Topics

sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

Robert Doc Wright godfearer
 

Has anyone gotten this command to work?

 

yes, i tried it and it worked fine.

On 6/6/20, Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:
Has anyone gotten this command to work?



--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Chris Mullins
 

                Hi

Yes, it works fine.  Just copy the text to the clipboard on the controlling computer then run the command.  Switch to the controlled computer and paste the text into whereever you want.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: 06 June 2020 09:54
To: NVDA SUPPORT
Subject: [nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

 

Has anyone gotten this command to work?

 

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

Yes, it works fine.  Copy text to the clipboard on the controlling machine, run the command, switch to the controlled machine and paste into a document or text based control.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: Robert Doc Wright godfearer
Sent: 06 June 2020 09:54
To: NVDA SUPPORT
Subject: [nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

 

Has anyone gotten this command to work?

 

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi, this only works with text right? You can not copy a file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?

On 06/06/2020 11:14, Chris Mullins wrote:
                Hi
Yes, it works fine.  Just copy the text to the clipboard on the controlling computer then run the command.  Switch to the controlled computer and paste the text into whereever you want.
Cheers
Chris
*From: *Robert Doc Wright godfearer <mailto:godfearer@...>
*Sent: *06 June 2020 09:54
*To: *NVDA SUPPORT <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject: *[nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine
Has anyone gotten this command to work?

Sarah k Alawami
 

I would guess not. I can see a legal battle if that were to ever be implemented.

Take care

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Jun 2020, at 13:38, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

Hi, this only works with text right? You can not copy a file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?

On 06/06/2020 11:14, Chris Mullins wrote:

                Hi

Yes, it works fine.  Just copy the text to the clipboard on the controlling computer then run the command.  Switch to the controlled computer and paste the text into whereever you want.

Cheers

Chris

*From: *Robert Doc Wright godfearer godfearer@...
*Sent: *06 June 2020 09:54
*To: *NVDA SUPPORT nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject: *[nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

Has anyone gotten this command to work?

Luke Davis
 

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I would guess not. I can see a legal battle if that were to ever be implemented.
Why, Sarah? Every other remote desktop platform out there can move files from one machine to the other. I know people who run their whole business that way: moving files to and from remote computers at remote locations without human employees via the Splashtop remote desktop tool, which they also use to control what happens to those files.

NVDA Remote really needs this capability.

If you let someone you don't trust into your computer, then you bear the outcome.

That aside, if someone is doing a remote session and really badly wants a file from you, there are several ways they can acquire it--SCP from your machine to another, a web uploader, an email attachment, good old FTP, and more.
It's all just much less convenient than having the remote desktop software do it.

Luke

Luke Davis
 

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

Hi, this only works with text right? You can not copy a file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?
I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted type text or data.
I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on the remote, selecting all, copying, sending it to the control, and pasting into another word document on my local machine.

A pain, but it works.

And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote, any file could be losslessly converted to text and moved this way. But that is a lot of effort.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami
 

That's true, I remember sendlink. I still don't really see this an option. I saw team viewer working that way when an aira agent copied a web address from my address bar to their clipboard and pasted into an incognito browser window.

Since though in the case of NVDA Remote we are going through servers, if the server owner let's say catches me sending an mp3 to someone via NVDA remote of the latest launch that happened last Saturday, I think they would probably have my head. Lol! And this is not using nvda remote servers either, this is a custom one someone set up.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 6 Jun 2020, at 21:09, Luke Davis wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I would guess not. I can see a legal battle if that were to ever be implemented.

Why, Sarah? Every other remote desktop platform out there can move files from one machine to the other. I know people who run their whole business that way: moving files to and from remote computers at remote locations without human employees via the Splashtop remote desktop tool, which they also use to control what happens to those files.

NVDA Remote really needs this capability.

If you let someone you don't trust into your computer, then you bear the outcome.

That aside, if someone is doing a remote session and really badly wants a file from you, there are several ways they can acquire it--SCP from your machine to another, a web uploader, an email attachment, good old FTP, and more.
It's all just much less convenient than having the remote desktop software do it.

Luke

Luke Davis
 

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Since though in the case of NVDA Remote we are going through servers, if the server owner let's say catches me sending an mp3 to someone via NVDA remote of
the latest launch that happened last Saturday, I think they would probably have my head. Lol! And this is not using nvda remote servers either, this is a
custom one someone set up.
There will have to be a terms of service document of some sort to protect remote server operators

But the transfer should be encrypted: the remote operator should never be able to determine anything of the contents that is moving across the session, be it keyboard input or files.

So if he catches you, he is the one unethically snooping.

Luke

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

In the help guide of the Remote Support add-on it states:

“The Push clipboard option in the remote menu allows you to push text from your clipboard. when activated, any text on the clipboard will be pushed to the other machines.”

What it doesn’t say is whether this command can be executed on both the controlling and controlled computers in the remote session.  When I have been the controlling user in a remote session I have used the Push Clipboard command to enable me to populate a text file previously created on the controlled machine but I have never done it the other way around as Luke describes below.    

 

Cheers

Chris

    

From: Luke Davis
Sent: 07 June 2020 05:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

 

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

 

> Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a file from local

> machine and send it to the remote machine?

 

I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted type text or data.

I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on the remote,

selecting all, copying, sending it to the control, and pasting into another word

document on my local machine.

 

A pain, but it works.

 

And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote, any file could be

losslessly converted to text and moved this way.  But that is a lot of effort.

 

Luke

 

 

 

 

Rui Fontes
 

It works in both directions...


I have used it several times...


Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team


Às 15:02 de 07/06/2020, Chris Mullins escreveu:

Hi

In the help guide of the Remote Support add-on it states:

“The Push clipboard option in the remote menu allows you to push text from your clipboard. when activated, any text on the clipboard will be pushed to the other machines.”

What it doesn’t say is whether this command can be executed on both the controlling and controlled computers in the remote session.  When I have been the controlling user in a remote session I have used the Push Clipboard command to enable me to populate a text file previously created on the controlled machine but I have never done it the other way around as Luke describes below.    

 

Cheers

Chris

    

From: Luke Davis
Sent: 07 June 2020 05:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

 

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

 

> Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a file from local

> machine and send it to the remote machine?

 

I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted type text or data.

I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on the remote,

selecting all, copying, sending it to the control, and pasting into another word

document on my local machine.

 

A pain, but it works.

 

And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote, any file could be

losslessly converted to text and moved this way.  But that is a lot of effort.

 

Luke

 

 

 

 

Chris Mullins
 

Hi Rui

That is good to know but I think it rases an issue.  I appreciate that text should be able to pass both ways within the remote connection but having a Push option on each end blurs the distinction between the controlling and controlled computers.  The user of the controlled computer is able to use the push command and compromise the clipboard of the controlling computer, which should not be so.  Could the “push clipboard” entry on the Remote Menu be replaced by  “Push clipbord to remote” and “Pull clipboard from remote” entries which are greyed out on a machine if it is connected as a controlled computer.  When the controlling user uses the Pull command, it could execute the “push” related code on the controlled computer, so would utilise existing routines but functionality would be where it should be, with the Controlling machine.         

 

I am a big fan of the Remote Support feature of NVDA but I don’t find the associated Help text very helpful.

 

Cheers

Chris

From: Rui Fontes
Sent: 07 June 2020 15:06
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

 

It works in both directions...

 

I have used it several times...

 

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

 

Às 15:02 de 07/06/2020, Chris Mullins escreveu:

Hi

In the help guide of the Remote Support add-on it states:

“The Push clipboard option in the remote menu allows you to push text from your clipboard. when activated, any text on the clipboard will be pushed to the other machines.”

What it doesn’t say is whether this command can be executed on both the controlling and controlled computers in the remote session.  When I have been the controlling user in a remote session I have used the Push Clipboard command to enable me to populate a text file previously created on the controlled machine but I have never done it the other way around as Luke describes below.    

 

Cheers

Chris

    

From: Luke Davis
Sent: 07 June 2020 05:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] sends the contents of the clipboard to the remote machine

 

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

 

> Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a file from local

> machine and send it to the remote machine?

 

I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted type text or data.

I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on the remote,

selecting all, copying, sending it to the control, and pasting into another word

document on my local machine.

 

A pain, but it works.

 

And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote, any file could be

losslessly converted to text and moved this way.  But that is a lot of effort.

 

Luke

 

 

 

 

 

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi Look, agreed. and I do not know why this has not been added yet to this addon. maybe one day it might be done but I remember asking on list some time ago about this and was told more or Les this is not going to happen. it's a shame as it is a nice addon but if I want to install a program on the remote machine I can not go from local machine copy a file switch over to the remote machine and paste the file over. now I am sure that remote desk top can do it and it is good as well but only in windows10 pro. I said windows10 because this is what most of us use now a days. Sara I did not reply because I have had other stuff going on but when I did read Your post I just thoughtstrange comment. but each to there own not having a go at You so please do not take it the wrong way.

On 07/06/2020 05:09, Luke Davis wrote:
 On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I would guess not. I can see a legal battle if that were to ever be implemented.
Why, Sarah? Every other remote desktop platform out there can move files from one machine to the other. I know people who run their whole business that way: moving files to and from remote computers at remote locations without human employees via the Splashtop remote desktop tool, which they also use to control what happens to those files.
NVDA Remote really needs this capability.
If you let someone you don't trust into your computer, then you bear the outcome.
That aside, if someone is doing a remote session and really badly wants a file from you, there are several ways they can acquire it--SCP from your machine to another, a web uploader, an email attachment, good old FTP, and more.
It's all just much less convenient than having the remote desktop software do it.
Luke

Kevin Cussick
 

thanks look for posting.

On 07/06/2020 05:14, Luke Davis wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?
I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted type text or data.
I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on the remote, selecting all, copying, sending it to the control, and pasting into another word document on my local machine.
A pain, but it works.
And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote, any file could be losslessly converted to text and moved this way.  But that is a lot of effort.
Luke

Sarah k Alawami
 

Have you filed an issue on their github if they have one/ if so what has then their response? I know with team viewer It's text only if I recall, as it was only text that they copied over from my address bar to theirs.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 8 Jun 2020, at 13:23, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

thanks look for posting.

On 07/06/2020 05:14, Luke Davis wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?

I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted type text or data.
I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on the remote, selecting all, copying, sending it to the control, and pasting into another word document on my local machine.

A pain, but it works.

And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote, any file could be losslessly converted to text and moved this way.  But that is a lot of effort.

Luke

Kevin Cussick
 

Hi, no I must admit I have not. but did ask on this list some years ago and one of the devs said this is not needed. I think they said use team viewer this does this. I do not know if it does or not? I just know nvda remote does not do this and I and others wished it could.

On 08/06/2020 21:38, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Have you filed an issue on their github if they have one/ if so what has then their response? I know with team viewer It's text only if I recall, as it was only text that they copied over from my address bar to theirs.
Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com>
to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp> and you can also follow us on twitter <http://twitter.com/tffppodcast>
Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.
For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast> You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.
Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>
On 8 Jun 2020, at 13:23, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:
thanks look for posting.
On 07/06/2020 05:14, Luke Davis wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:
Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a
file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?
I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted
type text or data.
I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on
the remote, selecting all, copying, sending it to the control,
and pasting into another word document on my local machine.
A pain, but it works.
And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote,
any file could be losslessly converted to text and moved this
way.  But that is a lot of effort.
Luke

 

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 12:09 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Every other remote desktop platform out there can move files from one machine to the other.
-- End Quoted Material --

Well, Microsoft's own Quick Assist does not.  I'd have to imagine it's not alone.  The ones I know of that do have their own built-in mechanisms for selecting the file on one side, sending it, then fetching it on the other.  It's not a straight copy and paste in the conventional sense.
 
I just submitted feedback minutes ago regarding the inability, in Quick Assist, to copy text on the assistant's side then paste it on the remote side, and vice versa.  That would likely require a special paste button that's a part of the remote session, but that's still way easier than having to do workarounds.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

 

 

Sarah k Alawami
 

Team viewer does do this. But the price model is kind of high if this is what you want to do this, so I would file on their github page and see where it ttakes you, and post a link here when you do to the issue page.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 8 Jun 2020, at 14:38, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

Hi, no I must admit I have not. but did ask on this list some years ago and one of the devs said this is not needed. I think they said use team viewer this does this. I do not know if it does or not? I just know nvda remote does not do this and I and others wished it could.

On 08/06/2020 21:38, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Have you filed an issue on their github if they have one/ if so what has then their response? I know with team viewer It's text only if I recall, as it was only text that they copied over from my address bar to theirs.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. <http://www.tffppodcast.com>

to subscribe to the feed click here <http://feeds.feedburner.com/tffp> and you can also follow us on twitter <http://twitter.com/tffppodcast>

Our discord <http://discord.tffppodcast.com> is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@ke7zum> and my tffp lbry page <http://lbry.tv/@tffppodcast> You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here <Http://patreon.com/tffppodcast>

On 8 Jun 2020, at 13:23, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

thanks look for posting.

On 07/06/2020 05:14, Luke Davis wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020, Kevin Cussick via groups.io wrote:

Hi,   this only works with text right?   You can not copy a
file from local machine and send it to the remote machine?

I have not tried it with graphical content or other formatted
type text or data.
I have transferred word documents this way, by opening them on
the remote, selecting all, copying, sending it to the control,
and pasting into another word document on my local machine.

A pain, but it works.

And if there is a MIME encoder (or UU Encoder) on the remote,
any file could be losslessly converted to text and moved this
way.  But that is a lot of effort.

Luke

 

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 04:22 PM, Kevin Cussick wrote:
but if I want to install a program on the remote machine I can not go from local machine copy a file switch over to the remote machine and paste the file over.
I do want to comment directly on this.  At one time, before the ubiquity of cloud drive access, this would have been a lot more necessary than it is now.

If I know I will be needing or wanting to transfer files between two machines during a remote session, I can easily open something in Google Drive, or Amazon S3 storage, or OneDrive on each side that is accessing the very same folder where I can cut from my local machine and paste to cloud storage (or upload to cloud storage, it really depends on the exact interface being used) and where I can do the converse on the other end.

Moving files between machines has probably never been easier than it is now with the myriad of cloud storage options available, a very great many of them free.

But having text be pushable from one side of the remote session to the other using the clipboard is impossible in many instances, and remains so.  I was just working with someone across the country with an Outlook VBA issue, and I could not cut the script text (or parts of it) on my end and paste it there (which is what would have typically made the most sense if we were not talking a remote session).  I had to e-mail several different things so that I could actually copy and paste them on the remote side, as there was no other way to get them there otherwise.

Mind you, had I been really desperate to have repeated, ongoing, exchange of text I would probably create a file on cloud storage that I could open on either end and paste text in to it on the source side and copy it out on the target side and do with it what was needed.  But that's still a lot less convenient than being able to copy to the clipboard and hit a command to say, "push the contents of my clipboard to the remote side,"  and have a way to just paste on that side. 
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

      ~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019