Topics

Seeking explanation of unusual pronunciation on a webpage

Pranav Lal

Edited

Hi all,

I am on NVDA beta 4. Please see the article at the below link.
Millimetre-precision drug delivery to the brain
https://ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2020/10/millimetre-precision-drug-delivery-to-the-brain.html

Why is espeak sounding strange? It seems to be overemphasizing some letter
sounds.

Is it because of the soft hyphens?
Pranav

Pranav,

        Thanks very much for including the URL of the page where you're experiencing the issue.  For some reason it split across two lines so I'm sending it out again so that anyone who wants to check it out can just click through:

https://ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2020/10/millimetre-precision-drug-delivery-to-the-brain.html

     ~ Kelley Boorn

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 09:51 AM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Is it because of the soft hyphens?
-
If by "soft hyphens" you mean splitting words across line ends with hyphens, I'd say yes.  I have no idea why someone would not use the far more typical flowing of whole words across lines.  Having the word "future" broken up as "fu" hyphen line break "ture" is but one example where I would expect problems.  And there are a lot of examples of this sort of hyphenation, and I've not seen it used since the age of the word processor began.  It was at least somewhat common when typewriters were the primary writing method, but not since.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Ralf Kefferpuetz

You can remove those soft hyphens with an entry in your  speech dictionary. Patern (without quotes): “­” and replacement empty.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 09:51 AM, Pranav Lal wrote:

Is it because of the soft hyphens?

-
If by "soft hyphens" you mean splitting words across line ends with hyphens, I'd say yes.  I have no idea why someone would not use the far more typical flowing of whole words across lines.  Having the word "future" broken up as "fu" hyphen line break "ture" is but one example where I would expect problems.  And there are a lot of examples of this sort of hyphenation, and I've not seen it used since the age of the word processor began.  It was at least somewhat common when typewriters were the primary writing method, but not since.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Pranav Lal

Thanks Brian and Ralph.

Pranav