scroll through?

enes sarıbaş

Hi all,

I  have seen several websites such the Apple store, where you have to check a box or click a button after scrolling through an agreement or text.  With Firefox and NVDA, the website won't recognize that you have read the text and won't allow you to proceed.   Is there  a solution to these fields, or is this yet again something else that I need to purchase a comertial screen reader for?

Gene

If a commercial screen-reader solves the problem, why not use a demo?

Gene

On 9/24/2022 9:38 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi all,

I  have seen several websites such the Apple store, where you have to check a box or click a button after scrolling through an agreement or text.  With Firefox and NVDA, the website won't recognize that you have read the text and won't allow you to proceed.   Is there  a solution to these fields, or is this yet again something else that I need to purchase a comertial screen reader for?

Chris Smart

I'm curious to check this out. Are you sure there isn't a checkbox or button you can activate?
What about Object Nav and simulated left mouse click?

If a commercial screen-reader solves the problem, why not use a demo?

Gene

On 9/24/2022 9:38 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi all,

I have seen several websites such the Apple store, where you have to
check a box or click a button after scrolling through an agreement or
text. With Firefox and NVDA, the website won't recognize that you
have read the text and won't allow you to proceed. Is there a
solution to these fields, or is this yet again something else that I
need to purchase a comertial screen reader for?

I'd be far more inclined to try a different web browser than a different screen reader as the first attempt at problem solving.  It's well known that certain websites "play better" with screen readers when used with specific web browsers.

Again, it would be helpful to have example URLs, as this is very difficult to troubleshoot in the abstract.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Gene

Along with trying another browser, I would suggest moving through the page using NVDA, by repeatedly pressing page down while browse mode is off.  After all, if a site does try to determine whether someone reads an agreement, the only way it can do so is if the person scrolls through it and using page down on a web site while browse mode is off moves you directly through the underlying page so you should be able to fool the site.

Gene

On 9/24/2022 9:51 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

I'd be far more inclined to try a different web browser than a different screen reader as the first attempt at problem solving.  It's well known that certain websites "play better" with screen readers when used with specific web browsers.

Again, it would be helpful to have example URLs, as this is very difficult to troubleshoot in the abstract.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Gene

I'll add that I thought page down moved you through a web page when browse mode is off but experimenting raises the question of whether it does.  Brian should be able to answer the question.  I would expect it to but from playing around with NVDA, I'm not sure it does, yet there must be a way to scroll down a page using the keyboard, working directly with the page.

Gene

On 9/24/2022 9:57 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Just FYI, it seems to me these days that these agreements are generally contained in some sort of "mini-window" of their own that resides on the webpage itself.  I really cannot remember what that object is called, but you have to scroll the text as it's showing within that object or it's not going to recognize it as having been read (even though virtually no one is actually reading, they're just scrolling to the bottom of the text).

Someone who does web coding probably knows what these objects/widgets are actually called, but I don't.  Even the "agree" button or checkbox is often an integrated part of the thing.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Gene

If you can't scroll as I described, you may well be able to if you turn caret browsing on and move with the arrow keys or with page down through the page in that way.  Using Firefox, if I turn caret browsing on, I can move down the screen in those ways.  Whether that makes the web page think I have read the agreement is another question but that is something else to try.

Have browse mode off, caret browsing on and move through the page.

To turn on caret browsing, issue the command f7.  A dialog will come up.  Answer yes.

To turn off caret browsing, use f7 again, you may have to press it more than once,  The same dialog will come up.  This time, answer no.

Gene

On 9/24/2022 10:03 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Gene,

Just FYI, it seems to me these days that these agreements are generally contained in some sort of "mini-window" of their own that resides on the webpage itself.  I really cannot remember what that object is called, but you have to scroll the text as it's showing within that object or it's not going to recognize it as having been read (even though virtually no one is actually reading, they're just scrolling to the bottom of the text).

Someone who does web coding probably knows what these objects/widgets are actually called, but I don't.  Even the "agree" button or checkbox is often an integrated part of the thing.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

enes sarıbaş

No the checkbox only works when hte website detects the mouse has scrolled to a specified point.

On 9/24/2022 9:46 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
I'm curious to check this out. Are you sure there isn't a checkbox or button you can activate?
What about Object Nav and simulated left mouse click?

If a commercial screen-reader solves the problem, why not use a demo?

Gene

On 9/24/2022 9:38 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi all,

I have seen several websites such the Apple store, where you have to
check a box or click a button after scrolling through an agreement or
text. With Firefox and NVDA, the website won't recognize that you
have read the text and won't allow you to proceed. Is there a
solution to these fields, or is this yet again something else that I
need to purchase a comertial screen reader for?

enes sarıbaş

This is really hard to demonstrate.  The TMobile prepaid refill screen has such a box, which was one reason I decided to switch to postpaid and get a much better designed website.  But the Apple IPhone order page when selecting carrier financing also has two checkboxes that you need to scroll to be able to check the box to accept the agreement.

On 9/24/2022 9:51 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

I'd be far more inclined to try a different web browser than a different screen reader as the first attempt at problem solving.  It's well known that certain websites "play better" with screen readers when used with specific web browsers.

Again, it would be helpful to have example URLs, as this is very difficult to troubleshoot in the abstract.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Gene

What happens if you move to that point in browse mode, then use the NVDA move mouse command to where you are on the web page.  What we call the virtual mouse in NVDA, is actually moving the real mouse as far as Windows is concerned, even though you are not moving a physical mouse.  I find times when I can't move the mouse using the NVDA move mouse command but its worth trying.

Gene

On 9/24/2022 10:47 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
No the checkbox only works when hte website detects the mouse has scrolled to a specified point.

On 9/24/2022 9:46 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
I'm curious to check this out. Are you sure there isn't a checkbox or button you can activate?
What about Object Nav and simulated left mouse click?

If a commercial screen-reader solves the problem, why not use a demo?

Gene

On 9/24/2022 9:38 AM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi all,

I  have seen several websites such the Apple store, where you have to
check a box or click a button after scrolling through an agreement or
text.  With Firefox and NVDA, the website won't recognize that you
have read the text and won't allow you to proceed.   Is there a
solution to these fields, or is this yet again something else that I
need to purchase a comertial screen reader for?

.

Hmph.

Yeah strange things.

I was in a rewards program after doing a google test.

I was able to read most things but some address fields appeared weird and there was that checkbox.

Nvda could see its location but couldn't click it, recognise it was a box or say there was a box.

And when clicked there was no feedback and I needed sighted help.

Now since I do test for dolphin I do have their reader.

Maybe jaws can read it but I'd wager it can't not even narator can read it in a chromium based brouser.

If it doesn't work with nvda or narator which are really basic readers using a lot of system stuff jaws may not either.

On 25/09/2022 3:38 am, enes sarıbaş wrote:
Hi all,

I  have seen several websites such the Apple store, where you have to check a box or click a button after scrolling through an agreement or text.  With Firefox and NVDA, the website won't recognize that you have read the text and won't allow you to proceed.   Is there  a solution to these fields, or is this yet again something else that I need to purchase a comertial screen reader for?

I have these types to.

I have to scroll with mouse wheel on the start of them till they are no more intel graphics drivers do this.

I eventually get there but yeah.