screen curtain and saving battery

Kareen

Hi all. In my previous laptops there was the option to turn off the display by pressing a key combination. But, with my new laptop which is from the Dell brand this option is not available unfortunately. I want to know about the screen curtain feature in NVDA does enabling it saves battery or it is only meant  for privacy purposes? also, does anyone knows of a way to have the screen really turned off, i mean to have an option similar to what is present in many laptops
I am interested in turning off the display to make the battery last longer.
Thank you

hi. what is your previous laptop cpu generation?
if i am correct, the laptops which support vga displays, we can turn
off the screen.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Gene

Whether you can turn off the screen or not, you can dim the screen to a point where, I would think, little power would be used and the screen being on would have a negligible effect on running time per charge.

Gene

On 6/7/22, Kareen <kareen.kiwan@...> wrote:
Hi all. In my previous laptops there was the option to turn off the display
by pressing a key combination. But, with my new laptop which is from the
Dell brand this option is not available unfortunately. I want to know about
the screen curtain feature in NVDA does enabling it saves battery or it is
only meant  for privacy purposes? also, does anyone knows of a way to have
the screen really turned off, i mean to have an option similar to what is
present in many laptops
I am interested in turning off the display to make the battery last longer.
Thank you

Kareen

Zahra my old laptop was with a 4th generation CPU but i think until
now many laptop brands still include a keyboard shortcut to turn off
the screen but unfortunately my Dell is not having this keyboard
shortcut.
Gene i think that depends on the brightness level you are allowed to
reach on the laptop. I set the brightness to 0% but according to
sighted help the screen is still viewable. I don't have any experience
about this but i remember someone had posted a way to add a keyboard
shortcut to NVDA to turn off the touch pad and it is working perfectly
well on my device that is also lacking a shortcut to enable this
option I hope that there is a possibility to do that to the display as
well.
and back to my original question: how does screen curtain in NVDA work?
thank you

On 6/7/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Where did the sighted person look at the screen?  Was it dark in the room or was there light from other sources?  Others may comment but I would think that if you set the brightness as low as you can, little or very little battery power would be used by the small amount of light shown.

Gene

On 6/7/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the backlighting.  That definitely saves some power, but not as much as could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Kareen

Thanks Brian, if this is possible that will be very useful. I don't
know why Dell's laptops are missing all of those useful shortcuts.
Actually you don't know the importance of something until you lose it.

Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in it
does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the backlighting.  That
definitely saves some power, but not as much as could be if the backlighting
were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's possible to
disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or PowerShell files
that are "short and sweet."

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing
exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the
well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Kareen,

I am still exploring whether this can be accomplished programmatically using scripts, but one tech gave a workable solution if you are willing/able to purchase an inexpensive ($6.99) HDMI Dummy Monitor plug.

See: https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/completely-turning-off-a-display-laptop-in-particular.88545/post-737258

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Jacob Kruger

Wasn't going to join in here since it's not necessarily NVDA-related, but, if you hit windows key + P on machines from, I think, windows 7 upwards, and then select second screen only, as if you were opting to use only a secondary video card, even if you don't have one in place, it might in fact turn off primary display as such.

As in, this used to work, but, the only real risk is that if something goes wrong, not sure you can undo this too easily - as in, if something else on your PC crashed, you might then need to boot into safe mode to undo the tweak.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

On 2022-06-07 06:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the backlighting.  That definitely saves some power, but not as much as could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Jacob,

That doesn't work anymore, at least since Windows 10 and possibly Windows 8.1.  That's the reason devices like the HDMI dummy monitor dongle came into existence.

If Windows does not detect a second display, and you attempt to use it only, it will automatically switch back to the primary display.  I have to believe this decision was made because so often people would, somehow, redirect output to a non-existent second display and have a complete meltdown when they lost the one and only display they always expected to be there.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Jacob Kruger

Ok, Brian, thanks for clearing that up.

Honestly, the only reason knew about this in the first place was since before NVDA offered a screen curtain, this was a form of workaround in terms of privacy from sighted folks around you.

And, actually, while have a couple of the HDMI dummy dongles lying around - for other implementations with other forms of PC's that don't run windows, hadn't even thought about this - will archive it in my memory.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

On 2022-06-07 07:10 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Jacob,

That doesn't work anymore, at least since Windows 10 and possibly Windows 8.1.  That's the reason devices like the HDMI dummy monitor dongle came into existence.

If Windows does not detect a second display, and you attempt to use it only, it will automatically switch back to the primary display.  I have to believe this decision was made because so often people would, somehow, redirect output to a non-existent second display and have a complete meltdown when they lost the one and only display they always expected to be there.

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Kareen

thank you very much Brian i really appreciate it. Honestly this is not
important for me to the point that i spend money on solving it. in
fact the reply on the suggestion is exactly what i want a software
solution that can disable and enable the screen like what is the case
with the laptops containing the keyboard shortcut where when you do
the same shortcut things are normal again or when you do a restart.
Btw just a curious question: what was the way used to add the touchpad
toggle to NVDA i am unable to know what is exactly done. I am sorry i
know those 2 things are not really that related.

On 2022-06-07 06:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in
it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the
backlighting.  That definitely saves some power, but not as much as
could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's
possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or
PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."

/Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity,
nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor
by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed./

~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Luke Davis

Something here might help:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-quickest-ways-turn-computer-screen-windows/

Apparently this is something Dell users have been griping about since at least 2011, if the forums are any indication.

One thing you can probably do, is reduce your "turn off the display" timer to one minute when on battery. At the least that will turn the screen off when you're not actively pushing buttons.

Luke

Suhas D

Hi, I don't think     NVDA  natively supports the toggling of the touchpad. However, you can use the Input Lock addon, which can be found at:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/inputLock.en.html

I'm not sure if the addon is supported on the latest version of NVDA.

Some laptops and notebook computers have keyboard shortcuts to toggle the touchpad. The laptop that I use is a Lenovo Ideapad 330, which has the keyboard shortcut fns(the function key)+ f6 to toggle the touchpad, however the touchpad turns back on, as soon as I reboot/boot the computer.

You could find the keyboard shortcut in the user manual, or you could ask someone to find the key with the touchpad icon on the keyboard.

Hope that helps

Suhas
Sent from Thunderbird

“No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

On 2022-06-07 06:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in
it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the
backlighting.  That definitely saves some power, but not as much as
could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's
possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or
PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."

/Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity,
nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor
by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed./

~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Quentin Christensen

According to https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdacompat.en.html the Input Lock add-on has been updated for NVDA 2022.1 and the latest version should be available from the link previously given.

Windows doesn't offer a general keystroke or function to enable / disable the trackpad - if available, that is generally a function of the driver / laptop.  Similarly to pick up on a point from earlier in the thread, Windows doesn't offer a way for NVDA to turn off the laptop screen, so we have worked around it in the best way we could.  Screen Curtain does what it says on the tin in terms of blacking the screen for privacy, however it is not as effective at battery conservation as completely turning the screen off would be - although effectively displaying all black IS more efficient than say displaying all white would be, so if anything it might help a little.

On 2022-06-07 06:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in
it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the
backlighting.  That definitely saves some power, but not as much as
could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's
possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or
PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."

/Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity,
nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor
by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed./

~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Brian's Mail list account

It depends on the technology of the screen, Those which use just a backlight it makes little difference, those withlocalised brightness or leds it probably will make a difference.
Incidentally, with all this use of synchronising devices and logging in using QRK codes, you will probably find screens need to be always on! Quite how this might affect those of us who do not have screens on our desktops, remains to be seen, hopefully somebody will have thought it through by then!

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Sent from Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net/>

Friedrich Nietzsche <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Nietzsche>

On 2022-06-07 06:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in
it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the
backlighting. That definitely saves some power, but not as much as
could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.

I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's
possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or
PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."

/Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity,
nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor
by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed./

~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Quentin Christensen

Oh my current desktop is very annoying - I need to have the screen on and powered up or the PC won't turn on - it gives a BIOS error and just beeps at me until I turn it on and then back on again (with a monitor running).  When I turn my PC off, the screen will go to sleep, ready to wake back up when it gets a signal again - but when I turn the PC on, it checks for a signal from the monitor before the monitor has a chance to wake up.  So I have to turn the monitor off, then turn the monitor on, then immediately turn the PC on so it checks for a signal while the monitor is on.

Sometimes technology just tries way too hard to be clever!

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 9:22 PM Brian's Mail list account via groups.io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
> [...]

> "...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."
> On 2022-06-07 06:01 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
>
> Screen curtain turns off the actual display part of the screen (as in
> it does go completely black) but it does NOT turn off the
> backlighting.  That definitely saves some power, but not as much as
> could be if the backlighting were turned off, too.
>
> I'm going to ask on another technical forum I haunt whether it's
> possible to disable/enable the display entirely via batch scripts or
> PowerShell files that are "short and sweet."
> --
>
> Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044
>
> /Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity,
> nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor
> by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed./
>
> ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Thank you all for the replies. The touch pad toggle is working well even without the addon, the method provided here in the group before is working perfectly well.
Luke, thanks for sharing the ways. I tried the screen off bat file but it turns on the screen whenever i touch a button on the device so it is not the needed solution.
Quentin, thank you for providing the info about the screen curtain, i should try and see if it makes any difference on my laptop.
It seems for now that there is no software solution for making the display turn off unless the laptop manufacturer is including a shortcut for that.