you tried to assign a keystroke and accidentally assigned down arrow?

To set (or remove) a keystroke for Screen Curtain (and I'll list the steps without using down arrow for you, just in case):

1) Press NVDA+n to open the NVDA menu
2) Press P for Preferences
3) Press N for Input Gestures.  The Input Gestures dialog appears.  From here you can either navigate the tree view of commands or filter to a specific command.  To use filter, press shift+tab then type the name of the command.  Note that there is now an option to reset ALL custom gestures back to their default.  To access that feature, from here, press alt+d for "Reset to factory defaults", then alt+y to answer "yes".  However, I'll walk you through browsing to the Screen Curtain command next:
4) Press V to jump to the "Vision" options.
5) Press right arrow to open the vision options.
6) Press T (or down arrow) to "Toggle the state of the screen curtain").
7) If you have assigned down arrow, press D to move down to the down arrow assignment
8) Press ALT+R to remove the assignment.
9) Press ALT+A to add a new keystroke
10) Press ONLY the keystroke to add.
11) Press ENTER to assign the keystroke for only the current keyboard layout, or down arrow then enter to select ALL layouts.
12) Press ENTER to close the dialog.
13) Press NVDA+control+c to save the NVDA configuration.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 6:19 AM Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@...> wrote:

Greg