Topics

Section Symbol not reading

rae.rankin@...

I am using the latest version of NVDA on Windows 10. The reader is not reading the symbol for Section as the word section. I have updated the Punctuation preference to Level "All" and Preserve "Always". However it is still not reading the symbol properly. Any advice?

Quentin Christensen

Hi there,

You haven't said what program you are trying to read this section symbol in?  The only thing I could think of was a section break in Word?  In Office 365 on Windows 10, NVDA is reading section breaks for me.

If you could give more information on exactly what you are doing and how to recreate the issue, I'm happy to investigate further.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

rae.rankin@...

Quentin,
I'm using the symbol for the word section §. I deal with documents that reference legislation. For example a document (Word, Powerpoint, PDF, etc) says "Article 6, § 3351.4."

I've looked in the punctuation formatting and I can see the symbol in there and have it set to read it always. But it doesn't. It skips the symbol all together.

Thanks,

Rae

Quentin Christensen

Rae,

Mine was set to Level: All.  What that means is it will ONLY get read when the symbol level is set to All.  NVDA+P moves between Symbol levels:
None: No symbols are read
Some: Very common symbols such as % and # are read.
Most: Most symbols are read.
All: Every symbol is read.

So, to have it read at more punctuation levels, set it to something higher on that list - some, for instance.

Regards

Quentin.