Seeking accessible image-based backup tool

Nolan Darilek

Hey folks,

I've been using the old Windows 7 image-based backup tool for a while. Recently, though, it's stopped backing up my system. Every time it fails, claiming the backup catalog is corrupt. This error persists even after I scanned my drive for bad sectors (there aren't any), delete the catalog and rerun the backup, or even reformat the drive completely without the Quick option enabled. I've been all over Google/DDG to no avail, and there just doesn't seem to be a solution.

I've also tried a few image-based backup tools and they all seemed fairly inaccessible. Specifically I tried Macrium, AOEMI, and something called Minitool Shadowmaker whose installer wasn't even accessible. Could be getting spellings wrong but those seem correct.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good, image-based backup tool? Ideally I'd like to just restore my entire drive after a catastrophic event, but given what an absolute pain it's been to find something accessible, I may just switch to File History.

Alternately, are any of the tools I've listed above accessible and I just don't know how to use them? It seems like if I'm needing to restore a backup then the last thing I want to deal with are unlabeled controls and such, but maybe I'm just too entitled.

Thanks.

Richard Kuzma

Good evening,
Try image for windows by teribyte unlimited.
I have been using it for years now and is complete accessible.
It does cost like fourty bucks but I think it is worth it.

[...]

Thanks, I'll try that out.

What's the restoration process like? Looks like it creates bootable media, but is there some other way to do a full image restore accessibly? Thankfully I've never needed to do a full restore, so maybe the old Windows 7 tool isn't even accessible in that regard.

On 12/7/2022 4:11 PM, Richard Kuzma via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Rather intrigued by your errors on the normal back up and restore. Do you use a third party anti virus or have you cleaned the registry of late which might have erased something vital?

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Good morning,
I have never used the boot media to do a restore.
What I do is connect the drive that I am restoring to another pc via usb and do the restore there.
Have done it a few times and it works perfectly.

[...]

Brian Moore

I have used IFW's boot media with narrator which is built in to do restores with no issues.. The shell you get on boot is a little different but quite usable.

It has been a very reliable tool and I have done several bear metal restores with no problems and no sighted assistance.

Brian.

contact me on

Linked in

or

Twitter

Good morning,

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 04:31 AM, Brian Moore wrote:
I have used IFW's boot media with narrator which is built in to do restores with no issues.
-
Do the folks at Terabyte, the makers of Image For Windows, ship the boot media with the product, or is it like most others in that the software has you build your recovery boot media once you've got the backup software installed?

I ask because any boot media for a backup and recovery suite I've ever used has been built on the machine after the suite has been installed, and relies directly on Windows PE as it comes from Microsoft.  I would be thrilled to learn that Windows PE is now shipping with Narrator as part of it, as this would make doing a recovery for a machine with a failed drive possible without sighted assistance.  But I have not recently built recovery boot media or tried firing it up to see if Narrator is now a part of it by default.
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

       ~ Tom Masson

Brian Moore

Hi. Well, like most, as part of the installer, it installs the script to create the windows Pe boot media. However, it does have narrator which I think PE does by default now. I hhave never had occasion to build it from any other source lately but that one works.

Brian.

contact me on

Linked in

or

Twitter

On 2022-12-08 9:43 a.m., Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Windows Defender kept repeatedly flagging something as malware, but whenever I'd access my protection history it was blank. At one point I did see something listed, but it vanished while I watched and I couldn't even get a path or more information. For a while backups failed because they supposedly contained malware, but a scan with Malware Bytes turns up nothing and now Defender scans are blank.

I don't know, I guess it's possible I picked up some vicious malware that's consistently dodging Defender. But I'm not the type to just download lots of random crap and act carelessly. I write and compile lots of code, and I suspect something in some object file somewhere triggered a false positive, was flagged briefly, then found benign after a more rigorous scan. At least, that's what I'm choosing to think.

But I've been all over Google looking for a solution and haven't found one, so I think it's probably time to move on from a backup tool named after an EOL Windows version. I didn't much like that it didn't automatically prune old backups anyway.

On 12/8/2022 12:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Rather intrigued by your errors on the normal back up and restore. Do you use a third party anti virus or have you cleaned the registry of late which might have erased something vital?
Brian

Nolan Darilek

Very good. Thanks folks, I'll give the trial a shot and will buy it if it works out.

Glad to be backing up regularly once again.

On 2022-12-08 4:28 a.m., Richard Kuzma via groups.io wrote:
Good morning,
[...]

This is an aside, but pertinent to this topic.  I know that some folks are using Macrium Reflect backup free, and it's a great product, and I recommended it as accessible for the backup part for screen reader users.  That being said, Macrium has announced that Macrium Reflect Free Version 8.0 is the final version and that it will reach end of life in January 2024.  That gives folks plenty of time to find replacements, but if you're using Macrium Reflect Free, you need to start considering alternatives.

Macrium Support Page - See toward the bottom, the section entitled, Macrium Reflect Free Product - End Of Life (EOL).

I created the following topic in the Chat Subgroup in November, and those who are not members there should check it out via this direct link to it in the archive:  The Absolute Need To Have a Backup Protocol If You Use an SSD

You need to backup, period, if you value your data, but the age of the SSD has made recovery from failed drives of that type far more expensive and far less successful on the whole.
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

       ~ Tom Masson

Brian Moore

would love to know how people use that thing with screen readers.  I have never gotten the interface to read. Perhaps I should try again.

contact me on

Linked in

or

Twitter

On 2022-12-08 12:35 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Chris Smart

Brian, when I follow the link in your signature to connect with you on Linked In, I get a “page not found”.

Chris

I wrote a tutorial on using Macrium Reflect with a screen reader:  Using Macrium Reflect Free with a Screen Reader

Not much point in pursuing that now unless it's just for your own amusement since its at end of life in barely more than a year from now.
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

       ~ Tom Masson

Brian Moore

we already are but I will scope it out.

contact me on

Linked in

or

Twitter

On 2022-12-08 12:48 p.m., Chris Smart wrote:

Brian, when I follow the link in your signature to connect with you on Linked In, I get a “page not found”.

Chris

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

I'm wondering if someone can help. I've recently bought IFL and there are a hole host of scripts that it's installed in the start menu to create the boot environment. Does anyone know the specific name of the script I need to click on to generate the win PE with narrator support in the terabyte unlimited folder?

Very best wishes,

Mo.

On 2022-12-08 9:43 a.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

I've used this for a day or so now and wow is it powerful. I am, however, a busy person with a decent amount of disk space set aside for backups, and I feel like figuring this thing out the way I want will take more time than I have in the next week or so.

Does anyone have any automated, shareable setups with this thing that they're happy with?

It'd be nice to do something like retain the last 7 daily, 4 weekly, 6 monthly, and maybe a yearly backup since I've occasionally needed a file from a backup months ago. I'm sure this is possible with Image for Windows but I feel like the backup tasks letting you assign your own filenames would make automating retention more difficult. Or am I missing something obvious? I'm sure I can write a retention script eventually, but I can't afford any bugs in that script, and my powershell skills probably aren't up to it. :)

FWIW I'm not opposed to reading manuals and have already spent some time with this one. I'm also a busy person who'd rather not keep manually initiating backups each day if he can avoid it. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

On 2022-12-08 9:43 a.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

The following dictum always applies:  Tool to task.

While some system imaging tools have powerful interfaces to pull back user data files individually, they don't generally version anything.  You get what is contained in the image from the moment it was taken.

If you need or want versioned user data file backups, it makes a lot more sense to use a tool dedicated to that.  In Windows, File History is just such a tool, but not the only one.

And if you're using your own backup drives on site, in the age of ransomware the one and only way I'd be initiating backups is manually, with the backup drive connected to the system only when taking said backup or restoring from one.   Ransomware is generally designed to encrypt all active drives it finds, and that includes connected external backup drives, USB thumb drives, SD cards, etc.
--

Brian Virginia, USA Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 22H2, Build 19045; Office 2016, Version 16.0.15726.20188, 32-bit

"Be Yourself" is the worst advice you can give to some people.

       ~ Tom Masson

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

Did you do one for restoring as well? Backing up is only half the story.

All the best

Steve

On Thu, Dec 15, 2022 at 05:38 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Did you do one for restoring as well?
-
No, because at the time that tutorial was created there was no way for a screen reader user to do a restore independently, as the "restore half" uses the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) which, at that time, had zero screen reader support as shipped.

I'm currently looking at alternatives to Macrium Free since it's coming to EOL.  I have been told that under Windows 10 and 11 Narrator is now a part of WinPE, and if that turns out to be the case when I start playing with recovery media then I would write one.

When it comes right down to it, and I've said it before, most of my sighted clients can't and don't want to do recovery themselves anyway.  Whether or not you can do it yourself, it's still vital that a backup protocol is in place so that someone can do it were a disaster to strike.  Having no backup means there is no possibility of recovery, period.